How many people became a Guns fan because Slash quit?

iftheworld

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you asked 1000 people outside of this forum, 1000 of them would probably say no. Or a majority of them would probably say they stopped being fans of GN'R when Slash left.

Who the hell would be become a fan of a band after a key member left? That makes no sense at all.

"Yeah, Slash left. Now I can listen to Paradise City."

cupcake topic.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

I for one was tired of his drunken inconsistent behavior on stage. I must be the only one. I'm not trolling. I seriously feel this way.

Yes, you are the only one.

Without Slash, GN'R wouldn't have had all the fame they did in the 80's/90's.

And without him, they haven't been that big since.

Drunken, inconsistent behavior? At least he had the common decency to not show up 2 or 3 hours late during the early 90's, unlike someone else. And didn't incite riots, or start fights. Or get in lawsuits. Or be bitterly angry for 20 years.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

I for one was tired of his drunken inconsistent behavior on stage. I must be the only one. I'm not trolling. I seriously feel this way.

Yes, you are the only one.

Without Slash, GN'R wouldn't have had all the fame they did in the 80's/90's.

And without him, they haven't been that big since.

I completely and utterly disagree. But I respect your opinion.

I for one was tired of his drunken inconsistent behavior on stage.

Because that was so excruciatingly tiring right? Revisionist history right there. If you were around in the 80s or 90s, you'd be too strung out on booze or drugs to notice such semantics. If they even existed to begin with.

So you were happy the guy who helped created all the iconic songs left the band?

You have enjoyed the last 20 years of GnR's musical output over the time period with Slash, where Axl-Slash helped create Appetite, Lies and the Illusions?

You were happy with the decade of silence?

Sometimes you guys try way too hard.

I'm tired of the inconsistent voice, behavior and boredom of a current member. I seriously feel this way.

People who became a fan because Slash left = very very few/ almost none.

People who stopped being a fan because he left = loads.

What a load of garbage. Finck and Ashba have hit more buff notes in one minute while playing for Guns N' Roses than Slash did during his whole tenure. Slash could drink three bottles of Jimmy Bean and play those two out of the park. What about Axl's inconsistant behaviour? 4 hours late. Misses whole verses to songs he should know like the back of his hand (NR at Rio 4. Jungle at Bridge School). Declining voice.

And about alcohol. Stinson is a notorious drunkard. Ashba and Pitman (Bridge School) are also frequently on the sauce.

It was a great day, the day Slash quit because I knew we were entering an even greater period than the one before. Those three years in particular, 1996-8, were three of the best years in GN'R history. Some of GN'R's greatest songs were released then. The band played some excellent concerts to packed out arenas. And to make matters even better, Matt is sacked and Duff quits!! I knew GN'R were heading places when Duff Rose 'the King of Beers' ditched ship.

Guest Len B'stard

I became a Guns fan cuz Slash was in it not cuz he left, when he left i and the rest of the world pretty much thought Guns was over. He looked the business and it's a guitar based rock n roll band so most of what you hear is guitar and it was sick. I was so into Slash as a kid, from 11 years old onwards i wanted the hair, the jacket, i even looked up the guitar and remembered the name of it, i was just into the whole fuckin' package there, back at that age i didn't have no MTV to hear news reports of what a bad dude Axl was or how cool he was or particularly anything, i never even heard their voices like as in talking til the late 90s so i was just into the music and although i loved Axls singing Slash was the man for me, the guitar playing on those songs was what attracted me, what made me move, what made the songs along with Axls voice. And as i say, since i didn't have no fuckin' documentarys to watch or tv shows on em or interviews i just went by what little i could get out of Kerrang, which weren't jackshit by 1994 anyway so it was pretty much just the few music videos i'd seen and the pictures on the insides of albums so...y'know, to me it was a no brainer.

Also, as a kid, singing don't really impress you much, you think it's something EVERYONE can do, you don't really realise it's a talent til ur older...but guitar playing, listening to Slash, watching his fingers go at mental speed (or what i thought was mental speed at that age) and the emotion, the way the guitar whined and wailed and screamed, it was just jolting, it was exciting, it gave you goosebumps.

And those pics in the inside covers of the albums, where he's kinda laying there with a bottle of Jack and to a kid thats like, yeaahh, he's the fuckin' badman here. Axl, as cool as i thought he was, just going by looks was a guy in a red blazer to me :lol: Loved his singing, especially on Lies i remember, You're Crazy and One in a Million i really fell in love with his voice but it was all about Slash to me really.

And like, the only other shred of media or like...thing i could find about em in the shops, couldn't afford T shirts at that age were the posters at ASDA, like you'd flip through these giant poster holders and there was this one GnR poster only (they were hardly considered hotshit in 94) and that poster was of Slash.

Only piece of...anything where i really got any handle on what they were like as people was the book In Their Own Words by Mark Putterford and y'know, reading books at 11 yrs old, the shit just went through my head like it was a sieve.

So yeah, cuz Slash quit? Fuck, for a decade after Slash quitting i didn't even know there was a GnR anymore, i thought when members quit there was no more band :shrugs: Went off and got into other stuff. When you're a kid and you're into a band you want music, you want matierial and i got into GnR in 94 and their next release wasn't until i was a fucking adult so like...as a kid it was hard to be a really really big GnR fan because there was no fucking GnR for all intents and purposes, how do you support a band that don't...like...do anything?

