best album ever?

wasted

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Easy question, Nevermind the Bollocks by The Sex Pistols, musically the best, best in terms of impact, best in terms of social significance, a benchmark in excellence that will never be surpassed, the only album to REALLY live up to it subversive threat, from the politicians up there

To the kids down here, EVERYONE noticed. The rawest, most powerful, most focused 38 minute attack of musical playing field levelling that there ever was, its name shall live on in infamy as the most poisonous, most inciteful, most powerful and universally relevant album in the history of popular music, this was the end of rock n roll.

Easy question, Nevermind the Bollocks by The Sex Pistols, musically the best, best in terms of impact, best in terms of social significance, a benchmark in excellence that will never be surpassed, the only album to REALLY live up to it subversive threat, from the politicians up there

To the kids down here, EVERYONE noticed. The rawest, most powerful, most focused 38 minute attack of musical playing field levelling that there ever was, its name shall live on in infamy as the most poisonous, most inciteful, most powerful and universally relevant album in the history of popular music, this was the end of rock n roll.

I can't get into the Sex Pistols for some reason

I disagree with this (Coldplay over Beatles) as much as any person can possibly disagree with something.

That being said, I'm afraid this is is the natural evolution (or devolution?) of music. People get older. Younger people don't get exposed to older music anymore. Not as much as the people who had bands like the Beatles or the Stones in their youth.

So it's a useless argument to have and it's useless to make lists or disagree. It's a matter of opinion, sure. But as for what the majority thinks, that's a matter of exposure, knowledge, interest and especially age.

I hate this. I feel it's a horrible opinion to have. But it is the natural evolution of opinions. And quite frankly, I'd be crazy to even care as long as I can just play Sgt. Pepper's instead.

Funny thing is, Sgt. Pepper isn't even the greatest album the Beatles released. Perhaps it's their most artistically ambitious album with the biggest cultural impact, but song-wise, there are at least four Beatles records with better material.

Funny thing is, Sgt. Pepper isn't even the greatest album the Beatles released. Perhaps it's their most artistically ambitious album with the biggest cultural impact, but song-wise, there are at least four Beatles records with better material.

Agreed that's it's not their best. But for a points' sake I went with the obvious one. ;)

What is a "best album" anyway... to me, it's filler free, either the quality of the recordings or songs (if they recorded on a shoestring) are all great.

That's why when I see The Strokes, Keane, or Coldplay - is it because the whole album is great, or the 3 or 4 songs they like are that strong to put it on a GOAT (greatest of all time) list? Surprised to see Duran Duran - as good of an album that is, would've been far lower on a top 100 list, with me, prob. 300-something.

They did post the list on Apr 1st, but I don't think it was an April Fools' joke.

I think the argument for it being the greatest album ever made over time makes less sense. It should be on an "important album" list, it falls to 6 or 7 on a lot of Beatles lists. I don't think there's anything remarkable about She's Leaving Home, Within You Without You, or Good Morning Good Morning.

I think Fixing a Hole is the underrated song on the album.

I think the argument for it being the greatest album ever made over time makes less sense. It should be on an "important album" list, it falls to 6 or 7 on a lot of Beatles lists. I don't think there's anything remarkable about She's Leaving Home, Within You Without You, or Good Morning Good Morning.

I think Fixing a Hole is the underrated song on the album.

Shes Leaving Home and Within you Without You unremarkable? Lol k.

I think that Coldplay record and that Dido one are the kinds of records that are in every household in the UK. Everyone got them as mother's day presents and stuff like that. Like Take That a few years ago and Adele. Every house probably has a Beatles compilation at least but maybe not all the same record.

I disagree with this (Coldplay over Beatles) as much as any person can possibly disagree with something.

That being said, I'm afraid this is is the natural evolution (or devolution?) of music. People get older. Younger people don't get exposed to older music anymore. Not as much as the people who had bands like the Beatles or the Stones in their youth.

So it's a useless argument to have and it's useless to make lists or disagree. It's a matter of opinion, sure. But as for what the majority thinks, that's a matter of exposure, knowledge, interest and especially age.

I hate this. I feel it's a horrible opinion to have. But it is the natural evolution of opinions. And quite frankly, I'd be crazy to even care as long as I can just play Sgt. Pepper's instead.

I suppose it is a list from Radio 2 listeners. So what it means is there are more coldplay fans or keane fans who listen to radio 2.

the idea that these fans actually think Rush is better or has the right to be... its like they arent aware of music and just picked the one they liked. Which might be better, maybe thats reality. Dave lee Travis or Chris Evans plays Coldplay next to Darkside of the Moon so why not.

But Keane, come on that must be a typo.

I think that Coldplay record and that Dido one are the kinds of records that are in every household in the UK. Everyone got them as mother's day presents and stuff like that. Like Take That a few years ago and Adele. Every house probably has a Beatles compilation at least but maybe not all the same record.

sgt peppers does have an innocence. Its not all drugs and sex. Its very english. Same of Dark side its the kind of album engineers drive around england playing. Its all very middle of the road from Radio 2 listeners. Smashie and Nicie. Wild Horses and Brown Sugar to get pace makers going. If you make a mixtape from the top ten you have an easy listening album.

Duran Duran? :huh:

Seriously?

If we are gonna go punk, London Calling wins.

The best album ever for me: Born to Run (Bruce Sprinsgteen). Energizing, heartbreaking, and most of all, honest. From the dusky beauty of "Thunder Road" to the defiant roar of "Born to Run" all the way through to the haunting worldless vocals of "Jungleland," the album is a snapshot of a day in the life of any twenty-something trying to get somewhere better than where they are now.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't know any black people that like The Beatles. The 'best album ever' to me would be one that transcends racial and cultural lines.

Thriller.

Billy Preston, Smokey Robinson, Jimi Hendrix, Ronnie Spector?

Duran Duran? :huh:

Seriously?

100 million percent serious to the last word :)

IMO Nevermind the Bollocks is like Nevermind. Great album. Not a bad song. All great songs, 5 stars out of 5 but both don't have those sort of big moments in the album. There's no peaks and troughs. More like riding high the whole time without reaching a precipice. Maybe Bodies on the former, but that's about it IMO.