Axl's voice at the moment

GNR 1991

So, I haven't posted here in awhile, because things have been so dead lately. Same setlists since 2011 and no new music, etc. Also, after seeing the band at the Bridge School show, I lost a lot of faith in Axl's voice. This topic concerns strictly his voice during this mini tour which blows off at the Governor's Ball festival this weekend (which I think will be broadcasted on YouTube).

I didn't watch any videos from the 2013 Aussie tour, but I've been checking out the super recent stuff and to me he sounds way better than he did in 2011/2012, and is getting closer to the 2010 voice. It seems to me that Axl is 100% capable of rasp, but is holding back a lot of the time (especially on YCBM and SCOM). Then I saw this Nightrain from two nights ago, and was kinda happy to hear him sound good and look better than usual. Same goes for Jungle.

It's not incredible or anything, but it sounds pretty good to me. I hope he keeps improving and if indeed the GB festival is broadcasted on YouTube, he fucking brings it 100% and doesn't embarrass himself (VMA's, RIRIV, Bridge School). What does everyone think of his current voice? Better than 2011/2012? Worse?

When something is better than utterly crap it's still not good
I've lost my complete faith in Axl's voice since 2012 (the last time he sang with good rasp is the philly show) This is different than 2002, this is gonna be a stabile clusterfuck voice

Edited by Crash Diet

So, I haven't posted here in awhile, because things have been so dead lately. Same setlists since 2011 and no new music, etc. Also, after seeing the band at the Bridge School show, I lost a lot of faith in Axl's voice. This topic concerns strictly his voice during this mini tour which blows off at the Governor's Ball festival this weekend (which I think will be broadcasted on YouTube).

I didn't watch any videos from the 2013 Aussie tour, but I've been checking out the super recent stuff and to me he sounds way better than he did in 2011/2012, and is getting closer to the 2010 voice. It seems to me that Axl is 100% capable of rasp, but is holding back a lot of the time (especially on YCBM and SCOM). Then I saw this Nightrain from two nights ago, and was kinda happy to hear him sound good and look better than usual. Same goes for Jungle.

It's not incredible or anything, but it sounds pretty good to me. I hope he keeps improving and if indeed the GB festival is broadcasted on YouTube, he fucking brings it 100% and doesn't embarrass himself (VMA's, RIRIV, Bridge School). What does everyone think of his current voice? Better than 2011/2012? Worse?

Agree ... it's getting closer to 2010 voice.

And you can add RQ to that list rock3

Edited by GUNNER PT

It's tough to determine based on those two videos alone. If he sang like that throughout the entire concert then I would say he sounds better now than he did last year, but like I said, the sample size you have provided is a bit too small to come to that conclusion. Axl generally always brings it for Jungle so not the best song choice to determine his vocal abilities.

I sometimes feel like cutting the guy some slack. If this is the best he can do, then fine, what are really expecting at this point? Sure, he could retire, but so long as people who attend the shows are enjoying it then what's the harm. Am I, as someone who has followed the guy's career since the late 80s, a little embarrassed for him when he sounds like Mickey Mouse? Sure. But if people who attend the shows don't know any better and can't remember how awesome his vocals use to be (even as of 2010), then who am I to tell them they shouldn't go or can't enjoy the performances. Personally, I have no motivation to attend another GNR show if his vocal state continues where it's at or new music isn't offered. But for others, who I am I to say otherwise.

Unless Axl is the laziest, least vain asshole around, i can't imagine he'd be fine with how he was sounding if he knew he could sound better. Maybe he has no idea or really just doesn't give a fuck, but I give the guy enough credit that he's aware of his vocal capabilities and does the best with where he is in his life. It's a shame he can't sound like he did in 2010 (it was so awesome), but if he simply doesn't have it anymore, then me bitching about it isn't going to do anything.

It's tough to determine based on those two videos alone. If he sang like that throughout the entire concert then I would say he sounds better now than he did last year, but like I said, the sample size you have provided is a bit too small to come to that conclusion. Axl generally always brings it for Jungle so not the best song choice to determine his vocal abilities.

I sometimes feel like cutting the guy some slack. If this is the best he can do, then fine, what are really expecting at this point? Sure, he could retire, but so long as people who attend the shows are enjoying it then what's the harm. Am I, as someone who has followed the guy's career since the late 80s, a little embarrassed for him when he sounds like Mickey Mouse? Sure. But if people who attend the shows don't know any better and can't remember how awesome his vocals use to be (even as of 2010), then who am I to tell them they shouldn't go or can't enjoy the performances. Personally, I have no motivation to attend another GNR show if his vocal state continues where it's at or new music isn't offered. But for others, who I am I to say otherwise.

