Smartphones

vulgar

Which is the best OS?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How long do you expect to keep a new smartphone (assuming that it is still working pretty well)? I've had my iPhone5 for just about 2 years now and it is in perfect condition so I don't think I'll upgrade any time soon. The only issue I had was the battery but that was recently recalled (after it's been dying too quickly for about a year) and it's like new again.

I just can't imagine having a normal sized phone screen after having this monstrosity for over a year. Iphones and regular s3-5s look like toys to me.

I'm the opposite, the S5 is bigger than the S3, and I think the S3 is plenty big enough.....

How long do you expect to keep a new smartphone (assuming that it is still working pretty well)? I've had my iPhone5 for just about 2 years now and it is in perfect condition so I don't think I'll upgrade any time soon. The only issue I had was the battery but that was recently recalled (after it's been dying too quickly for about a year) and it's like new again.

I usually do 2 years per phone. That being said, they are almost all virtually ruined or close to being ruined or noticeably less functional than when I bought them.... but I take full blame for that as I drop these things more often than an EDM artist drops the bass.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

I recently got rid of my Windows phone. (Didn't have much of a choice as it didn't survive me hurling it across the room after it failed at least a dozen times at sending a scanned photo via email).

So I went back to Android, this time with a Motorola Moto G.....by far the best phone I have ever owned....I think it has to do with the fact that Motorola=Google and Google (pretty much) = android.

I recently got rid of my Windows phone. (Didn't have much of a choice as it didn't survive me hurling it across the room after it failed at least a dozen times at sending a scanned photo via email).

So I went back to Android, this time with a Motorola Moto G.....by far the best phone I have ever owned....I think it has to do with the fact that Motorola=Google and Google (pretty much) = android.

I have that one too :lol: Very happy with it, but I've only had it since July. Before, I had a HTC Desire S and it sucked. It always crashed while phoning and then took five minutes to reboot.

I loved my Blackberry handsets for years - upgraded earlier this year to an iPhone 5C and love it.

I'm not one of those guys who gushes about Apple either.

'cept just then eh? :lol:

Hardly gushing old boy :lol:

I'm talking about one of those diehards who raves about it and accepts no substitute - you know, with all the fancy Mac gear etc.

Not me ;)

The 6 is probably the most incremental modification to an iPhone in awhile. In terms of upgrading, it depends on how old your current phone is. I'm using a 4S, so there's enough in the 6 to make the jump. Not sure if I will as I want to renegotiate my contract as I'm paying out of the ass right now. But anyone using a 4S or older these new phones by Apple look very enticing.

All they need now is an app or some sort of process where your photo ID is also contained within the phone. I really like the Apple pay concept, but I'm still going to have to bring my wallet most places since I need my driver's license.

As someone who plays the odd game of golf, being able to video tape my swing at 240 frames per second and see why I'm shit is pretty cool.

But I think we're probably done with revolutionary changes in a smartphone until they come up with some sort of device that you wear and don't notice. Perhaps a contact lens that becomes your interface? People will point to Google Glass as the next big thing but I've never worn glasses and wouldn't want to start in order to call someone.

• Like 1

The 6 is probably the most incremental modification to an iPhone in awhile. In terms of upgrading, it depends on how old your current phone is. I'm using a 4S, so there's enough in the 6 to make the jump. Not sure if I will as I want to renegotiate my contract as I'm paying out of the ass right now. But anyone using a 4S or older these new phones by Apple look very enticing.

All they need now is an app or some sort of process where your photo ID is also contained within the phone. I really like the Apple pay concept, but I'm still going to have to bring my wallet most places since I need my driver's license.

As someone who plays the odd game of golf, being able to video tape my swing at 240 frames per second and see why I'm shit is pretty cool.

But I think we're probably done with revolutionary changes in a smartphone until they come up with some sort of device that you wear and don't notice. Perhaps a contact lens that becomes your interface? People will point to Google Glass as the next big thing but I've never worn glasses and wouldn't want to start in order to call someone.

Yeah the Apple pay thing is cool. Slow mo cam is also nice. I just feel like these things are not really creative if you know what I mean. More power, better cam with more options, you can pay without your wallet.

