AC/DC are a terrible band.

Towelie

I've listened to Back In Black album several times and I know Thunderstruck and Whole Lotta Rosie... and I gotta say, I just don't get the appeal.

Their songs are cheese fests, Brian Johnson is a terrible singer and they're the living embodiment of the term "dad rock".

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

They have a passion for their genre, they stick to it, they been around for decades and have been unwaivering in the aforementioned commitment, to me that deserves respect, i think they're a fantastic band, i've only really heard their Bon Scott stuff but i think it was fantastic. Loads of bands are one trick ponies, in fact, the vast majority tend to be, a lot of what passes for and gets credit for having different strings to ones bow usually amounts to a layer of periphery anyway.

Maybe because you only listen to the Back In Black album and Thunderstruck.

The Bon Scott-era was pure magic. I think you should see them live, or on youtube.

I agree, the Bon Scott era was a lot better. I mostly listen to that.

As a live band, they are still great.

They have a passion for their genre, they stick to it, they been around for decades and have been unwaivering in the aforementioned commitment, to me that deserves respect, i think they're a fantastic band, i've only really heard their Bon Scott stuff but i think it was fantastic. Loads of bands are one trick ponies, in fact, the vast majority tend to be, a lot of what passes for and gets credit for having different strings to ones bow usually amounts to a layer of periphery anyway.

Len knows how to say it. Exactly this ^

Towelie, you made a mistake when starting with that album. Just listen to the Bon ones first.

Edited by MBRose

Guest Len B'stard

Highway to Hell and Powerage are my two favorites :) With Highway to Hell being one of the best albums i ever heard anywhere ever. I don't agree with this idea of doing different things just for their own sake, it's gotta have a point, they did little things different, they slowed it down when it served the song to do so, listen to something like Night Prowler. AC/DC are one of few bands i can name that can slow a song down and yet still have it be just as powerful and i don't mean powerful in the way you might say Redemption Song by Bob Marley is powerful, i mean powerful as in like, literally the audio the equivalent of muscle.

Legend has it Richard Ramierez used to listen to this before he went out plugged people. To me this is like a sequel to Midnight Rambler by The Stones.

Edited by sugaraylen

I've listened to Back In Black album several times and I know Thunderstruck and Whole Lotta Rosie... and I gotta say, I just don't get the appeal.

Their songs are cheese fests, Brian Johnson is a terrible singer and they're the living embodiment of the term "dad rock".

Your musical taste is terrible

They played simple straight forward hard rock

Nothing groundbreaking or progressive, but extremely fantastic on a concert

Dad rock?

lol

Then why are you going to see Axl's band? They mostly played dad rock songs....

Those who used the term dad rock are hipsters and musical snobs

/thread

Edited by Crash Diet

Dad rock?

lol

/thread

My musical taste is terrible because I don't like AC/DC??

Butthurt much?

Dad rock?

lol

/thread

Butthurt much?

Nope

but i never met someone who doesn't like this band

(and believe me, my friends are listening a lot of different genres)

Edited by Crash Diet

Dad rock?

lol

/thread

Butthurt much?

Nope

ACDC is not as good as they are big. They have maybe a dozen or so good songs. That's not impressive when they are as big as they are and have released so many albums. Over-rated.

Dad rock?

lol

/thread

Butthurt much?

Nope

ACDC is not as good as they are big. They have maybe a dozen or so good songs. That's not impressive when they are as big as they are and have released so many albums. Over-rated.

Maybe

but a terrible band?

c'mon man

If you ever saw them live you know that "terrible" is the worst and most idiotic insult towards them....

Edited by Crash Diet

Shit thread.

AC/DC acknowledge that all their albums follow the same, simple formula. They stay true to it intentionally - it's who they are, who they always have been and who they always will be.

It's not music you're supposed to think about, it's just simple, brash, fun, rock n' roll and nobody does that better than AC/DC. Go get drunk, throw on Highway To Hell and rock the fuck out.

The years with Brian have definitely seen a decline in the quality of their output, but the Bon Scott-era is awesome. I don't listen to them the way I used to, but they always hold a special place in my heart - they were the stepping stone to so many other bands for me.

Also, one of the best live bands of all time. I'm yet to see a guitarist match Angus for intensity on stage:

You don't even need a video - the intensity is all there in the audio. One of my favourite soundboards from the Highway To Hell tour:

Find me another band that can play a set as raw as that, night after night, and I'll be impressed. That's the second last song of the show too!

love ac/dc. powerage is my favorite, if you want blood, dirty deeds, and the criminally underrated flick of the switch(which is what the follow up to back in black should have been)

Agree bran, there are some seriously underrated tracks on that album. The title track, Rising Power and Nervous Shakedown are my favourites. The "raw" production is kinda shitty though. Improved a lot with the remasters.

Aside from Back In Black, it's probably my favourite release from the 80's - I always enjoyed it a lot more than For Those About To Rock. :shrugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KobUpe0MRFE

The Brian-era equivalent of Powerage.