Suggestion: Chinese Democracy 1.1 - The Chinese Democracy Re-Release

Fin

A re-release titled "Best of Chinese Democracy", or probably some more appropriate name, such as "Chinese Democracy 1.1" is perhaps what could finally seal the deal. This album deserves so much more recognition. In my not-the-least-humble opinion, a re-release is what could finally make it one of the best albums of all time.

Here´s the suggested new 10 track playlist;

1. Chinese Democracy

2. If The World

3. There Was a Time

4. Riad n the bedouins

5. Sorry

6. IRS

7. Street of Dreams

8. Madagascar

9. Catcher In The Rye

10. This I Love

The leftovers below are clearly good songs, but won´t make it the re-release;

Better: Overrated song. Simple as that.

Shacklers revenge: Pretty amazing solo, but apart from that, lacks a bit of soul imo.

Scraped: Good, not great.

Prostitute: I like the idea of that song more than I like the actual song.

This is something that has taken me hundreds of hours to figure out ever since the original album got out.

Was inspired to finally post something when the mod "Wasted" recently posted his suggestions for a new 14 track playlist.

Unlike (?) him though, I would prefer a 10 track album.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better: Overrated song. Simple as that.

Shacklers revenge: Pretty amazing solo, but apart from that, lacks a bit of soul imo.

Cool story bro

Stupid idea. Usually when artists re-release things they add bonus tracks, not remove tracks. All that would happen is, it would become 'common knowledge' that the older version of CD is the one to buy as it has more tracks. People wishing to buy Democracy would merely seek out the old one via amazon marketplace or ebay.

Also, Better is arguably the best song on the album. Removing Better from the tracklist would certainly hinder my regard of the album.

Populary and quality is not the same thing. Take a look at todays music industry. And yes the same principle can be applied to Gnr. Locomotive, Perfect Crime and Coma together do not reach the popularity of Sweet Child o Mine. That´s pretty fucked up.

Recognition maybe was a tad misleading. I meant recognition by music reviewers such as Allmusic, Pitchfork and Rolling Stone. That in turn will promote the New GNR legacy.

5 years later, the time is past for this. It wont be re-released no matter how good an album it is artisticly. The fact is it pretty much hit the bargain bin and underperformed expectations in sales. What record company would want to invest in a re-release under those circumstances?

This is something that has taken me hundreds of hours to figure out ever since the original album got out.

Was inspired to finally post something when the mod "Wasted" recently posted his suggestions for a new 14 track playlist.

:rofl-lol:

Horrible idea. How about the same idea with AFD.

Guns N Roses: The Very Best of AFD (A 2 CD/C-casette/MiniDisc Special Edition)

1. Welcome to the jungle

2. It's So Easy

2. Paradise City

3. Mr Brownstone

4. Nightrain

5. Sweet Child O Mine

-----BONUS CD2---

1. Sweet Child O' Mine (Live 1989)

2. 32 minute monologue about AFD by Steven "Popcorn" Adler

Just leave out all the leftovers... Blah.

Edited by Teroz

Pitchfork gave CD 5.8 / 10 .....many other reviewers gave it mediocre grades as well. Mostly due to the mediocre openers "Shacklers Revenge" (great solo though) and the way to mainstream "Better".

Scraped, good song. Though, Riad is more hardrocking and has better guitars.

Prostitute, good but didn´t quite work all the way.

Pitchfork gave CD 5.8 / 10 .....many other reviewers gave it mediocre grades as well. Mostly due to the mediocre openers "Shacklers Revenge" (great solo though) and the way to mainstream "Better".

Scraped, good song. Though, Riad is more hardrocking and has better guitars.

Prostitute, good but didn´t quite work all the way.

5.8 is a more generous score for CD than I'd ever have imagined Pitchfork would dish out.

Most reviewers noted "Better" was a highlight, and I'd argue that it was the most relevant track on the whole album at the time and the most likely hit. Rolling Stone placed it at #18 on their 100 best singles list of 2008.

There are tracks that could have been left out, but that definitely isn't one of them. Also, if CD were going to be re-released, it would make sense to add a collection of B-sides and leftovers, not cut songs out...! The only people that would buy it at this point are fans that already have the album anyway. They're not going to buy something with less on it than what they already paid for. :lol:

Most reviewers noted "Better" was a highlight, and I'd argue that it was the most relevant track on the whole album at the time and the most likely hit. Rolling Stone placed it at #18 on their 100 best singles list of 2008.

Well mainstream appeals to mainstream. What can I say. Good single doesn´t mean suitable on the album. Wouldn´t like to hear Down on the Farm inserted between Madagascar and This I Love to take a poor example.

Also, if CD were going to be re-released, it would make sense to add a collection of B-sides and leftovers, not cut songs out...! The only people that would buy it at this point are fans that already have the album anyway. They're not going to buy something with less on it than what they already paid for. :lol:

Well, to make a long story short, I value quality over quantity. Also, I want music to have meaning, make a footprint in history

Im a mod? I need to change my meds.

Maybe I need to change mine.

I definitely like the CD, ITW, TWAT run really gives a great first impression of the album.

Yeah great run indeed. You "invented" it so, thx for that.

I thing Riad kicks in very well after TWAT as well.

Edited by Fin

:rofl-lol:

This

A re-release is a step backwards. Everybody who wanted to listen the album and/or buy the album already did 4 years ago. It's over, it's time to move on. Chinese Democracy came and went without a blip on the radar and that's that. A re-release of a poorly sold album that sold way below expectations is ridiculous and stupid. Not to mention it'll be Axl's excuse to not put out a new album for another 5 years.

Plus, their hardly even playing Chinese Democracy songs during the concerts today.

If the re-release included bonus material, like for instance 3 new songs, than I'll definatey get it just for that. But, than again in a time of media and illegal downloading, people could just download the new songs and not even have to buy the album.

The best possible scenerio we could get is either a box-set with all the material recorded over the last decade and a half, or atleast a new album by the end of 2013. A re-release would have worked in 2010 while their were blazing through the tour promoting the album, but not now. It's over, it's time to move on from Chinese Democracy and focus on new material.