What Went Wrong At Donnington 2006?

Jordan Rose

I've just come across for the first time these two soundboard recordings of Axl's private rants to the band, crew and management which presumably somebody on the festival end had a hold of and released to embarass Axl.

Axl complains that someone is blocking the runway and he's been fucked around 5 time and his mic pack needs plugging in. Then Tommy gets hit by a bottle, throws his guitar and hits someone and apologises. Merck tells Axl they're outta time and to go Robin then Paradise and Axl says 'you aren't in the band and telling me to leave the stage is the only thing you've got right, congrats'.

But I get the feeling there was more going on than technical difficulties.

I went to the all the shows on the UK tour in 2006, and they were all fantastic. At Donnington, it was a combination of people throwing bottles onto the stage, technical problems and also the accasion expecting too much.

I think GN'R turned it around right after Rons solo, which saved the day as the crowd all sang Don't Cry. It was a brilliant show, which also featured Tommy on the drums during UTLH, because Brain obviously needed a piss, lol.

LOVE Brain, he rocks. rock3

Some people called it "the many moods of Axl Rose" show because it was on the verge of falling apart and managed to pull it together. When the audience wasn't theirs and he couldn't do anything about the heckling element, it was def. one of those shows GNR had to prove themselves.

I think we have a decision to fucking make… I’m supposed to do my job, you’re supposed to fucking do yours, Tommy is supposed to do his and whoever the else the fuck supposed to do theirs including the stupid idiot who keeps blocking the runaway over here has to do theirs. Or I don’t need to be here, it’s that fucking simple. I’ve been fucked about five or six times down here and I’m sick of it. I mean, it wouldn’t take fucking rocket scientist for someone to come and hook up my mic back but you couldn’t do that, why not? Fell asleep on the prelude?

Why is it no-one ever spells Donington correctly? it actually takes more effort to type "Donnington" as well...

lol - I always thought it was Don(n)ington :P

Thanks for pointing it out, Graeme!

Nighttrain at Donington is my favorite Nightrain of all and Donington IMO is one of the most important of all New Guns shows.

Allow me to ween myself back to the forum and jump in here. I made the videos in the OP. Each picture change in the first video represents a different part of the show. And no, I don't think this was released by the promoter as a way to get back at Axl. The entire show exists on bootleg from Axl's IEM source in the same way the Tokyo shows do.

As for which song Axl was referring to, he said that after Robin and Richard's Beautiful solo but I doubt that was the "most important" song of the night. :lol:

He was probably talking about SCOM because he left the stage after it due to "technical difficulties". Don't take my word for it though. I'm basing most of this on memory.

Allow me to ween myself back to the forum and jump in here. I made the videos in the OP. Each picture change in the first video represents a different part of the show. And no, I don't think this was released by the promoter as a way to get back at Axl. The entire show exists on bootleg from Axl's IEM source in the same way the Tokyo shows do.

As for which song Axl was referring to, he said that after Robin and Richard's Beautiful solo but I doubt that was the "most important" song of the night. :lol:

He was probably talking about SCOM because he left the stage after it due to "technical difficulties". Don't take my word for it though. I'm basing most of this on memory.

Oh! I don't think I have that. So basically a SB boot with Axl's vocals really high in the mix plus all the chatter?

heres the video for YCBM.. it looks like hes trying to hear something around 3:29, and 3:34 he looks to the side, then tosses the mic at 3:46

also i have a question, why doesnt anyone sing the vocals if axl walks off? Tommy is clearly behind his mic the whole time this happened. is it fear?