Biggie vs. Tupac

Vincent Vega

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't actively seeked out biggies music, but 2pac is my choice at the moment.

If you like rap you should. Even though I prefer 2pac, biggie was the shit. Notorious thugs is my fav biggie song. If you haven't heard it go listen to it now. Bone thugs + biggie= amazing

I much prefer Biggie. Ready to Die is better than anything Tupac put out imo, his music was a lot more fun, he had a good balance of humor and heavy shit, and his flow sounds a lot more natural to me. Tupac had some good shit but his voice kind of annoys me after a while, he had some pretty boring albums, and California Love is the worst fucking song ever released.

Edited by sweetness

Guest Gunns

I haven't actively seeked out biggies music, but 2pac is my choice at the moment.

If you like rap you should. Even though I prefer 2pac, biggie was the shit. Notorious thugs is my fav biggie song. If you haven't heard it go listen to it now. Bone thugs + biggie= amazing

I'll check it out, does biggie incorporate other influences of music styles or is it just mainly rap?

Biggie is the better MC, but I prefer Pac's music, voice and lyrical content. Ready to Die is Biggie's best album but Life After Death has his biggest hits. You probably know Hypnotize and Mo Mo Mo Problems.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Guest NGOG

Who was the better rapper?

I haven't met many people incapable of liking both. I fall into that category however Pac would just edge it for me. 2Pac was in every sense of the word enlightened.

Biggie is the better MC, but I prefer Pac's music, voice and lyrical content..

I think the above is how I feell. Pac was a lot better in songwriting and lyrics. Still nobody can come near.

Edited by MB.

• 1 year later...

People say Kurt Cobain was the John Lennon of the '90s, but I have to disagree. I believe Tupac was. Tupac was a soft spoken (outside of his music), intelligent, intellectual guy. He really wasn't the thug he was made out to be, at least until he signed with Death Row. He wasn't some dumb, self obsessed idiot like Kanye who thinks he's God's gift to the world; Tupac seemed pretty humble. The guy read books voraciously and always kept his mind open to new things, and he was a true poet, not just a rapper or musician. Whereas Kurt, while intelligent and insightful himself, was never up to that rare Lennon-Tupac level of intellect or depth. I think Tupac was one of the greatest and most intriguing musicians who ever lived and I find his interviews, the one where he's actually being himself and not "2pac" are perhaps even more interesting than his music.

People say Kurt Cobain was the John Lennon of the '90s, but I have to disagree. I believe Tupac was. Tupac was a soft spoken (outside of his music), intelligent, intellectual guy. He really wasn't the thug he was made out to be, at least until he signed with Death Row. He wasn't some dumb, self obsessed idiot like Kanye who thinks he's God's gift to the world; Tupac seemed pretty humble. The guy read books voraciously and always kept his mind open to new things, and he was a true poet, not just a rapper or musician. Whereas Kurt, while intelligent and insightful himself, was never up to that rare Lennon-Tupac level of intellect or depth. I think Tupac was one of the greatest and most intriguing musicians who ever lived and I find his interviews, the one where he's actually being himself and not "2pac" are perhaps even more interesting than his music.

I despise rap music and Kanye West.

• Like 2

I despise rap music and Kanye West.

Said to annoy Bacardi, who was antagonizing Nobody puts baby in a corner fans.

I also indulge in dialectical thinking a lot. I can hate rap on one hard for what it represents, and yet love it for what it is.

Dialetic thinking, thats an interesting re-configuration of the phrase 'chatting shit'.

Basically, I do not like what modern rap has become, which for me is most epitomized by Kanye West. I think early rap, and the stuff artists like N.W.A. and Tupac were putting out, had social meaning; gave something positive to society and asked questions of us and got people thinking. I also feel in the case of Tupac that a lot of his work was pure poetry (which he in interviews agreed with as that's how he started off). I feel modern rap degrades both the genre and society at large. I do not find songs about shooting hos to be high art or to add anything to society. But Tupac saying in '95 or '96 that we weren't ready for a black President and the like, that was socially conscious, that was real. Kanye West couldn't hope to shine Tupac's shoes yet he parades around as if he was God's gift to music, and that makes me loathe the guy. Even the most big headed guys like John Lennon felt they owed a debt to the black bluesmen who inspired them. They didn't think their shit didn't stink, and for early rappers, it wasn't about celebrating the thug life so much of as "this is how shitty it is". The elevation of being a thug, the baggy pants where I can see a guy's boxers, and the devaluation of society and language in general, along with the mindset of "I'm the best thing that ever happened to music cause I'm Kanye West" is what makes me hate modern rap.

Dialetic thinking, thats an interesting re-configuration of the phrase 'chatting shit'.

Basically, I do not like what modern rap has become, which for me is most epitomized by Kanye West. I think early rap, and the stuff artists like N.W.A. and Tupac were putting out, had social meaning; gave something positive to society and asked questions of us and got people thinking. I also feel in the case of Tupac that a lot of his work was pure poetry (which he in interviews agreed with as that's how he started off). I feel modern rap degrades both the genre and society at large. I do not find songs about shooting hos to be high art or to add anything to society. But Tupac saying in '95 or '96 that we weren't ready for a black President and the like, that was socially conscious, that was real. Kanye West couldn't hope to shine Tupac's shoes yet he parades around as if he was God's gift to music, and that makes me loathe the guy. Even the most big headed guys like John Lennon felt they owed a debt to the black bluesmen who inspired them. They didn't think their shit didn't stink, and for early rappers, it wasn't about celebrating the thug life so much of as "this is how shitty it is". The elevation of being a thug, the baggy pants where I can see a guy's boxers, and the devaluation of society and language in general, along with the mindset of "I'm the best thing that ever happened to music cause I'm Kanye West" is what makes me hate modern rap.

I really don't want to get into a debate on this because I'm unsure how willing you are to be seriously openminded, but I would like to note that Tupac and Biggie talk more about shooting people than Kanye does, because, well, Kanye doesn't talk about that whatsoever. Not that it matters at all, but it seems to be a measure by which you rate Kanye on. A lot of Kanye's music is just as socially conscious as Tupac's and has touched on things that Tupac didn't even himself (same goes the other way around). The way you classify Kanye (and following up, the entire modern rap scene) as being about "shootin hos" (lol) is laughably ignorant and, as some of us are beginning to feel, mostly driven by your racist sentiments. If you're interested in hearing Kanye songs that are socially conscious then I'd be glad to send you some.

I mean, look, if you want to criticize modern rap for its' lyrical content then thats one discussion, but to make it out that Kanye is the posterboy of the kind of modern rap you disagree with is flat out 100% wrong and shows that your knowledge of Kanye consists of 3 songs (tops) and a radio interview.. Choose Lil Wayne or Young Thug or something because Kanye is really not who you're after.

• Like 3

Yes, the thoughtful thinking tender hearted Tupac, the poet, the gentle soul...uh, that wrote Hit Em Up :lol: Kanye is much more into the being an artist aspect than Pac ever was. Not that Pac wasn't into being an artist, he just wasn't in love with that shit above all else in the way Kanye is. And thats not a diss at Kanye either.

So Tupac whoose 'epitaph will read was the last of G's, kicked the shit to make the white man bleed' is the gentle sensitive poet...and Kanyes the shallow shit-kicker whoose actually making an effort, however much i dislike his efforts, to push the envelope within his genre.

Your problem is Miser you can't get your dick hard over someone until they're dead, when it's convenient to your particular mental illness you'll be caning Tupac too. I can't remember ever hearing Kanye threaten to kill anyones children on wax.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 4