Unless Axl is the laziest, least vain asshole around, i can't imagine he'd be fine with how he was sounding if he knew he could sound better. Maybe he has no idea or really just doesn't give a fuck, but I give the guy enough credit that he's aware of his vocal capabilities and does the best with where he is in his life. It's a shame he can't sound like he did in 2010 (it was so awesome), but if he simply doesn't have it anymore, then me bitching about it isn't going to do anything.

Well said all of it.

As to Axl being aware of the state of his voice, he recently did talk about doing warm-up and warm-downs rigorously, which at least suggests that he takes his voice seriously these days. And he must, otherwise he just wouldn't be able to sing like he does for 2-3 hours at his age. People tend to be personally insulted that he doesn't have the voice he had when he was 25. To those I say: Get over it.

Who would have thought back in the early 90s that Axl would still be fronting Guns N' Roses 20 years later, entertaining audiences all over the world and still have an amazing voice. We truly are lucky fans.

are you serious

Amazing voice?

he is just a shadow of former self...

yes, i know his heydays are gone, like everybody else, but c'mon...

His voice is mostly cringeworthy

The last time when he sang really really good is 2010 (maybe the 2012 Philly)

Who would have thought back in the early 90s that Axl would still be fronting Guns N' Roses 20 years later, entertaining audiences all over the world and still have an amazing voice. We truly are lucky fans.

are you serious

Amazing voice?

he is just a shadow of former self...

yes, i know his heydays are gone, like everybody else, but c'mon...

His voice is mostly cringeworthy

The last time when he sang really really good is 2010 (maybe the 2012 Philly)

I am always serious. I am not denying that his voice has been better in many previous years, but that doesn't mean I can't say it is still amazing when he is able to sing very challenging songs in 2-3 hour shows at his age. All is relative.

We fans tend to focus on small aspects of his voice and forget the overall picture. We don't praise him when he sings tricky parts that other singers would struggle with. We don't praise him when he still sings with a very wide range. We don't praise him when he manages to infuse his voice with the same passion and feelings like before. We nitpick at the smaller details because we, as fans, are so very obvious to them because we have the studio recordings and previous live performances in our minds. We simply forget about the broad picture. We also speak from the conviction that he should sing today as he did back in the 80s, disregarding the fact that he is now passed 50 and has done lots of damage to his voice chords. We are not fair in our assessment.

I also agree that some of the last performances, although not on pair with 2010, were very encouraging with Axl singing generally more strongly and energetically and using the rasp more often. Hopefully Axl will still be able to pull a Philly '12 kind of show in the near future.

Guest cbgnr666

After maticulously inspecting and annalyzing each fanmade video I have multiple opinions about the tone,pitch and quality of Axl's voice as well as the overall sound of the band and the energy released by the audience.I will make a draft report and final version will be posted here in the near future.

Edited by cbgnr666

In my opinion what makes Axl so mesmerising as a performer is that he puts his absolute all into a performance and leaves nothing left in the bag. This for me is what has always differentiated him from the other great front men. But as of 2011 to me its like he has just being going through the motions ticking the all the boxes but without any real fire or passion, I could live with the sketchy vocals/mickey mouse if I felt he was giving it everything, but as a bystander it looks like he firing on 3 out of 6 cylinders with rare flashes of brilliance when he decides to go for it.

But I think in the last few shows something has changed just by watching the videos I get the sense that he is trying and pushing himself that bit more, singing the songs with more grit and meaning and I have really enjoyed the performances sure the vocals aren't as good as ever but they are better then they have been and that has to be a good thing.

Edited by irishguns

Guest cbgnr666

In my opinion what makes Axl so mesmerising as a performer is that he puts his absolute all into a performance and leaves nothing left in the bag. This for me is what has always differentiated him from the other great front men. But as of 2011 to me its like he has just being going through the motions ticking the all the boxes but without any real fire or passion, I could live with the sketchy vocals/mickey mouse if I felt he was giving it everything, but as a bystander it looks like he firing on 3 out of 6 cylinders with rare flashes of brilliance when he decides to go for it.

But I think in the last few shows something has changed just by watching the videos I get the sense that he is trying and pushing himself that bit more, singing the songs with more grit and meaning and I have really enjoyed the performances sure the vocals aren't as good as ever but they are better then they have been and that has to be a good thing.

I agree that you can tell he doen't push as hard as compared to lets say 2010 where it looked like he was straining and pushing so hard veins were popping out of his head for nearly every performance.Something was gonna give.