Jimi Hendrix

Snake-Pit

• 6 months later...

The best to do it, end of.

Agreed.

Perhaps some have equaled him, but NONE have surpassed him. Jimi bows to no one!!!

Who do you think equaled him? I think Jeff Beck, Blackmore, and SRV had their own thing, but Jimi was just so ahead of everything else at the time, so it's like, no one had his vision.

The best to do it, end of.

Agreed.

Perhaps some have equaled him, but NONE have surpassed him. Jimi bows to no one!!!

Who do you think equaled him? I think Jeff Beck, Blackmore, and SRV had their own thing, but Jimi was just so ahead of everything else at the time, so it's like, no one had his vision.

As far as complete package goes; guitar playing, song writing, stage performance, and singing goes, no one has equaled him in my honest opinion. But if you just take guitar playing, then Page, Van Halen, SRV, and a few others have reached the same levels imo. But most of the guys that come to mind, just played guitar, they were not the complete package that Hendrix was. Jimi is a God among mortals, but sometimes (this forum in particular) technical wizards get a little to much "praise". Take Vai or Satriani for example, they can probably play Hendrix's music easier than he could play their's. But Jimi had so much more feeling and emotion in his playing, and songs for that matter. Vai wishes he wrote something half as good as little wing.

Guest Len B'stard

What Jimi Hendrix has is the unquantifiable protean quality that is capable of transporting you, through the medium of music, from wherever you are in and of yourself to a place where you are following, by sheer power of the music, Jimi's often improvisational thread, wherever the fuck it's going. You don't know where it's going, Jimi probably didn't know where it's going but it's SOOOO perfect that you follow and you follow in glee cuz it's that good, it's the musical equivalent of the greatest bus ride in the world and you don't know whether it's going to heaven or off the edge of a cliff but you don't care cuz all the bumps and chills and thrills of the ride and perfect enough to make you not care about the destination…and thats what all great music does, take you to this place where you, as Johnny Drama would put it 'lose your shit' and just follow wherever the musics going, that to me is music at it's most powerful, it's most transcendent, and it doesn't have to be something raging fast or loud or powerful, it's about the ability to transport, like when Leadbelly gives us Where Did You Sleep Last Night and you can almost hear the woods, or when the opening notes of the intro solo to All Along The Watchtower kick in and you feel as if you are taking flight…or when you hear the sax solo to Long Tall Sally and feel like you're listening to the soundtrack of a man drunk driving down a highway at night with the accelerator pressed firmly down, sailing into the unknown with no regard for consequence because the moment is just too fine to deny.

There are moments that we transcend, moments that we achieve or brush against with our fingertips as we grasp towards, or capture in crazy transient dreams, or feel or entertain the idea of such transcendence…and Jimi Hendrixses music, at it's best times is a distillation of that and thats the most precious thing in the world and you can get as good at guitar playing as any book on earth can teach ya if you like…but no book can teach you that, thats something else, something that all the attempts at in the world by the worlds most articulate people cannot really quantify or condense or reduce to a sound byte, it's an experience, like all true joys of the world :)

• Like 1

What Jimi Hendrix has is the unquantifiable protean quality that is capable of transporting you, through the medium of music, from wherever you are in and of yourself to a place where you are following, by sheer power of the music, Jimi's often improvisational thread, wherever the fuck it's going. You don't know where it's going, Jimi probably didn't know where it's going but it's SOOOO perfect that you follow and you follow in glee cuz it's that good, it's the musical equivalent of the greatest bus ride in the world and you don't know whether it's going to heaven or off the edge of a cliff but you don't care cuz all the bumps and chills and thrills of the ride and perfect enough to make you not care about the destination…and thats what all great music does, take you to this place where you, as Johnny Drama would put it 'lose your shit' and just follow wherever the musics going, that to me is music at it's most powerful, it's most transcendent, and it doesn't have to be something raging fast or loud or powerful, it's about the ability to transport, like when Leadbelly gives us Where Did You Sleep Last Night and you can almost hear the woods, or when the opening notes of the intro solo to All Along The Watchtower kick in and you feel as if you are taking flight…or when you hear the sax solo to Long Tall Sally and feel like you're listening to the soundtrack of a man drunk driving down a highway at night with the accelerator pressed firmly down, sailing into the unknown with no regard for consequence because the moment is just too fine to deny.

There are moments that we transcend, moments that we achieve or brush against with our fingertips as we grasp towards, or capture in crazy transient dreams, or feel or entertain the idea of such transcendence…and Jimi Hendrixses music, at it's best times is a distillation of that and thats the most precious thing in the world and you can get as good at guitar playing as any book on earth can teach ya if you like…but no book can teach you that, thats something else, something that all the attempts at in the world by the worlds most articulate people cannot really quantify or condense or reduce to a sound byte, it's an experience, like all true joys of the world :)

Plus he looked cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtQe4Xa2usg

When the riff kicks into this version of CB i spunk my pants :lol: I love how in all of his songs you can hear him like, agreeing with how hot his shit sounds in the background like 'yeaahh' and 'thats what i'm talkin' bout' and 'uhhh, look out now!' :lol:

lol yeah, I love it when he does that. A personal favorite is when he does it on Spanish Castle Magic. Even the way he sings 'Yeahh!' on that one adds so much energy to the performance.

It's like he's talking in between singing and playing with his guitar. "That's right bitch, do it!"

Edited by Rovim

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been reacquainting myself with 'live' Hendrix recently. Firstly on film,

Monterey '67

From an American perspective, he walked on stage an unknown and walked off a legend. From Jimi's showmanship, Mitchell's druming and then the whole Wild Thing/Guitar burning sequence, not enough superlatives exist to describe Hendrix at Monterey. Also, brilliant versions of Killing Time, Like A Rolling Stone, Rock Me Baby, combined with the earliest Experience material.

Woodstock '69

Bit ropey until the end bit (Voodoo Chile, Star Spangled Banner, Purple Haze, Improvisation, Villanova Junction), which is one of the greatest moments in the history of rock n' roll. There are other good moments also; I do like the version of Izzabella which is one of the few songs that suited the Gyspy Sun and Rainbows ‘big band' concept.

Isle of Wight '70

Hendrix seemed distracted by sound problems throughout the whole show, but this concert includes superb versions of Machine Gun, Red House and Watchtower. Watch out for the beginning when Hendrix's roadie reminds Jimi on how God Save the Queen goes by humming the melody.

On compact disc,

Concerts

Selections from Winterland, San Diego et al. Red House from New York is simply, outstanding - perhaps the greatest Red House ever recorded. His guitar solo makes you shit your pants. Little Wing is slowed down from the studio and is sublime in its beauty and sophistication. Stone Free and I Don't Live Today go into ‘freak-out’ jams which are breathtaking. You also get two near-definitive versions of Hendrix's unrecorded blues originals, Hear My Train and Bleeding Heart.

Might have to buy the recently released, Winterland boxset: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winterland-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B0055IU4IA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400414769&sr=8-1&keywords=hendrix+winterland

• 2 weeks later...

I love listening to Jimi's jams (e.g. Tax Free, Midnight, Pali Gap). It does make one feel a bit like Jim Kelly in Enter the Dragon however, sitting there listen to some blacxploitation wah wah funk - because this was the direction Hendrix took during the Gyspys period of course. Minus, sadly, Ahna Capri and her line of whores (''for me?'').

Guest Len B'stard

Come to that even Hans little soldiers looked a bit...gimpy some of em, didnt they? I love that bit just when the massive riot kicks off and Bruce starts doing people with back kicks one at a time and flattening them, he must do like 10 of em in as many seconds!