If Led Zeppelin had continued past 1980...?

Vincent Vega

Their legacy probably wouldn't be near the level it is now. Plants voice had gone by the mid-80's. Probably would've gone the Aerosmith route, changing their sound to remain relevant in the late 80's and doing nostalgia tours now. Or, go the KISS route and say goodbye to a few members and churn out new albums every few years, and retain die-hards, casual and new fans alike.

Their legacy probably wouldn't be near the level it is now. Plants voice had gone by the mid-80's. Probably would've gone the Aerosmith route, changing their sound to remain relevant in the late 80's and doing nostalgia tours now. Or, go the KISS route and say goodbye to a few members and churn out new albums every few years, and retain die-hards, casual and new fans alike.

Or The Rolling Stones route, where they have a megatour every five years or so, with the occasional album.

Plant's voice wasn't gone, it changed, just some of the notes he hit at 20-25, he couldn't do towards the end of the 70s. He could still hit the notes here and there, and his voice for 30 years has been pretty constant live.

I think they've answered the 'what if' before... Plant seemed ready to leave Led Zeppelin, but there was still a huge demand to go see them at the time in the US.

"In Through the Out Door" was probably the moment where people just heard it and went "where the fuck is Jimmy Page"? He was waiting for the follow-up that never happened. I do think had Bonham lived, they would've done a final album with way more crunching guitars and solos, Bonzo going apeshit on drums, probably going back to how they recorded Led Zep I, and then broke the band up (or would sit the rest of the decade out) after one more tour.

Would have been interesting how they would have done in the dawn of the MTV age(back when MTV played music videos).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjRFTIhxnA

Actually I was referring to John Bonham. The other 3 guys looked pretty good, but Bonham towards the end was getting kind of fat. Nobody cared back then because you only saw him if you went to a show. With the MTV age, he would have had to lose some weight, get in shape, maybe do some rehab, etc...

I refer you to the careers of Rush and Heart in the 80s as reference. Both Zeppelin by-products went all out synth pop at the turn of the decade. I could see Zeppelin experimenting with that sound more and more. Maybe they could've had a hit like Yes' Owner Of A Lonely Heart.

Regardless of any potential new sound, they would have maintained god status and continued to fill football stadiums.

One dose of Black Dog or Rock n' Roll and the entire place would have had simultaneous orgasm.

Any tour would have continued to be lauded much like a Stones tour..an event.

A must attend event.

This would have continued to this day...I guarantee it.

Regardless of any potential new sound, they would have maintained god status and continued to fill football stadiums.

One dose of Black Dog or Rock n' Roll and the entire place would have had simultaneous orgasm.

Any tour would have continued to be lauded much like a Stones tour..an event.

A must attend event.

This would have continued to this day...I guarantee it.

This, they are one of those few mega bands (I'm biased though lol i love zeppelin)

They did fold it in at the right time but i wish like hell they would do one final tour or show. The o2 was a hell our a send off but i wasnt there lol

Edited by ZoSoRose