How bad meet and greets can really be (New KISS one especially)

ZoSoRose

One of everyone's "favorite" topics to fight about lately has been GNR's vip packages. I have always taken the stance that if you have the money, than why the hell not? Of course, an experience is better if it happens by chance or for free and can defiantly be more genuine. But I really dont hate the concept of vip meet and greets.

I do have to say that it sucks Axl does not go, but the fact that they are really 200- 300 dollars really isnt that bad. I have been to two, one from Joe Satriani, and the other Slash. Satch was about 300 (luckily my friend's family paid for mine, they are really nice) and Slash was 500 (which I also did not pay for because I had a connection). The Satch one really gave you your bang for your buck, you got a long Q and A, autograph session, and a bunch of gear. Slash was significantly shorter but it was still great to meet him. Everyone in the vip packages were psyched to be there, even though they were a lot of money.

Now 200- 500 dollars is a ton of money, but what a lot of other acts charge is just insane. The Aerosmith "wheels up package" was well over 1000 this year and you only got a quick hand shake with Steven and Joe, Ozzy charged over 1000 on his last tour, Roget Waters, The Who, and Van Halen all offer VIP packages 500- 1000+ and you dont even meet the band, and KISS is the most notorious as they charge about 1500.

Anyways, check out this, it is absolutely insane.

http://www.paulstanleyguitars.com/

5000 for a smashed guitar.... of course it is, "smashed in your honor" but that is just fucking insane. You are paying well over 10 times the cost of that guitar for a quick hand shake, and to have it personally destroyed for you. Im guilty, Im a huge KISS fan, but this is just hilarious to me. :rofl-lol:

More power to people that do it and love it though.

If you want a cheaper option you can get a stage used mic for only 3000 and of course, dont forget to buy your ticket since it isnt included

Edited by ZoSoRose

Kiss was $1000 when I did it in '09. They've added a few things since which pushed it up to $1500, like where they give you a private acoustic set before the show where you can literally request songs. Pretty cool. Basically a small scale of what they did on the convention tour.

They have it all very tightly organized. You can tell they've been doing it for a long time. The $1000 included your ticket within the first 5 rows on the floor, exclusive merchandise (limited run t-shirt and poster, tour guitar picks, etc...), signed picture of the band, and free merchandise from the online store of your choosing (up to $150 I think). Then the meet and greet itself of course, which started with everybody getting a photo of them with the band before the band would split up and you could talk to them as you pleased and get them to sign whatever you brought. It was supposed to be limited to 2 items but they were pretty generous about doing extras as long as everybody got their time with them.

If Guns did something similar and Axl was guaranteed to show, then $300 would totally be worth it. I had no regrets about dropping the money on KISS. It was a great experience thanks to the organization and generosity of the band members. Made everybody feel welcome and made sure everybody had a sufficient amount of time with each member before they sent us to our seats just in time for the band to take the stage.

That's mental! Who on earth is going for that? There must be a market for it.

Maybe Axl should give it a go. Ten thousand dollars and Axl Rose will smash a camera for you and punch you in the mouth.

:lol:

Maybe Axl should give it a go. Ten thousand dollars and Axl Rose will smash a camera for you and punch you in the mouth.

HA! Some would pay for that!

Kiss was $1000 when I did it in '09. They've added a few things since which pushed it up to $1500, like where they give you a private acoustic set before the show where you can literally request songs. Pretty cool. Basically a small scale of what they did on the convention tour.

They have it all very tightly organized. You can tell they've been doing it for a long time. The $1000 included your ticket within the first 5 rows on the floor, exclusive merchandise (limited run t-shirt and poster, tour guitar picks, etc...), signed picture of the band, and free merchandise from the online store of your choosing (up to $150 I think). Then the meet and greet itself of course, which started with everybody getting a photo of them with the band before the band would split up and you could talk to them as you pleased and get them to sign whatever you brought. It was supposed to be limited to 2 items but they were pretty generous about doing extras as long as everybody got their time with them.

If Guns did something similar and Axl was guaranteed to show, then $300 would totally be worth it. I had no regrets about dropping the money on KISS. It was a great experience thanks to the organization and generosity of the band members. Made everybody feel welcome and made sure everybody had a sufficient amount of time with each member before they sent us to our seats just in time for the band to take the stage.

:lol:

i do have to say, that is awesome they are doing acoustic shows like that. did not know that, would love to go to one of those. glad you loved your experience! rock3

His artwork goes for 20K, all it did was attract a lot of KISS fans to an art gallery and meet the guy.

This is just retirement nest egg stuff.

A lot cheaper and the guitar's still intact.

http://www.acefrehley.com/store/af02.php

You left out the signed mic!

Well, there are really rich fans out there who are desperate to meet their idols. Hell, if I got the money, I wont mind.

Not really. I think its pretty scum if anything. Its totally gouging fans who have already displayed their fandom by buying your tickets, your merch, your CDs, your videos etc. If you can't meet them for essentially nothing its a rip IMO.

• Like 1

Well, there are really rich fans out there who are desperate to meet their idols. Hell, if I got the money, I wont mind.

Not really. I think its pretty scum if anything. Its totally gouging fans who have already displayed their fandom by buying your tickets, your merch, your CDs, your videos etc. If you can't meet them for essentially nothing its a rip IMO.

Yes but, when you have millions of fans wanting to meet you? How on earth do you do that? There has to be a system.

Edited by Nintari

In it for the money. I will never pay an extra dime to see my favourite artist. To me it has to be a spontaneous meeting and not an arranged one. Sad to see that bands like Metallica, GNR, Kiss and so on have become a brand rather than a band.

• Like 1

Metallica do it for free (via their paid fan club) which is a pretty good deal IMO.

How can it be free when you have to pay first to become a member of their fanclub?
It costs $45 to join the Metallica club. $45 and you have an extremely good chance of attending a meet and greet if Metallica decide to tour the year of your membership (not mentioning the things you get with your membership, mags, t-shirts and stuff). Nobody can accuse Metallica of ripping off their fans here. It would be wonderful if gnr set up a similar club instead of the god awful rip off club they have now.

Metallica do it for free (via their paid fan club) which is a pretty good deal IMO.

How can it be free when you have to pay first to become a member of their fanclub?
What so $60 or so a year that gets you a t shirt, hat and a whole bunch of other crap such as access to premium tickets is asking too much when they throw in a meet and greet where you can get as much shit signed as you want, take as many photos and hang with the band and talk as long as you want?

Kiss is renowned for squeezing every dime out of their audience, they'd sell their mothers for a quick dime. The reason these meet & greets are so expensive is of course the big demand, but if you're clever you try to get backstage an other way (via press, connections or fanclub, ...) I'd love to meet the GnR members, but aside from Axl I don't think it would be that hard to get to meet Bumblefoot, DJ, Richard, ... They seem to show up at events etc.