AC/DC are a terrible band.

Towelie

AC/DC were the first band I ever got into but I never did join up on any AC/DC boards. This was the first forum I joined.

I still love AC/DC even though I don't listen to them quite as much any more. Probably the most fun, raw rock band around and they always deliver. I managed to see them three times on the Black Ice tour and those were three of the best shows I've ever seen.

My favorite album is probably Highway to Hell. Shot Down In Flames, If You Want Blood, Touch Too Much, Walk All Over You, and the title track are all among my favorite songs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AC/DC were the first band I ever got into but I never did join up on any AC/DC boards. This was the first forum I joined.

I still love AC/DC even though I don't listen to them quite as much any more. Probably the most fun, raw rock band around and they always deliver. I managed to see them three times on the Black Ice tour and those were three of the best shows I've ever seen.

My favorite album is probably Highway to Hell. Shot Down In Flames, If You Want Blood, Touch Too Much, Walk All Over You, and the title track are all among my favorite songs.

1. Agree. I hate how Black in Black gets so much credit, when Highway to Hell was the best lineup's best album and the best overall.

2. Sig is boss.

OP's problem is that he is already taking AC/DC WAYYYYY more seriously than they ever for a minute took themselves or any of their fans took them. That's why he doesn't get them.

Got front row twice for the Black Ice tour. Best two shows I've ever seen BY FAR. I'm talking more than twice as good as the next best show I've seen.

Honestly I'm quite surprised by Len's positive view on AC/DC, but I agree with him 100%. I always got the sense that Len felt music had to mean something, which AC/DC doesn't. Pleasantly surprised with Len (I like Len a lot more now, not that I didn't like him before :lol: ).

Like for seemingly everyone else, AC/DC is what got me into hard rock. AC/DC is pretty much Hard Rock 101. My first favorite band. Now they share that distinction with Gn'R and Van Halen. When I was 13 or 14 I used to listen to them probably 8 hours a day every day for a year and a half :lol:

I love the fact that they always put on a big production, their tickets are reasonably priced, they are never in the news for any other reason than they are putting on a show, they've never had a hit but have dozens of classics, they have the top selling hard rock album of all time, have never sold out in pretty much any way shape or form, and have never put out a greatest hits or best of album. They're ugly as hell and they know it and it's part of the joke, especially when the song is about them being horny little (and they are little... 5' 2" or so) buggers.

They are pretty much the definition of hard rock. You can embellish it a bit from what they've done, but their music is like the base of what hard rock is.

I literally cannot listen to their music and not headbang. It just happens involuntarily. Such driving, heavy beats. So much energy.

I listened to Back in Black the other day for the first time in ages. Holy fuck did that feel good. Such a perfect album. Amazing to think they did that as the first effort with a new singer they hardly knew after just losing their original singer and friend. No other band has pulled off anything remotely close to this feat. And it's not even my favorite album of theirs :lol:

I love how when they put out a new album, you're really looking forward to new AC/DC, then you listen to it and it's like you've always known that song, even though it's the first time you've ever heard it, but I mean that in a good way. I mean, they are completely predictable. You know what you're going to get when they put out something new, but you're excited anyway. And the new thing is just so pleasing to the ears and you can rock out to it and headbang like it's always been there, and before long you can sing along easily and it's just another classic AC/DC rocker.

Nobody has ever been able to do their thing like AC/DC do their thing. Fucking awesome, amazing band.

BTW, Towelie is by far the worst character in South Park next to the talking turd. Childish comment? Yes, but you had it coming after this :lol:

The AC/DCrocks board? Fuck that shit, man. I was even before that, on the Elektra board before they switched record labels, only I went as DDDDCheap then, back with that guy Maniac and GuitarNaziMike and FatNerd if you were on that board, too.

I'll give you that one, that was before my time.

I don't think taking them too seriously is the problem at all. I like plenty of hard rock bands who have the depth of a paddling pool. Trouble is with AC/DC, I just don't hear a hook in any of their songs. Nothing excites me. Nothing makes me want to rock out, headbang or even tap my toes. It's just all so meh.

So far I've listened to Back In Black album several times, Highway To Hell album twice and a few other of their better known hits. Music is very subjective and you can't like everything. AC/DC just isn't for me.

BTW, Towelie is great.

OP's problem is that he is already taking AC/DC WAYYYYY more seriously than they ever for a minute took themselves or any of their fans took them. That's why he doesn't get them.

