David Bowie

dalsh327

Those Springsteen covers are fantastic.

I think I find Bowie to be one of the least "accessible" popular artists ever. It took me years before I really appreciated him or his music, and I'm still easing my way through his discography. I mean, he has some obvious pop hits or whatever, but outside of those he just has so much "low key" stuff and I'm starting to love a little bit more of it all the time.

I first saw David Bowie in the early 70's when he was Ziggy Stardust. He has been changing his persona every since. Bowie is an entertainer and a performer. He was the first singer that actually changed his costumes and acted out his songs. He was one of a kind. He was never boring and always on spot.

I've seen Bowie many times during the 70's and had all his albums then too.

I kind of got into other bands since then, but yeah, Bowie is one of the most talented musician writers ever.

• 2 years later...

Alright, where do I start with Bowie? Always meant to listen to his stuff and I like the new song.

A quick and cheap entry would be the 2 Best Of Bowie albums- one covers the first half of the 70's and the other the second half.

I would also highly recommend the double live album STAGE, from the 1978 tour, and the Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture Soundtrack is (in my opinion) The Spiders From Mars live at the height of their powers.

I'll give a rundown, starting from the first (IMO) great album he did

*The Man Who Sold The World (1970): strong hard rock element, contains the epic "Width Of A Circle" among other deep cuts. First album with Mick Ronson on guitar, features long time collaborator and producer Tony Visconti on bass.

*Hunky Dory (1971): a lot more folky/acoustic and piano driven, contains staples such as Life On Mars, Oh You Pretty Things and Changes.

*The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (1972): what can be said? It's an all rounder and legendary album, though you'll eventually prefer others.

*Aladdin Sane (1973): a bit of a hodge podge album as some tracks were recorded while on the American tour ( like Jean Genie, Let's Spend The Night Together) and some in France. A continuation of the Ziggy Stardust sound and style.

*Pin Ups (1973): a brilliant rock and roll covers album and a farewell to Mick Ronson/The Spiders From Mars. Aynsley Dunbar replaced Mick Woodmansey on drums for this and plays out of his skin. Bowie and the band sound so good on this.

*Diamond Dogs (1974): Bowie solo again, he plays all the guitar on this bar one track. A dark and bizarre album that also contains the upbeat "Rebel Rebel". The Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing Reprise suite is legendary.

*Young Americans (1975): having dropped the "glam" image and sound on the Diamond Dogs tour, this album is Dave's plastic, Philly Soul and a very strong album. First album with long time guitarist Carlos Alomar.

*Station To Station (1976): a progression on the "plastic soul" direction, this is the era of "The Thin White Duke" persona. Only 6 songs, but nearly every one is a Bowie classic. Earl Slick on lead guitar and the awesome rhythm section of George Murray and Dennis Davis.

*Low (1977): the first of the Eno or "Berlin Trilogy" and yet another new direction. Nearly half the songs are instrumental. Highly recommended.

*Heroes (1977): a "rockier" continuation of the Low sound, this is an even more triumphant record...King Crimson's Robert Fripp slays on guitar alongside Alomar, Murray and Davis. Bombastic, strange and wonderful.

*Lodger (1979): the last of the "Berlin Trilogy" (even though it wasn't recorded there) and features Adrian Belew on lead guitar. No instrumentals on this one. Often overlooked.

*Scary Monsters...and Super Creeps (1980): often hailed as the last great Bowie album, this contains Ashes To Ashes and the monstrous Fashion with Robert Fripp. Last album with George Murray and Dennis Davis.

*Let's Dance (1983): Bowie sells out and goes mainstream? Produced by Nile Rodgers and with Stevie Ray Vaughn on lead guitar. It's well worth getting.

*Tonight (1984): basically a covers album for the most part retaining the sound of Let's Dance. A bit of a stopgap, and not that strong an album.

*Never Let Me Down (1987): part brilliant, part turd. Time Will Crawl is one of the best and most underrated songs Bowie has ever done.

yarr, I'll post more later

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 2

I think David loves being a father and maybe because he's a lot older, wanted to cut back on working in film and making music, he also got to see his son do well as a director. He did more than his share of partying.

There's a one hour documentary on Showtime called "Five Years".

The 2 DVD Best Of pretty much has all the hits on there (and some hidden videos).

I'd include Iggy's "The Idiot" and "Lust For Life", plus Bowie recorded some of those songs on his later albums. The "appreciation" is also towards the people he worked with on those albums, especially the lead guitarists.

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 1

The "appreciation" is also towards the people he worked with on those albums, especially the lead guitarists.

Mick Ronson, Earl Slick, Carlos Alomar, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Reeves Gabrels...holy fucking shit.

George Murray and Dennis Davis are an incredibly underrated rhythm section too, those guys went off.

Even in the later years, Gail Ann Dorsey with Zach Alford or Sterling Campbell were absolutely top notch.

I find something like Station To Station way heavier than *xyz* metal band/song, so many Bowie tunes have a crushing bass/drum combo.

• Like 1

For those who are big Ziggy era fans I would skip the Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture SOundtrack and get this new bootleg which is sourced from recording engineer, Robin Mayhem's, SB recording so it is near official quality IMHO and it does not have any overdubs and includes the Jeff Beck guest songs which were omitted from the official soundtrack album as, rumour has it, Beck did not like his playing that night. You can also buy this from RObin directly for much less money, less than 1/2 the cost of the bootleg, although it is a CDR instead of a silver disc releases if that matters to you.

http://www.robinmayhew.co.uk/pages/rmshop.htm

A must for every Bowie fans collection.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/bowie-david/david-bowie-the-last-show-well-ever-do-eat-a-peach-6869/

Also highly recommended is this official live release for the Ziggy era. Not as good as the above live bootleg but still a SB quality recording

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Santa-Monica-BOWIE-DAVID/dp/B00EMKVDW8/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1448298241&sr=1-2&keywords=David+Bowie+live

Edit: almost forgot this brilliant release from Bowie's early career........

http://www.amazon.com/Bowie-At-Beeb-Radio-Sessions/dp/B00004Y5A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1448376816&sr=1-1&keywords=David+Bowie+BBC

Edited by classicrawker

• 2 weeks later...

Who is Dexter and Michael C Hall? And whats fan fiction?

Dexter is an American TV show about a serial killer who struggles to find his humanity. Dexter follows a code in that he channels his dark urges by only killing bad people. Michael C Hall. Is a very handsome and great actor. I loved the show and character so much that I wrote a happy ending for him. I was able to give this story to Michael 2 and a half years ago. The fact that he liked it and remembered me is a true Rocky Balboa moment for me.