The Voice...

Snowmass

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is his voice shot because of the '87-93 era, because he's old or because he doesn't take care of himself? Watching (youtube) this Rocklahoma shit it's embarrassing.

I would say so. He really abused of his voice when real Guns was around. He spent YEARS doing nothing, that also contributed to his voice being horrible nowadays.

That said, he sounded great in 2010, I don't know what the happened in few months, all the horrible, awful, weak vocals started in Rio 2011.

Axl's voice mysteries... Fact is that his voice was shot back in '01 & '02....then it was very good once again in '06 & '07 and finally all mighty in '10 before it cracked at the beginning of '11 and never really recovered ever since... Go figure! :question:

When you don't take care of yourself and rehearse consistently, the voice goes to shit. Although it's probably blamed on someone else, the fault is all Axl and not necessarily age. Sure, at 50+, your voice wont be as strong but a singer knows not to add breathing problems and weak vocal muscles to the aging effect.

I want to know who he thinks is to blame. Father time or himself.

At the risk of being controversial (and the following is pure supposition) I read something recently that reminded me about the discussions re Axl's very deep speaking voice back in the 80s vs todays higher sounding voice.

The article was about bulimia and how it affects the vocal chords basically making a persons voice sound deep (there are other things that can do this of course, thyroid issues for example) but it made me think of Axl because it also mentioned the eroding of tooth enamel as a side effect and we all remember the old teeth....

Anyway just one possible theory, I do feel a bit bad bringing it up because it is a horrid psychological disorder but I wondered what other people thought.

It seems that the 'voice' is slowly improving.... From last night show.

even if it improves, it will sound just like any welcome to the jungle from 2012, in 2012 every wttj from the european tour had rasp

I think it is due to a variety of reasons. I think we can all agree that age takes its toll on every singer.

Then there is the issue of Axl's singing style. Difficult to keep that up.

That being said, he could be in better shape and doing more to protect his voice. We've seen numerous photos of Axl smoking cigars, even recently. Then there is his drinking. We don't know if he is on medication or if he uses recreational drugs. There are rumours about that latter, no proof though.

We also don't know if he has a vocal coach and to what extent he rehearses. The evidence suggests not much.

I think tht is a pretty fair picture of the situation.

At the risk of being controversial (and the following is pure supposition) I read something recently that reminded me about the discussions re Axl's very deep speaking voice back in the 80s vs todays higher sounding voice.

The article was about bulimia and how it affects the vocal chords basically making a persons voice sound deep (there are other things that can do this of course, thyroid issues for example) but it made me think of Axl because it also mentioned the eroding of tooth enamel as a side effect and we all remember the old teeth....

Anyway just one possible theory, I do feel a bit bad bringing it up because it is a horrid psychological disorder but I wondered what other people thought.

I know someone who did cocaine with Axl a few years ago, and if you look at what that drug did to Whitney Houston's voice...it's possible drug abuse could be doing the same thing to Axl.

I know someone who did cocaine with Axl a few years ago, and if you look at what that drug did to Whitney Houston's voice...it's possible drug abuse could be doing the same thing to Axl.

That is quite possible. I wasn't meaning his current voice though. I remember there was a thread after he appeared on Kimmel wondering why his speaking voice in the 80s was so deep compared to now and that's what I thought of when I read the article. I don't doubt he is probably still partial to a bit of Splenda these days still.

Like I said before Axl's vocals are slowly improving... I f he keeps going like this, maybe we'll even see a repeat of Philly '12 show kind of voice shape. :shades:

From 2m35s to 3m00s in the video it's pretty obvious that Axl's still got it (the rasp) and unfortunately chooses not to use it most of times.

TIL with plenty of rasp on the first part of the song is also pretty rare...

He hasn't lost shit. When he bothers to put enough effort in when he wants to, it's just as good as ever.

I do agree that he hasn't lost it, but the effort put into keeping his voice in shape is not there. You always hear glimpses of his rasp, and usually always is spot on for the first three songs of the set, but after that he flatlines into mickey. I don't think 2006 / 2010 voice was just a fluke, he could easily just get back to that with getting in better shape.

You know it's bad when someone needs to overanalyze Youtube videos and says something like "He sounded like shit the whole video but from 2:59 to 3:01, there were 3 seconds of rasp, so he's improving!". :lol:

I'm sorry but that's not what I wanted for and from my favorite singer and frontman of all time.

Edited by pi2loc

You know it's bad when someone needs to overanalyze Youtube videos and says something like "He sounded like shit the whole video but from 2:59 to 3:01, there were 3 seconds of rasp, so he's improving!". :lol:

I'm sorry but that's not what I wanted for and from my favorite singer and frontman of all time.

This

This

+1

I think it all surrounds confidence. You see him in 2010 showing his face and showing some aggression. same with 2006 and 80s and 90s. Now he seems to lack self confidence and aggression which may be delaying inspiration in his voice. I still believe Axl has the greatest rock n roll voice nowadays and there is no point in bashing him further.