Demo list with details

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the list. I have pretty much all of those, but didn't have "time" to organize all this stuff.

No problem. I'll keep moving forward with it once I get more information on the later Use Your Illusion demos. That's gonna be quite a project.

The reason you might see a tak 3 but not a take 2 is maybe it didn't come out good so it didn't make it to the demo that the band was given

So that list is just the songs that the band was given but not all the ones they recorded at Sound City? Did you get a chance to hear the Heartbreak Hotel and Nice Boys demos that have come into the light recently?

here is that "Nice Boys" (2:42) demo (surfaced 2008 on iTunes and "American Hair Metal" CD):

----------------------------------------------------------------------

cant find "Heartbreak Hotel" (4:12) demo (surfaced 2008 on iTunes and "Hollywood Rocks" 2LP) right now though.

Marc, could it also be that those 2 demos are takes from Sound City Demos?
both are live "on the fly" with mistakes and definately are from 1986.

Thanks for the list. I have pretty much all of those, but didn't have "time" to organize all this stuff.

No problem. I'll keep moving forward with it once I get more information on the later Use Your Illusion demos. That's gonna be quite a project.

Do you have any informations about songs like Sentimental Movie, Too Much Too Soon, Bad Obsession with Izzy on vocals, Bring It Back Home, Just another Sunday...?

There are also demos of Yesterdays, The Garden, Back Off Bitch (instrumental), etc....

If anyone knows anything about these songs... please share the knowledge with us. :)

Do you happen to know when and where the songs from the Second take demos bootleg (released in 1990) where recorded?

http://www.spookeend.nl/gnr/archives/second-take-demos

Some people claim them to be from the Illusion sessions but in my oppinion all these songs where recorded somewhere during the Appetite sessions.

Edited by droezle

Do you have any informations about songs like Sentimental Movie, Too Much Too Soon, Bad Obsession with Izzy on vocals, Bring It Back Home, Just another Sunday...?

There are also demos of Yesterdays, The Garden, Back Off Bitch (instrumental), etc....

If anyone knows anything about these songs... please share the knowledge with us. :)

I have those demos as well with the drum machine. I listen to them all the time. Although I don't have a definite date, it really sounds like they were recorded before Appetite for Destruction for several reasons. They had a recording track at the Hell House, West Arkeen is credited with co-writing a bunch of those songs, the way Axl's vocals sounds is more like that time period, he says they wrote Bad Obsession a year before Mr. Brownstone so maybe they decided to record it while they were with West. Marc said that it was probably 1986 at the Hell House which makes a lot of sense if you look at all the facts. It would be great if we could get a confirmed date on it though.

You mentioned a Back Off Bitch instrumental among the other songs. What does that sound like? Do you know where it's available?

I have those demos as well with the drum machine. I listen to them all the time. Although I don't have a definite date, it really sounds like they were recorded before Appetite for Destruction for several reasons. They had a recording track at the Hell House, West Arkeen is credited with co-writing a bunch of those songs, the way Axl's vocals sounds is more like that time period, he says they wrote Bad Obsession a year before Mr. Brownstone so maybe they decided to record it while they were with West. Marc said that it was probably 1986 at the Hell House which makes a lot of sense if you look at all the facts. It would be great if we could get a confirmed date on it though.

You mentioned a Back Off Bitch instrumental among the other songs. What does that sound like? Do you know where it's available?

At the beginning of Crash diet and some other songs you hear music playing in the background which imo made it a bit obvious that these songs were not recorded in a studio.

I just bought the tracks heartbreak (Hollywood Rocks! (Vinyl Edition) & nice boys (American '80s Hair Metal) off of iTunes... does anyone know where these come from?

Also, each of these albums also had Hollywood rose tracks (anything goes & reckless life). Are they just duplicates from the offical release (roots of GNR)?

but what was the exact source for "Shadow of your love" (B-Side "Live and let die"-single) then? was it from the 1st generation GN'R "Sound City" vault demo tape but not from the master?

Edited by Lim666

At the beginning of Crash diet and some other songs you hear music playing in the background which imo made it a bit obvious that these songs were not recorded in a studio.

I always wondered why they overlapped. At the beginning of Bring It Back Home you can hear part of Just Another Sunday. Hopefully one day we can get the order they were recorded in.

but what was the exact source for "Shadow of your love" (B-Side "Live and let die"-single) then? was it from the 1st generation GN'R "Sound City" vault demo tape but not from the master?

Pasha

Is the take of Shadow of Your Love on the Live and Let Die single the one where they add audience noise? I have the cassette and vinyl and it just has Live and Let Die studio and live on both, no Shadow. And the one where Axl says "Wake up, it's time to play!" is from Sound City, right?

I didn't bother reading this whole thread, but the Patience outtake/demo/whatever ya wanna call it, is just a rough mix, not mastered version from the Alan Niven CD's that were released a few years back.

Thanks for that information. I really needed it. It's been driving me crazy listening to that track over and over trying to hear any slight difference but to no avail. So is this the only take of Patience? I remember hearing that they didn't spend a lot of time recording GN'R Lies and only did a take or so of each song. Someone said it was "magic" the way they recorded together. Could Patience be the one where they only did one take?

Pasha

Marc, the "Pasha" master sources were for LLAS, sure. but the "Shadow of your love" (B-side "live and let die"-single) is the one starting wth Axl saying "Wake up, its time to play!".....thats the one from Sound City, right? so the question remains: they didnt use the master sources from Sound City demos for this "Shadow of your love"-release, just the "GN'R vault 1st generation tape"?

The Live and Let Die CD single has Shadow minus the faux live crowd.

Both the It's So Easy (uk) 12" and the Live in the Jungle (Japanese EP) have another version of Shadow with the faux live crowd.

I think they are seperate demos (I will check tommorow) but they are both from Pasha/Live Like a Suicide sessions.

thanks, Marc!!

@DieselDaisy:

the "Shadow of your love" (from official "live and let die" B-side with Axl screaming "Wake up its time to play" in the beginning) is the studio demo from Sound City 6/1986.

all other official "Shadow of your love" versions are from Pasha session 8(?)-9/1986 studio + fake crowd noise (like all other songs on "Live like a suicide")

or real studio (1984) from "Hollywood Rose - The Roots of GN'R"-CD (released in 2004).

also there is an unofficial version from the Pasha session not having the fake crowd noise.

what we are really missing is the "Shadow of your love"-studio demo from Mike Clink....Slash and Axl were provenly blown away by that version (check in "Reckless Road"-book), however they've never released it and it never got out of the vaults, too bad...

i think its a great pure short nice fast hard rock song.....something i'm more and more missing the older the Guns became.

Edited by Lim666

thanks, Marc!!

@DieselDaisy:

the "Shadow of your love" (from official "live and let die" B-side with Axl screaming "Wake up its time to play" in the beginning) is the studio demo from Sound City 6/1986.

all other official "Shadow of your love" versions are from Pasha session 8(?)-9/1986 studio + fake crowd noise (like all other songs on "Live like a suicide")

or real studio (1984) from "Hollywood Rose - The Roots of GN'R"-CD (released in 2004).

also there is an unofficial version from the Pasha session not having the fake crowd noise.

what we are really missing is the "Shadow of your love"-studio demo from Mike Clink....Slash and Axl were provenly blown away by that version (check in "Reckless Road"-book), however they've never released it and it never got out of the vaults, too bad...

i think its a great pure short nice fast hard rock song.....something i'm more and more missing the older the Guns became.

The Mike Clink one is still on my Bucket list. I know Mike still has it and one days I will get to hear it. I see Mike at least 2 times a year.