So, whats the deal?

sword&tulipz

But don’t take that to mean Rose has any plans for a reunion. In fact, as he told Roberts, “There is no plan yet. There really is no plan. We’re still busy with this lineup. We’re gonna be busy — we’re gonna be busy all next year. We’ll be putting out new stuff as soon as we can figure out what our deal is with labels, blah blah blah.”

So releasing new music is a matter of label issues? What are the issues with the label?

The quote is from:

http://loudwire.com/axl-rose-guns-n-roses-hall-of-fame-induction-reunion-offers/

More cheesy puffs!

there could be a wrangle with the label over what they should pay for new material.

From what Fortus is saying the record isnt finished. There finished songs but no has said the record is done.

Its gotta be or most likely the advance money to record n book studio time right? There's no way in hell he gets millions again so he had to tour to get the money. Its probably taken way longer than he thought it would due to production costs, lower attendance, cancelled movies, things like that. They've probably proven the market is improving for the brand but the label has probably walked out of any offers from rose's camp. Axl may have asked the members to come up with cash so u have dj selling his soul, hot sauces, etc.

All of this is speculation and the last part is probably the least likely....I haven't touched the reunion idea which is probably always a card the label wants to use even if its a song or two with slash. The label keeps asking, axl says fuck off and hits the road for months. They come back, check the numbers and its back to the drawing board. This year seems to be more festivals which may be more lucrative

Guest charlie555

The issue with the label is that last I heard they wanted the remaining material released 'as is' because from their point of view they have already paid for it.

Apparently a certain singer wants money up front to tinker with the songs before they are released. The label's position is that they don't want to cover this and they would only cover if sales targets are met.

Source: a mate of mine who works at Universal and asked around

Btw from what I heard there is no possibility of 'advance money'

Edited by charlie555

The issue with the label is that last I heard they wanted the remaining material released 'as is' because from their point of view they have already paid for it.

Apparently a certain singer wants money up front to tinker with the songs before they are released. The label's position is that they don't want to cover this and they would only cover if sales targets are met.

A Friend at UMG....mmmkay.

More cheesy puffs!

there could be a wrangle with the label over what they should pay for new material.

From what Fortus is saying the record isnt finished. There finished songs but no has said the record is done.

Cheesy Poofs and salty chocolate balls were actually part of the negotiations :

Seriously, labels being greedy assholes and dicking artists around is unfortunately part of music history.

Jesus... this is so fucking frustrating. Give us a date. When is the new record coming out? Well... it's a good thing Megadeth is releasing an album this year, just like Alice in Chains. And Maiden is releasing one next year. Why is it so fucking difficult to release an album when the rest of the bands out there (most, I mean) release one every 3 years? RANT OFF

I don't need to know someone at Universal to be able to say with 100% certainty that this is the case.

At this point another GNR album is going to sell what it is going to sell no matter if they just release what is already done or Axl tinkers for 5 years.

Why would they give him another dime given his track record.

It's almost like his brain shut off after he got the GNR name in hand. Critical thinking skills went completely out the window.

His biggest strategic error was taking a big steaming shit on the label by refusing to promote CD when it came out. Rather than do the big media rounds he sat in his house feeling sorry for himself.

Unfortunately for him if they don't play ball his career as a recording artist moving forward will continue to be stymied.

He has created his own prison in that they won't give him any money (rightfully so), and he can't release music unless he just pays for it all himself. Without his track record they may have been more receptive to working with him, but he has shown through his actions over the years to be unreliable and not worth the time and effort to deal with.

Someone above hit the nail on the head in that he genuinely still thinks it is 1991 in his world, and can't fathom why he is not getting the same treatment he got when Slash was in the band and they were on top of the world.

I think it's bullshit that he needs money to record. I'm sure almost all these guys have a recording studio of their own, and Axl for sure has a studio in his house. He doesn't have to pay for studio time. And all these guys propably know how to use studio equipment, so don't think they need an engineer either. And surely they don't really need a producer. You can make a descent record with just a laptop, microphone and some talent these days! Fuck!

I think it's bullshit that he needs money to record. I'm sure almost all these guys have a recording studio of their own, and Axl for sure has a studio in his house. He doesn't have to pay for studio time. And all these guys propably know how to use studio equipment, so don't think they need an engineer either. And surely they don't really need a producer. You can make a descent record with just a laptop, microphone and some talent these days! Fuck!

If you saw the production involved on Chinese Democracy and the money spent (and largely wasted) on making it, ranging from excessive recording and mixing, bringing in session players, composers, ... I doubt he'll settle for a laptop.

I like how Axl said 'there is no plan yet' ...not half as caustic as his later remarks before the HOF induction. I think he was more open to the idea about a reunion of sorts than people realise. The thing is...who poured poison in his ear between that interview and his later letter to the HOF.

Gee I wonder...

If you saw the production involved on Chinese Democracy and the money spent (and largely wasted) on making it, ranging from excessive recording and mixing, bringing in session players, composers, ... I doubt he'll settle for a laptop.

Maybe if its a retina MacBook Pro?? Lol

That actually sounds very plausable.

Especially with the label not knowing how long it will take Axl to deliver a new album, how much money they would have to sink into it, and then topped off by not knowing if Axl will promote it at all.

Wouldn't it be awesome if for a couple of years Axl and Beta decided to STOP caring about all his "haters" and enemies and spent two years just focusing on his fans? Stop suing people, stop fighting with people, stop battling 'the man" and just concentrated on releasing music and information for his fans?