Slash, all fuckin' day though, if it wasn't for Slash, now i think about it, the evolution of my musical taste would've been very very different, aside from The Beatles and The Monkees GnR was the first band i really really REALLY like and from that followed Nirvana and punk and hip hop and then everything else but....had it not been for Slash i'm not sure i would've liked GnR so God knows what music i would've gotten into or whether i would've been into music at all. I really got my first inklings of the power of it from Slash's guitar playing, particularly the emotion aspect, the solos in Nov Rain or SCOM, they are considered corny now, atypical but to me it was the first real instance i ever came across where it was tangible that emotion was being communicated solely through music. I mean, i loved The Beatles but they were short songs filled with singing and...you don't really think about that intellectual type shit when you're a kid but when it's like...totally an instrumental passage of music you're listening to, a solo, and you get all this feeling and emotion from it and you're like, wow makes me wanna...cry or run or jump up and down...and it's solely the instrument evoking that, thats a helluva thing and Slash was the first place i got that from and thats just so invaluable to me, i can't tell ya.

Just a fantastic guitar player, will always have a special place in my heart, bless him, i think he's the mutts nuts :)

I became a Guns fan cuz Slash was in it not cuz he left, when he left i and the rest of the world pretty much thought Guns was over. He looked the business and it's a guitar based rock n roll band so most of what you hear is guitar and it was sick. I was so into Slash as a kid, from 11 years old onwards i wanted the hair, the jacket, i even looked up the guitar and remembered the name of it, i was just into the whole fuckin' package there, back at that age i didn't have no MTV to hear news reports of what a bad dude Axl was or how cool he was or particularly anything, i never even heard their voices like as in talking til the late 90s so i was just into the music and although i loved Axls singing Slash was the man for me, the guitar playing on those songs was what attracted me, what made me move, what made the songs along with Axls voice. And as i say, since i didn't have no fuckin' documentarys to watch or tv shows on em or interviews i just went by what little i could get out of Kerrang, which weren't jackshit by 1994 anyway so it was pretty much just the few music videos i'd seen and the pictures on the insides of albums so...y'know, to me it was a no brainer.

Also, as a kid, singing don't really impress you much, you think it's something EVERYONE can do, you don't really realise it's a talent til ur older...but guitar playing, listening to Slash, watching his fingers go at mental speed (or what i thought was mental speed at that age) and the emotion, the way the guitar whined and wailed and screamed, it was just jolting, it was exciting, it gave you goosebumps.

And those pics in the inside covers of the albums, where he's kinda laying there with a bottle of Jack and to a kid thats like, yeaahh, he's the fuckin' badman here. Axl, as cool as i thought he was, just going by looks was a guy in a red blazer to me :lol: Loved his singing, especially on Lies i remember, You're Crazy and One in a Million i really fell in love with his voice but it was all about Slash to me really.

And like, the only other shred of media or like...thing i could find about em in the shops, couldn't afford T shirts at that age were the posters at ASDA, like you'd flip through these giant poster holders and there was this one GnR poster only (they were hardly considered hotshit in 94) and that poster was of Slash.

Only piece of...anything where i really got any handle on what they were like as people was the book In Their Own Words by Mark Putterford and y'know, reading books at 11 yrs old, the shit just went through my head like it was a sieve.

So yeah, cuz Slash quit? Fuck, for a decade after Slash quitting i didn't even know there was a GnR anymore, i thought when members quit there was no more band :shrugs: Went off and got into other stuff. When you're a kid and you're into a band you want music, you want matierial and i got into GnR in 94 and their next release wasn't until i was a fucking adult so like...as a kid it was hard to be a really really big GnR fan because there was no fucking GnR for all intents and purposes, how do you support a band that don't...like...do anything?

Slash, all fuckin' day though, if it wasn't for Slash, now i think about it, the evolution of my musical taste would've been very very different, aside from The Beatles and The Monkees GnR was the first band i really really REALLY like and from that followed Nirvana and punk and hip hop and then everything else but....had it not been for Slash i'm not sure i would've liked GnR so God knows what music i would've gotten into or whether i would've been into music at all. I really got my first inklings of the power of it from Slash's guitar playing, particularly the emotion aspect, the solos in Nov Rain or SCOM, they are considered corny now, atypical but to me it was the first real instance i ever came across where it was tangible that emotion was being communicated solely through music. I mean, i loved The Beatles but they were short songs filled with singing and...you don't really think about that intellectual type shit when you're a kid but when it's like...totally an instrumental passage of music you're listening to, a solo, and you get all this feeling and emotion from it and you're like, wow makes me wanna...cry or run or jump up and down...and it's solely the instrument evoking that, thats a helluva thing and Slash was the first place i got that from and thats just so invaluable to me, i can't tell ya.

Just a fantastic guitar player, will always have a special place in my heart, bless him, i think he's the mutts nuts :)

methamphetamine is a hell of a drug :rofl-lol:

I can relate to that. I grew up a Slash fan. I picked up a guitar because of Slash (and Hendrix) after watching the Paris PPV. Axl, I used to think was just a dickhead frontman. It is similar to the Stones. For a certain type of person, Keef is cool in a way Mick will never be. Mick is too much of a tart and cares about image and box office recepts and being trendy. Keith cares about getting wasted and playing rock. Same with Perry/Tyler and the same with Axl and Slash. Axl did crappy videos and wore white underpants on stage. I asked myself, 'how can I possibly be a fan of a man who wears white underpants on stage?'. Meanwhile, Slash stood there, legs wide apart, low slung Les Paul - he epitomised coolness.

I was about 11 at the time understand.

Later on, I developed more into an Izzy fan - Izzy is still my favourite today. This is when I looked at the songwriting aspect (in some ways, it is Izzy who has the 'Keith role'). I also remember going through an 'Illusion 2 phrase' and newly appreciating Axl's input, so, Axl ceased to be just the dickhead singer. Now I like them all about equal, Axl, Slash, Duff - even Steven - but I am still an Izzy fan.