I literally cannot listen to their music and not headbang. It just happens involuntarily. Such driving, heavy beats. So much energy.

:

I agree. My kids and myself love to headbang on AC/DC at times. We are having so much fun than. When my 5,5 year old son is bored and starts to annoy everybody, cause he has too much energy, I just play some AC/DC to get rid of that energy. It's very funny. We love that, makes us laugh :lol: . AC/DC is really not a very serious band, just good old fashion Rock 'n Roll.

Guest Len B'stard

What is a hook exactly? I hear people use the term all the time but I've not heard it well defined.

The hook is basically the part of the song that drags you in, the bit that you hum of a song when you're walking down the street, it doesn't necessarily have to be words it can be a riff or just a particular bit of phrasing in the song. Like for instance Walk this Way the hook could be the chorus or the Joe Perry riff. It's the particular musical phrase or section of piece of lyrics that the song is centered around or builds or leads up to.

The reason you ain't heard a perfect defintion is because it's kind of a loose thing and is predicated on the idea that there are certain things in music, or certain tendencies listeners have towards music that are, to some degree, universal or are kind of...y'know, like by and large the majority will respond to them.

Edited by sugaraylen

"Powerage" is my favorite.

I've said before I wish they revamped "Bonfire" and made it a proper audio/video retrospective, esp. now that "Let There Be Rock" has been out on DVD.

It's been forever since I've seen Let There Be Rock on VHS. I think they had Touch Too Much or something on there, but during that song they played some stupid video of Bon slipping around on a frozen pond. Is it still like that on the DVD or do you get concert footage? For all I know, they only did that because they had to change the camera battery or the film during that song or something :lol:

And Angus has a shitty guitar tech. I remember in Whole Lotta Rosie he busted a string on one SG, so he goes to exchange it for another and they give him one without a strap and which is completely out of tune. He has to tune it while soloing and the roadie comes out to put the strap on over him while he's flailing about :lol: Reminded me of Spinal Tap when the roadie spins... was it Nigel?... on the floor :lol:

Walk All Over You is the song, and yes, it's still got the goofy pond footage. I wish they had done Touch Too Much on it. I also like when they switch out Phil's snare in the middle of a song but I can't remember which song off hand. Then there's the totally out of tune bass guitar during Live Wire among a couple other guitar related problems (like the Whole Lotta Rosie thing you mentioned). All part of the fun of a pretty raw show! I got the Bonfire set long before I finally landed my hands on the VHS and on the CD version it's hilarious to listen to because you have no idea what's going on so it just sounds awful. The video finally made sense of it.

But yeah - the bonus features and packaging are cool and the transfer of the show is great, but I wish they restored some of the footage like TNT (the audio exists on the CD version of course but the video is nowhere to be found). Maybe that's when the camera battery died.

Walk All Over You is the song

It's still a killer performance of it! One of my favourite songs to see/hear Bon sing live.

I'd like to thank OP for making this thread; I've listened to AC/DC every day since I first posted in it, which I hadn't done for years. :lol:

Pumping Flick Of The Switch for the third time in as many days!

It's still a killer performance of it! One of my favourite songs to see/hear Bon sing live.

I'd like to thank OP for making this thread; I've listened to AC/DC every day since I first posted in it, which I hadn't done for years. :lol:

Same! Popped in T.N.T. today - what a great album! Much better than the international version of High Voltage, those couple song differences really make it.

Same! Popped in T.N.T. today - what a great album! Much better than the international version of High Voltage, those couple song differences really make it.

Agreed, i prefer the Australian versions of the first 4 records.

These were the albums as they originally intended it, I don't know why they haven't changed it by now. I don't remember if Powerage was the first where it was the same worldwide, or it was one or two songs. At least with Volts and Backtracks, you can put together a comprehensive Bon Scott era collection.

These were the albums as they originally intended it, I don't know why they haven't changed it by now. I don't remember if Powerage was the first where it was the same worldwide, or it was one or two songs. At least with Volts and Backtracks, you can put together a comprehensive Bon Scott era collection.

The European version of Powerage had an alternate version of Kicked In The Teeth, and Cold Hearted Man (GREAT song!)

Love how the topic has turned into essentialy a big AC/DC love-fest.

OP makes basically a ridiculous claim given the nature of this forum, fans come in and discuss. What would you expect to happen other than the consensus being that AC/DC is awesome?