Who Is Howard Teman ?

raska27

• 6 months later...

I found the video on Youtube with Howard Teman's performance on "Used To Love Her" (actually a very cool rendition!!!). Marc did you record this?
I found out, that the place could have been Cathouse (although it's clearly at the Whisky) on Steven's first show after his hand/arm got better, january 21, 1988 (video here). Vince Neil also sang "Whole Lotta Rosie" with Axl (listen here). No show at the Whisky was apparantly played while Steven was out - the only show at the Whisky I know of is April 5th, 1988 & August 23, 1988 that year (and Axl names a possible july 15th at a show?)

Edited by Mickey

That is some really cool footage. Nice find !

IMO the pinnacle of the band really was from late '87 to mid '88 - everything just came together at this time perfectly - and this again shows it.

I mean I love that whole era with the original band, but of the 5 years they were together, that was the time they were really at their best.

Wow!! I didn't even know about this gig.

I'm not sure about the date, but of the info I got, Vince Neil performed at KNAC's second welfare show in Santa Monica- a kind of "All-Star-jams", january 5th, 1988 (with Fred Coury behind the drums i guess) Neil usually closed the KNAC party shows with coversongs, so that is why I place the Whisky show at this month - I don't remember where else I read about this Teman - It might actually be from a thread on mygnrforum somewhere (i think a thread about Howard Teman, in which I put on the setlist... :-)

This is the poster for the january 21st show:

0679ca7fc8e9dd3d82302837a0361dcba5d1a669

But If the info about this show is correct, then the following show takes place at the Coconut Teaszer january 15th - a Drunk Fux show, and then the show the 21st.

Oh, the thread is here about the surprise gig... :-)

I'm not sure about the setlist, as it looks like in the video, that they started the show with "UTLH" - but this is what I got on the show:

Setlist: It's So Easy, Move To The City, Mr. Brownstone, Out Ta Get Me, Used To Love Her [w/Howard Teman], Patience, Sweet Child O' Mine, My Michelle, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Blues Jam, Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain, Paradise City, Whole Lotta Rosie [w/ Vince Neil]

I just found the bootleg from january 21. from the guns n roses tracker somewhere else, and it sounds to me something is off somewhere - the UTLH does not sound like the video so somebody might be wrong :-)

Oh, another one posted this date for the show - january 10th, 1988. Here. (I think i'm confused now) :-D

Oh, Howard Teman on facebook here.

One more version from Teman's facebook here. (the plot thickens!)

This was a surprise appearance after their first year of touring the Appetite album, which had three huge hit singles when they played this 1/10/88 gig. They showed up to help fight a lame lawsuit against Ruben at Rock City News, the Hollywood rock mag that helped a lot of people then. (I was a contributing writer with the byline of Phantom.) Adler hand was broken and he couldn't play (or so I heard.) Also on the bill was Faster Pussycat, Cathouse, The Zeros, D'Molls and Funhouse. Vince Neil came out to sing FP's encore. He was a pretty successful guy at this point and it showed when he stood beside this newer batch of L.A. rockers. This was a little bigger than the average show, but it's still a good representation of how this part of the scene looked, sounded and felt on any given night. (Tom Cruise wasn't a rocker and he was never seen at any rock shows.) MC Riki Rachtman wasn't a TV VJ yet, he was owner of The Cathouse, where FP was the ongoing house band (and singer Taime Downe was Riki's co-partner). The Cathouse is where throngs of stripper gals went to dance to hard rock songs on Thursday nights and rocker guys showed to score. These dudes would never be seen with their long hair in a mainstream pop dance club playing Michael Jackson--but at the Cathouse, some would even dance!

Edited by Mickey

about UTLH/Whiskey'88-video:
if you watch exactly there are some small crossfades, this means it could be edited with UTLH not being the 1st song of the set.
watch Duff: he is wearing a leather jacket in the beginning/Axl talking, after the crossfades he only has his tshirt on.

Edited by Lim666

about UTLH/Whiskey'88-video:

if you watch exactly there are some small crossfades, this means it could be edited with UTLH not being the 1st song of the set.

watch Duff: he is wearing a leather jacket in the beginning/Axl talking, after the crossfades he only has his tshirt on.

Yeah, I find new things every time I watch the video - I would almost kill for the whole show :-D

But yes, great to be able to add this show to the GnR chronolgy :-D