David Bowie

dalsh327

Start with Raw Power and start loud...then go the Bowie route! But loud, remember loud, i can't stress this enough! :lol: Shake Appeal makes me convulse...in a good way I mean :lol:

Fuck me, I just saw that China Girl was released by Iggy before Bowie. Was it an actual cover or did they co-write it?

Co-wrote but apparently it was mostly Iggy...and you can tell too, they don't sound like Bowie lyrics. It was Iggy who was actually into the China Girl that the songs about.

Yeah, those are some sinister fucking lyrics in that one. Never quite understood what the song was about, but the references to Nazism and domination are a bit creepy over such a catchy little pop ditty.

Co-wrote but apparently it was mostly Iggy...and you can tell too, they don't sound like Bowie lyrics. It was Iggy who was actually into the China Girl that the songs about.

Yeah, those are some sinister fucking lyrics in that one. Never quite understood what the song was about, but the references to Nazism and domination are a bit creepy over such a catchy little pop ditty.

It's about Iggy falling love with this Chinese bird...'my little china girl, you shouldn't mess with me, i'll ruin everything you are' he will ruin her purity with his filthy western ways'...'i'll give you television, i'll give you eyes of blue', i always thought it was pretty obvious what it was about. 'i feel tragic like i was Marlon Brando' was like the most magnificent lyric i heard at the time.

It's about Iggy falling love with this Chinese bird...'my little china girl, you shouldn't mess with me, i'll ruin everything you are' he will ruin her purity with his filthy western ways'...'i'll give you television, i'll give you eyes of blue', i always thought it was pretty obvious what it was about. 'i feel tragic like i was Marlon Brando' was like the most magnificent lyric i heard at the time.

I think was a bit thrown off by the "visions of swastikas" line - always sounded a bit fucked up to me.

I think was a bit thrown off by the "visions of swastikas" line - always sounded a bit fucked up to me.

That line just basically refers to the western male ID, presenting the western male as like...the most powerful paradigm of the human species, hence 'i'll give you a man who wanna rule the world!'

Its worth noting you know that in this celebration of Bowie now people forget his dalliance with fascist imagery and his comments in a paper about how 'England could do with a fascist dictator' and that whole salute thing, it coincided with the Clapton thing and led to Rock Against Racism.

I think its bollocks personally but still convenitently forgotten eh?

That line just basically refers to the western male ID, presenting the western male as like...the most powerful paradigm of the human species, hence 'i'll give you a man who wanna rule the world!'

Its worth noting you know that in this celebration of Bowie now people forget his dalliance with fascist imagery and his comments in a paper about how 'England could do with a fascist dictator' and that whole salute thing, it coincided with the Clapton thing and led to Rock Against Racism.

I think its bollocks personally but still convenitently forgotten eh?

Yeah, I remember hearing about that a while back. The same as Bowie, Iggy, Page, Jagger and that whole lot screwing 13 year olds back in the day. Shhh, under the carpet quick. Like you've said, if you've done a Thriller or were once Ziggy Stardust you can bugger what you want and nobody'll give a shit. :lol:

I did read something about Jagger and Bowie sharing some 13 year old skirt back in the day. Speaking of them two, didn't they also bum eachother on occasion? Apparently Bowie's first wife caught them in the act playing hide the sausage more than once.... Ugh, disturbing mental images.

Yeah i pointed that out earlier in the thread here...or the other Bowie thread, Dies' said it was probably a twist on the story of Mick and Keef bumming each other, now that one I'd never heard!

The Mick and Keef rumour is bullshit.......Mick and Bowie on the other hand is claimed by Angie Bowie that she caught them in bed......

• 2 months later...

