David Bowie

dalsh327

Alright, where do I start with Bowie? Always meant to listen to his stuff and I like the new song.

A quick and cheap entry would be the 2 Best Of Bowie albums- one covers the first half of the 70's and the other the second half.

I would also highly recommend the double live album STAGE, from the 1978 tour, and the Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture Soundtrack is (in my opinion) The Spiders From Mars live at the height of their powers.

I'll give a rundown, starting from the first (IMO) great album he did

*The Man Who Sold The World (1970): strong hard rock element, contains the epic "Width Of A Circle" among other deep cuts. First album with Mick Ronson on guitar, features long time collaborator and producer Tony Visconti on bass.

*Hunky Dory (1971): a lot more folky/acoustic and piano driven, contains staples such as Life On Mars, Oh You Pretty Things and Changes.

*The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (1972): what can be said? It's an all rounder and legendary album, though you'll eventually prefer others.

*Aladdin Sane (1973): a bit of a hodge podge album as some tracks were recorded while on the American tour ( like Jean Genie, Let's Spend The Night Together) and some in France. A continuation of the Ziggy Stardust sound and style.

*Pin Ups (1973): a brilliant rock and roll covers album and a farewell to Mick Ronson/The Spiders From Mars. Aynsley Dunbar replaced Mick Woodmansey on drums for this and plays out of his skin. Bowie and the band sound so good on this.

*Diamond Dogs (1974): Bowie solo again, he plays all the guitar on this bar one track. A dark and bizarre album that also contains the upbeat "Rebel Rebel". The Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing Reprise suite is legendary.

*Young Americans (1975): having dropped the "glam" image and sound on the Diamond Dogs tour, this album is Dave's plastic, Philly Soul and a very strong album. First album with long time guitarist Carlos Alomar.

*Station To Station (1976): a progression on the "plastic soul" direction, this is the era of "The Thin White Duke" persona. Only 6 songs, but nearly every one is a Bowie classic. Earl Slick on lead guitar and the awesome rhythm section of George Murray and Dennis Davis.

*Low (1977): the first of the Eno or "Berlin Trilogy" and yet another new direction. Nearly half the songs are instrumental. Highly recommended.

*Heroes (1977): a "rockier" continuation of the Low sound, this is an even more triumphant record...King Crimson's Robert Fripp slays on guitar alongside Alomar, Murray and Davis. Bombastic, strange and wonderful.

*Lodger (1979): the last of the "Berlin Trilogy" (even though it wasn't recorded there) and features Adrian Belew on lead guitar. No instrumentals on this one. Often overlooked.

*Scary Monsters...and Super Creeps (1980): often hailed as the last great Bowie album, this contains Ashes To Ashes and the monstrous Fashion with Robert Fripp. Last album with George Murray and Dennis Davis.

*Let's Dance (1983): Bowie sells out and goes mainstream? Produced by Nile Rodgers and with Stevie Ray Vaughn on lead guitar. It's well worth getting.

*Tonight (1984): basically a covers album for the most part retaining the sound of Let's Dance. A bit of a stopgap, and not that strong an album.

*Never Let Me Down (1987): part brilliant, part turd. Time Will Crawl is one of the best and most underrated songs Bowie has ever done.

yarr, I'll post more later

I wasn't really familiar with Bowie's music aside from his biggest hits and holy shit, this is just what i've needed

Thanks Dr. Doom!

This is a fun video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7dMBcg-gE

Edited by Strange Broue

• 1 month later...

The movie Merry Christmas mr. Lawrence is a great movie as well. I absolutaly love it.

The music for it composed by co star Ryuichi Sakamoto is great and should get a mention as well.

I loved Bowie since a young kid, I am so sad.

Have these two ever appeared on thee same stage together to sing this song live?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoDh_gHDvkk

Not to my knowledge but I love that someone made that video with all the footage from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ildVYgYWPqc

That's something I would have thought of but never followed through on.

David never performed Under Pressure with Queen until the FMTC. But the video for the Rah Mix from Greatest Hits III uses Wembley 86 and the FMTC to make a great video making it appear they did perform it together. Before their MK Bowl show in 1982 it was rumored Bowie was there to perform with them. They really missed a great opportunity at LIVE AID to perform it together.

I'm really digging Reality. I bought it back in 2003 when it was first released and hated it. I started listening to it this morning and it's so much better than I remember.

Edited by luciusfunk

Been listening to a lot of my old Bowie albums lately. Scary Monsters was a very underrated gem. Love songs like Teenage Wildlife, It's No Game, Scream Like A Baby, Because You're Young and of course, Ashes To Ashes. Probably his best 80s release imo.

Did you ever hear the big two he did with Iggy? I consider them very much like a duo album.

Keith-Moon-and-David-Bowie.jpg

*gasp* is that who i think it is with Bowie?!?

Been listening to a lot of my old Bowie albums lately. Scary Monsters was a very underrated gem. Love songs like Teenage Wildlife, It's No Game, Scream Like A Baby, Because You're Young and of course, Ashes To Ashes. Probably his best 80s release imo.

Did you ever hear the big two he did with Iggy? I consider them very much like a duo album.

You talking about The Idiot and Lust For Life?

I'm not that familiar with Iggy's stuff to be honest.

I am yes, should DEFINITELY check out The Idiot man. And Raw Power as an aside which, hand on heart now, when you do hear it turn it WAY the fuck up and name me a better out and out rock n roll album you've ever heard, if such a thing exists, i have faith in you Towelie, despite your dire taste in sitcoms!

I am yes, should DEFINITELY check out The Idiot man. And Raw Power as an aside which, hand on heart now, when you do hear it turn it WAY the fuck up and name me a better out and out rock n roll album you've ever heard, if such a thing exists, i have faith in you Towelie, despite your dire taste in sitcoms!

Yeah, I've been meaning to check out Iggy for some time. When I get over my latest Bowie obsession I'll give it a whirl and let you know what I think.