What about a Chinese Democracy Demos CD

Screamin' Demon

I was just listening to Fight K5 The War Of Words Demos. There's a lot of CD Demos out there I'm sure, of all the songs. Just about every one of them seems to sound far better than the final versions. It'd be really cool to see Axl release something like that on CD like Rob Halford did. It would whet the fans' appetite for the album once again by being given a more authentic and natural recording as opposed to these overproduced final cuts. It goes to show that just because one is a perfectionist doesn't mean that they can't release a demos version of an already existing album, at least for the fans' sake if for nothing else. It would be a particularly smart strategy for Axl who seems to keep this Chinese Democracy saga endless. Chinese Democracy certainly isn't a bad album, but I'm sure that many other fans besides myself would enjoy a more raw experience of this release.

• 2 years later...

Listening to the 1999/2000 versions of the songs, I have to wonder if this wouldn't be a cool little bonus. Clean them up a tiny bit and just pop it on Itunes. I think we have '99/00 IRS, Catcher, TWAT? Put those up with the rest of CD/whatever was recorded of the album by '99 plus a revamped OMG and Silkworms as bonus 'new' tracks.

As far as Chinese demos goes, I only really want the Catcher demo in good quality.

I prefer the studio versions of the songs.

I do prefer how in the demo version of Twat, the last note of Robin's solo is being sustained for a much longer time and it was great. Shame Axl took that away.

Edited by Rovim

You don't move a band forward by releasing demos that anyone who cares already has, of an album that's 7 years old and most people didn't like.

You don't move a band forward if you're Axl Rose. The only era he consistently wrote and released music was with other people that had the very natural instinct of moving forward with confidence instead of delaying the release of your work out of crippling insecurities and a false sense of overblown self importance.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

You don't move a band forward by releasing demos that anyone who cares already has, of an album that's 7 years old and most people didn't like.

You don't move a band forward if you're Axl Rose. The only era he consistently wrote and released music was with other people that had the very natural instinct of moving forward with confidence instead of delaying the release of your work out of crippling insecurities and a false sense of overblown self importance.

Your last point I think is what will go down as defining latter-day Axl Rose. That he has treated his songs like they're the codes for the fucking nukes and runs his band like it's the KGB, in an era when rock music is largely irrelevant and only a relatively small number of curious fans would care to hear his new (and by new, I mean 9+ year old) material.

At this point, I'd like to see a Chinese Democracy box-set. It would look like this:

-Chinese Democracy

-Chinese Democracy demos disc 1

-Chinese Democracy demos disc 2

-Chinese Democracy demos disc 3

-Unreleased songs from 1998-2008 disc 1

-Unreleased songs from 1998-2008 disc 2

-Unreleased songs from 1998-2008 disc 3

-MSG 2002 show blu-ray/DVD

-Booklet with essays and photos

When it comes to re-issues, no one does it better than Billy Corgan. Look at the Adore box-set.

Edited by RichardNixon

I just want 'Better' with Brain on drums for the entire song in studio quality. Basically the 1st leak's master/mix of Better

Isn't Brain on drums for the entire song?

No, Brain and Frank both play on the studio version.

Edited by Rovim

I just want 'Better' with Brain on drums for the entire song in studio quality. Basically the 1st leak's master/mix of Better

Isn't Brain on drums for the entire song?

Don't let the difference in sound quality be a factor. I like Brain's because (after the solo) he hits the cymbals at the same pace, keeping the song feeling energetic. Frank goes from hitting it 8 times per measure to 4 which kinda makes the song slow down in a way, the pace isn't the same. I think Brain's pattern during the chorus sounds rawer. Everything is a factor, the way they come out of the chorus to the verse, to the breakdown etc.

Frank 1st Chorus:

Brain 1st Chorus:

Frank Solo/Breakdown:

Brain Solo/Breakdown:

• Like 3