Do you listen to bootlegs less now that Axl doesn't Rasp

jimb0

In 2009 and 2010 I was searching out bootlegs and videos to enjoy after almost every show. The band was on fire and Axl sounded amazing. I'd put mp3's on my ipod play it at the gym. I tried to do the same in 2011 till now but for the most part I didn't enjoy it. Now that Axl is using his clean voice I've pretty much stopped listening to recent Guns shows entirely.

Am I alone here or have other people stopped listening to bootlegs of shows as well.

Yeah, I've stuck with my Rock AM Ring 2006 performance and a few from 2010. If I were a masochist I might listen to shows from 2011 onwards, but I'm not.

This sounds horrible, but lately, whenever anyone posts a youtube clip from a recent performance, I really only check it out to answer the question, "well, let's see how bad he sounded on this one."

Yep, that's where I am on this band right now.

Edited by downzy

Usually one minute of the new shows is enough. Now Tokyo 2010, that's a different story... Even 2002 with no rasp was more energetic and also had Bucket and Finck.

Really, this current band doesn't do anything for me anymore.

same here

after 2011 i rarely listened 2011-2012-2013 bootlegs (almost never)

the only show i listened frequently was the 2012 Philly or the 2012 HOb

That's all

I stay with the 2002,2006,2007,2009,2010 boots and ofc. boots from the classic years

2002 was worse than 2011,12,13 by far.

same here

That's all

I stay with the 2002,2006,2007,2009,2010 boots and ofc. boots from the classic years

I tend to sum up 2002 with simply that one Nightrain. Killer guitar work, but...

TaaaaaAAAAAAAkkkeee ittt.

same here

That's all

Buckethead + Fortus + Finck >>>>> Ashba + Fortus + Bumblefoot

In 2002 you had Brain that is much better than Frank. Robin is also much better than Ashba. Then we have the virtuosos in Ron and Bucket, the ones that will play the insane stuff and make no mistake - that's why they were brought. For that reason both Robin and DJ get to play the melodic stuff. Both represent, to me, what I like the most about new Guns. They're the guys that will get my attention, the guys that truly possess the wow factor as they're extremely talented - be it playing acoustic melodic stuff or the craziest solos, they managed to get my attention more so than Axl. For that reason Robin, Rich and DJ are secundary guys in my books. We had in Finck a musician that managed to get my attention a lot though, unlike Ashba. Player by player, to me the 2002 lineup was stronger talent wise. However, they werent tight. While they had something great going on, it's like they never sat down to give all the songs the attention they needed. It's like "Bucket gets to play Nightrain, Jungle, etc" and "Robin will play ISE, SCOM, etc". "We're set, do your thing now". The current band had enough time to perfect the songs live and I feel that they truly did a much better job as a band. Other than that, Richard greatly stepped up his game and he can manage to get my attention like Robin did, but what he can do in studio remains to be seen. His duo jams with Ron are the best since the Slash/Gilby ones such as Wild Horses. Ashba, while being the weak link, most of the time sticks to what Slash did and for that reason he works at times as a live act. Frank does a decent job as he's a pure rock drummer, unlike Brain that had other influences. Axl can nail a few songs every night such as Jungle, Nightrain and It's so easy and other songs when he's on - in 2002 he was all Mickey period.

All in all, as a live band this one feels superior to me, while not exactly technically better, as a unit they take the cake.

If I had an audio of the London 2012 pro-shot I'd probably listen to that. I really enjoyed it. I thought the band sounded great.

Also, totally agree with Bruno's post above. 2002 was better individually but this band is the most cohesive unit it's been since Axl's return.

When you have Buckethead in your band, you just forget about how awful Axl sounds. And even if he sounded as awful as he does now he had this natural power in him. I'd always prefer the 2002-line up.

Other than that, Richard greatly stepped up his game and he can manage to get my attention like Robin did, but what he can do in studio remains to be seen. His duo jams with Ron are the best since the Slash/Gilby ones such as Wild Horses.

Good call on that one. Richard's solo is the one I sort of enjoy. Also the jams are great.

Wasn't Wild Horses beautiful? :hug:

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Why are you calling it White Worses? Am I missing something? :lol: yes, it was lovely. Just listened to it again, awesome stuff :)

Are you sleepy or extremely drunk? :lol: I wrote Wild Horses and I did the same as soon as I finished reading your post!

Edit: My bad I wrote "Worses" but you wrote "White" :tongue2:

wtf?

What has happened with the latest Australian/Rivercity bootlegs is that I've listened to them once as a whole, got the idea and would sometimes listen to a few songs separately, mostly Catcher, No Quarter, etc..

I listen to boots from 2010 every single week, especially the O2 with Duff and Lille, which are probably the best in terms of fantastic clear sound and Axl on fire from start to end. There are plenty of other great ones too like Toronto, Arnhem, Gelderome.

I particularly listen to the new songs from those shows which are far superior to the studio versions on Chinese, for me. I personally hate the multi-layered, mega-produced vocals on Madagascar and This I Love which I think dilute the emotion rather than enhance it. Listening to what might as well be 1992 Axl singing the absolute shit out of Madagascar and This I Love at London 2010 beats the studio versions completely. He also sounds FAR stronger on Better at those shows than the studio version, not to mention Sorry. And there is an incredible If The World from Toronto.

What absolutely fucking sucks beyond belief is that after struggling so badly with Twat and Prostitute in 2009, he didn't bring them back into the set and give them a chance in 2010 hen he was absolutely on fire and could have nailed them for posterity. I love the Twat studio vocal because it's completely dry (no multilayering etc) but it would be amazing to have some live versions as i've described above. The 12th May Hammersmith 2006 Twat was really solid and gives an idea of how great it could have been live if Axl and the band practiced it every night like the boring as fuck done-to-death classics.

Prostitute is an incredible song but is absolutely ruined for me by the processed, multilayered vocals. He struggled like fuck with it in 2009 which is likely why, like with Twat, he gave up on it.

The ridiculous thing is that he struggled initially in 2001-2002 with most of the songs including Jungle, which he has now done so many times that he can always pull it off decently, even in 2011-2013. Imagine if he'd given Prostitute and Twat that chance. You'd think he'd want to since they're his fucking labour of love but no, he'd rather play Appetite in the same order every fucking night.

There's also some amazing stuff from 2006, especially Rock Am Ring; the first few performances of Don't Cry are magical; there are some great versions of Madagascar and Better. I personally prefer the full power and control he had in 2010 to the more clean/rasp mix he used in 2006 which wasn't quite as reliable.

2002 becomes somewhat redundant in terms of vocals when there is so much amazing stuff from 2006-2010. But there are still a few really strong performances like Madagascar and Heaven's Door from Cleveland and LALD from Pittsburgh which has the longest, most insane screams he ever did (literally twice the length of his regular ones).

Obviously, Bucket was fucking awesome. But I can only listen and imagine that Nightrain solo with 2010 Axl and a more cohesive band. Or Bucket playing Sorry, Twat and Prostitute.

Edited by Jordan Rose

When it comes to bootlegs I stick to the same ones.

With the original lineup I listen to the Ritz 88 and Marquee 87 along with Paris and Chicago 92.

I barely listen to 2002 bootlegs these days, other than The Blues in Boston as that is my favorite version of that song.

From 2006 I like Rock Am Ring but find myself listening to the December L.A. shows more often.

In all honesty even though 2010 was a great year for Guns N' Roses I don't have any boots from that year other than the low quality Hamilton gig as I was there and they played TWAT.

Other boots are the streamed shows from 2011 and the recent London 2012 leak which I think is fantastic. Great performance an great quality.