Does the label "own" CD II?

volcano62

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I Don't Have You was a hit in South America, or at least in Peru. I remember hearing it nonstop on the radio. However, Ain't It Fun? :lol: I can't even begin with that.

It's sad that Gn'R GH include 5 covers.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

It's sad that Gn'R GH include 5 covers.

That is sad actually

Ain't it fun was not a hit? I'm surprised. It's a great cover.

imo it really sucks besides Axl's vocals. Michael Monroe is awful

Greatest Hits =/= Best of

Ain't It Fun and Since I Don't Have You are not exactly what I would call "hits".

They chose something from every album. Did you expect them to release something that would not refer to TSI at all?

I could do without any TSI tracks. The album imo is garbage.

As we all know the label didn't spend 14M on just the 14 tracks that were released on Chinese Democracy.

What about all the other tracks that were recorded? Does the label own them? Can they release them whenever they want? Do they have to? Can GNR release something independently if the label doesn't want to release them?

There is certainly a hold up somewhere.....is there anyone that knows the biz that can enlighten us?

I own Axl. He is my "grasshopper" :takethat:

I could do without any TSI tracks. The album imo is garbage.

That's subjective and I doubt the label wants to watch that album rot on the shelves just because some fans dislike it.

A best of album would probably only carry Down on the farm from TSI.

Without seeing the contracts, no one knows anything.

If I was to purely assume, I would say the label owns the right to distribute any material that has been TURNED OVER to them for release - hence the allowance for GH. The copyrights for the songs are owned by the Axl, Slash and Duff for pre-94 and solely by Axl for ChiDem and after - regardless of the writing credits as I assume after all the litigation Axl had with Slash and Duff, that the lawyers ensured future contracted musicians gave up their rights (except for the right to earn a writers royalty - even that can be contracted away, so who knows). The sound recordings are also likely owned as above. It just can't be distributed by anyone other than Geffen.

Again, this is my legal guess based on no evidence. Without seeing the contracts, nobody knows for sure.

Edited by hellobeatle

A best of album would probably only carry Down on the farm from TSI.

Yep. I actually don't mind that song at all.

Oh, I thought he'd sung. :laugh: .... so they hired one guy to play that? You'd think one of the guys in the band could've done that. :laugh:

Axl always encouraged collaborations and still does, check out the CD credits. He's not a one man show contrary to popular belief.

Surely the case with CD2 is unprecedented. The label spent 14m and recouped that with the best buy deal. Presumably they made a nice juicy profit from sales worldwide.That means presumably they have in excess of 10 tracks that they could release without having to advance Guns any cash at all.So for the label, releasing CD2 will cost them comparatively very little - namely promotion and manufacturing. So this begs the question what is the hold up? Do guns want a further advance for the new guys to record? Is there an impasse with a promotional strategy? Is the label reluctant to sink money into an album following the mix up surrounding the Chinese release? Or are guns just not ready to release another record yet? So many questions and no clear answers to be found...

Oh there are definate answers, just not on this site.

Oh, I thought he'd sung. :laugh: .... so they hired one guy to play that? You'd think one of the guys in the band could've done that. :laugh:

Like zig zag, with the Trex arms :blink:

As we all know the label didn't spend 14M on just the 14 tracks that were released on Chinese Democracy. What about all the other tracks that were recorded? Does the label own them? Can they release them whenever they want? Do they have to? Can GNR release something independently if the label doesn't want to release them? There is certainly a hold up somewhere.....is there anyone that knows the biz that can enlighten us?

I own Axl. He is my "grasshopper" :takethat:

And that makes you the old dude with cataracts right Kung Fu?

Blah, I like my crazy in bread :blink:

OFF TOPIC: I do. :shades: Me too. I try to read as much as I can. I love reading in the languages I've learned. In fact, I can't remember the last time I read a book in Spanish, my native language :laugh: I've read most Stephen Kings books twice, even three times, in different languages :laugh:

EDIT:

Dave Ellefson talks about the royalties and the music biz

Edited by TombRaider

The label may not want to release cd2. If they dont, then what? Lots of albums get shelved. Dee Snider had a band after Twisted Sister called Desperado. The label shelved it and the band fell apart. I believe he bought back the rights for a few of the songs and rerecorded it in his next band Widowmaker. If Universal doesn't want to release it Axl may have to buy his way out which could explain the touring.

Label owns rights to all recordings during the session. The way around it if they want to leave label is to re record everything as they don't own the rights to the songs themselves

Artists have recorded songs they held off releasing until they were out of their recording contact. Prince and Warners got into it over him hoarding songs for "Emancipation". How would they be able to prove it when Prince works out of his own studio?

If Axl didn't pay his taxes, the IRS could easily take everything, if you watched that "Sugar Man" movie, Clarence Avant said the IRS seized all his master tapes. No one's really sure where all that stuff went, maybe to an auction, maybe sitting miles underground in a vault with a bunch of other stuff.

I've heard about label heads seizing tapes, but I've heard more stories about them getting lost, misplaced, or damaged.