I disagree about being done with revolutionary ideas in smartphones until the time you'll be able to wear the tech though: the smartphone already is doing so much, that it's hard to imagine what else they can make it do. But most people don't really want to wear shit on their body so it needs to feel like you don't wear something annoying that limits your comfort. That will take a while maybe.

Apple probably needs a good 4 or 5 years to come up with something truly innovative when it comes to their smartphones. Other companies don't really offer anything revolutionary either. I'm not one of those cunts that can't appreciate refinements. It's awesome, it's an important part of the process, and the Iphone 6 is very nice. I just expected more.

Edited by Rovim

I like the look of a lot of the features but I'm just not sold on the size of the thing :shrugs: I don't get why Apple have decided to go bigger with the newest iPhones, the larger one is pretty much a mini tablet. I like a phone that can fit comfortably in my pocket, hence I stuck with my 4S when all the 5 series came out.

I like the look of a lot of the features but I'm just not sold on the size of the thing :shrugs: I don't get why Apple have decided to go bigger with the newest iPhones, the larger one is pretty much a mini tablet. I like a phone that can fit comfortably in my pocket, hence I stuck with my 4S when all the 5 series came out.

Some people just got really big hands, so it's like a fuckin' toy, hard to use the touch screen when your index finger is large. (no peen jokes)

Others are kinda blind, so they can't really see with that average sized screen. (I know)

And finally, some other people just like bigger and they're willing to tolerate the size of it. No matter how painful it is when you insert it into your...pocket.

Edited by Rovim

They're reacting to the market. Apple was losing market share to Samsung and others for the primary reason that they were offering larger smartphones. I can't find the article, but the number two wish by iPhone owners was that they wished they had a bigger screen (number 1 was longer battery life). A big reason why people switch from Apple to Samsung is the bigger screens on the Samsung. So I don't begrudge Apple for making bigger phones. I do, however, think it's funny that they're now following a strategy that they criticized for years. Steve Jobs was vehemently opposed to bigger screens, since he wanted a device to be functionable with one hand. Oh well, times have changed.

Latest iPhones are same kinda thing as ever, although all the newest phones have been pretty stale this year, nothing really good like the HTC One or LG G2 was last year.

As for losing market share it's also because Samsung offer different phones for different people, all kinds of sizes and prices so more people will go to it especially since at the moment it's Apple's phones that seem to be lacking in anything interesting. When I worked at Vodafone a few months ago we saw more and more people moving from iPhones because they were bored.

It so happens my cell phone died two days ago and so I'm looking to buy a new one. My previous LG was windows based and despite a couple of minor things missing, I was actually pretty satisfied with its slick look and easy navigating menu etc. I'm not the biggest cell phone nut, I use it mainly for surfing and maintaining my emails. I'm not into apps or games. I am looking for a cell phone with a decent camera. With all this in mind after comparing existing models and being mainly disappointed with the camera aspect, I am looking forward to the new Nokia Lumia line, especially the 735 and 830 models; I'll await some reviews and tests on them but I like the specs and the price. I never spend over 300 $ for a smartphone.

It kills me to know that Apple fans think they're doing the right thing.

I'm doing the right thing to have an iPhone, feel free to tell me why I'm doing the wrong thing.

Last time I checked I had my complete iTunes library on my phone, it's in sync with my MacBook so my calendars, photos and spreadsheets are all linked perfectly.

I listen to music, browse the web, make calls, text and email on it in that order.

I don't need apps or open source operating system. That's for geeks and developers. I swear half the people that complain about iOS lockdown only say it to defend their horrifically shit phone running Android from 4 years ago.

It kills me to know that Apple fans think they're doing the right thing.

I'm doing the right thing to have an iPhone, feel free to tell me why I'm doing the wrong thing.

Last time I checked I had my complete iTunes library on my phone, it's in sync with my MacBook so my calendars, photos and spreadsheets are all linked perfectly.

I listen to music, browse the web, make calls, text and email on it in that order.

I don't need apps or open source operating system. That's for geeks and developers. I swear half the people that complain about iOS lockdown only say it to defend their horrifically shit phone running Android from 4 years ago.

iTunes was dreadful last time I checked. Does having low quality music files not bother you? It would me. Edited by ColdHeartBreaker