A new David Bowie demo from 1970 has surfaced, "To Be Love"

http://mindbodynetwork.com/david-bowie

A rare treat for the MBN Community
In cooperation with Ronald de Strulle & with help from our friends at the Huffington Post.
In the fall of 1970, a young musician from London arrived in Los Angeles to work on demo tapes for what he and his manager hoped would be a recording contract with a major label. It was David Bowie’s first trip to the United States. A few weeks after David Bowie’s death on January 10, 2016, sound engineer Ron de Strulle granted an exclusive interview on his work with Bowie. As recording engineer at Roxbury Road Studios in the Hollywood Hills, de Strulle and his partners Tom Ayers and Aynsley Dunbar were in contact with an executive at United Artists who asked if they could host “a new talent from across the pond who was beginning to make a big stir.” Impressed by the quality of recordings produced at RR Studios, United Artists promised Bowie’s manager that his client would have privacy, first class treatment, and 24/7 access to the studio. De Strulle’s song To Be Love was the first that Bowie recorded during that historic two-week trip. As the rights holder, Ron de Strulle is releasing To Be Love in loving memory of his friend David. Read the full story on the Huffington Post
Today’s release of "To Be Love" marks an end and a beginning, a piece with both historic and musical value. Not only is it the first song David Bowie recorded in the U.S., it is also his final track.

http://mindbodynetwork.com/media/audio/david-bowie.mp3

• 3 weeks later...

bowie was a catastrophe for rock music according to joe carducci: http://www.furious.com/perfect/carducci.html

PSF: In Rock and the Pop Narcotic you come down hard on almost all British rock since the post-punk era. Do think things have things improved at all?

Joe Carducci: That stuff is harder, I know there's an legitimate underground of played music in England. I happen to have a tape of Ozric Tentacles and some Bevis Frond, so I know there are people like Billy Childish who in British terms are certainly Luddites. But there's been so much damage to the tradition because it's not like in America where a certain percentage of kids in any grade school just gravitate towards being in a band. I remember there were kids in bands from the fourth grade on in the schools I went to. In those days they were playing "Gloria" or "96 Tears" and now, unfortunately, they're playing Offspring. (Laughs) So there are a lot of problems here but the tradition itself survives. That's where I thought Bowie was such a catastrophe. That's why the word "fag" has meaning, because it wasn't that the people who were faggy were necessarily homosexual. The people in these bands who were faggy were all chipping away at the tradition. The tradition can take a lot of abuse and ridicule but at a certain point, in a culture where it's a transplant like in Britain, you can kill it. You can kill the impulse to be a drummer or to be good if the cult of the manager tells you that, "We know Sigue Sigue Sputnik are terrible, that's what's wonderful about them." It's ridiculing show business but in a way...

In England it was bit like the black American generation cutting off the tradition as abruptly and viciously as they can. In England that meant cutting off the tight little group of people who started in '59- from the Beatles and the Stones to Black Sabbath and Bad Company was all one generation. They all did nothing but bone up on American music, black music and learning how to play the best that they could. I got a tape of a Chicken Shack album from a friend. Even if you were a connoisseur of British blues rock you may not think that Chicken Shack was chickenshit. And yet it's a fucking great album, it's unbelievable how many good songs are on the record. And it isn't genius but they did a lot of work to find their own voice in someone else's tradition. But after David Bowie and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, there were several weird Europeanizations of rock music and what you end up with is a pop scene that doesn't have any rock music anymore. But I'm not current so for all I know the British are likely to generate a real obstinate underground again.

548953.jpg

Edited by supercool

On 4/12/2016 at 10:55 PM, dalsh327 said:

Bowie planned out posthumous releases. 

I know the whole Isolar II tour was filmed, really hoping there's a live album or two  (audio in particular) from that somewhere in the pipeline.

If I was hard pressed to take just one Bowie album, it would probably be STAGE.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Does anybody else prefer The Next Day over Blackstar?

Yeah, I do.

The Next Day came out on my birthday, and it was a really extra special album for me in one of those weird times of your life style of things...it was just pure joy.

Blackstar was like a punch in the guts.

I've bought every album pretty much as it came out since Black Tie/White Noise, and I missed Blackstar...I thought I'd just pick it up the next weekend and then the news broke David had died- the album was sold out everywhere for weeks (and I don't have iTunes/whatever).

Don't get me wrong, the album is fucking awesome, parts of the title track sound like they're off Diamond Dogs (in a "non rip off" fashion) etc etc but it's a really heavy album...still can't really comprehend that Bowie has died.