Jimi Hendrix

Snake-Pit

Anyone that says anything bad about Jimi in this thread should be castrated (so they can not breed, because it should be illegal to bring anti Hendrix children into the world, and if they already have children they should immediatly be executed for the sake of humanity), hung from the public square by their toe nails, repeatily beat over and over again until death, all while listening to Machine Gun on continuous repeat.

Sorry I just had to put that out there. No room for anti Hendrix folks in this thread, nor in real life either.....

• Like 3

Does anyone here rate any of the posthumous stuff? I'm usually against that sort of thing with my favourite artists due to their lack of involvement/polishing demo turds (threw all my dead Tupac albums in the bin, still haven't bought Xscape).

I've heard First Rays of the New Rising Sun is supposed to be like the follow up or close as it could be to Electric Ladyland (bar the godawful shite Glamour Shots by Deb artwork). Any kind words?

First Rays of the New Rising Sun is an essential purchase. You have to remember that Jimi had completed 80% of the album, i.e. studio masters; this was not an album in other words, like Xscape, consisting of demos. 'Night Bird Flying', 'Dolly Dagger', 'Ezy Ryder', 'Stepping Stone', 'Izabella', 'Straight Ahead', et al. were all finished masters (i.e. with a final mix) before Jimi's death. (some of these songs were played live on the Cry of Love Tour of 1970). Other songs existed in rough mixes, lacking only a few overdubs and final touches which Jimi desired. The only two songs which needed a lot of posthumous work were 'Angel' and 'Drifting' but this work (for the now deleted Cry of Love album) was all carried out with care by Mitch Mitchell and Eddie Kramer in 1971.

The rest of the posthumous stuff is for fans only really. South Saturn Delta is a worthy realease. It is a bit of a ramshackle affair, a mix of Experience/Gypsy outakes, First Rays material (not deemed by the Hendrix family, realised enough, to include on the actual 1997 release of that album), pyschedelic jams and other odds and sods. It is worth exploring when you have the other five discs. The rest of the posthumous studio stuff is mostly exploitative of Jimi's legacy I am afraid, especially those albums with fake Hendrix soundalikes released by Alan Douglas. I have also not been happy with the Hendrix estate, and indeed, Kramer, for the last two 'albums' by Jimi (essentially, a scraping the barrel exercise).

• 1 year later...
On 07/06/2014 at 0:30 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Well I would not say 'hardcores only', but it is definitely for those who are quite happy to listen to, Jimi jaming. An analogy would be, The Who's Odds and Sods or Zep's Coda.

As long as I'm listening to Jimi playing, i want it.

4 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Jimi might've been the last true bluesman.

As much as I love Led Zeppelin and later heavy stuff, your post is totally on point. He was utterly original, he took the blues and morphed it into something new, heavier, while taking cues from the cool stuff that was going on, and he had more soul for the music in his pinkie than Zeppelin, my favorite band, had in their entirety. He's probably one of the most important guys in music history and he's never been rivaled really, he was the total package, great singer, songwriter, guitarist, musician overall, cool personality, great fashion sense, he was everything one wants in popular music wrapped up in one young human being who died way too soon. If his last stuff that he was working on prior to his death is any indication, he was only improving. Jimi dying is probably the single greatest loss to music ever. Imagine what he could've done had he lived out the rest of the 70s, intot h 80s? Fascinating to think about.

1 minute ago, classicrawker said:

I don't know about that I would say Duane Allman and Greg Allman were pretty deep into the blues and made their music  unique with the jazz element blended in...........

No white man is a true bluesman.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

From what I read considering some of the old black Bluesmen accepted Duane as an equal I would say this statement is not entirely true...............Same could be said for Johnny Winter............

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/johnny-winter-facts-you-didnt-know/

Edited by classicrawker

12 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

My struggle/Mien kampf

They say I'm too white

To sing you the blues

They say I'm too mean

To read you the news

Well Honey

Just like

The Tranny

Who said

I've got something for you

Welcome you to

The white man blues

Edited by Snake-Pit

12 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

From what I read considering some of the old black Bluesmen accepted Duane as an equal I would say this statement is not entirely true...............Same could be said for Johnny Winter............

No ones saying you can't sing it, or play it, even do it excellently, Lord knows Eric Clapton did, many whiteboys did.  What I mean by TRUE BLUESMAN is being of a specific social experience where the blues comes from.  Even Jimi was at least somewhat removed but he's enough from it and enough exemplified it musically to where he had it.  You could even argue that whiteboys are the reason why anyone even remembers the blues, it's the same reason why black guys can't do authentic cowboy music...they can play it...and some have but it's a facsimillie. 

• Like 1

Just now, classicrawker said:

I don't know about that I would say Duane Allman and Greg Allman were pretty deep into the blues and made their music  unique with the jazz element blended in...........

Them and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Both were every much the blues as Jimi. Now Jimi was the master and THE guitar god, doesn't make him the last one. Them boys came up with and lived in the blues. They were the truth too. The black man started the blues not just because they were black, it was about being dirt poor and living in a run down place. A picture of the blues isn't a picture of a black man, it's a picture of dirt roads and the delta old shacks and cotton fields. No offense to Jimi, but he didn't live that shit. Not saying he wasn't a bluesman, but to say them boys weren't just because they were white, I can't fuck with that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Them and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Both were every much the blues as Jimi. Now Jimi was the master and THE guitar god, doesn't make him the last one. Them boys came up with and lived in the blues. They were the truth too. The black man started the blues not just because they were black, it was about being dirt poor and living in a run down place. A picture of the blues isn't a picture of a black man, it's a picture of dirt roads and the delta old shacks and cotton fields. No offense to Jimi, but he didn't live that shit. Not saying he wasn't a bluesman, but to say them boys weren't just because they were white, I can't fuck with that.

The Blues aint just about the South though, otherwise Little Walter couldnt be said to be authentic, the blues is a black thing, the rhythms of the blues and the call and response have their roots in Africa.  Which isnt to say it came fully formed from Africa cuz it didnt, its a distinctly American art form and elements of it are even taken from white American musical tradition but in its core it comes from a specific racial experience, like i said, that dont mean to say whiteboys cant play it and cant be brilliant at playing it, its just not theirs, they can be great even, what I've heard of SRV is pretty brilliant, same with Eric Clapton, who even some of the greatest bluesmen said was fantastic but...they'll never sound like Robert Johnson just like there aint a black man out there who can sound as real as Hank Williams at Country or pull off that Appalachin type shit.

We all come from something special, thats the beauty of human culture, it just so happens that the musical lineage that black people come from is lauded more in our culture, its like nobodys gonna play sitar better than Indians like Ravi Shankar, no ones gonna do Polka better than Polish people, the best Spanish guitar players are from Spain, I'm not tryna be exclusive and its not a dig, its just the way the world seems to me.

Edited by Len B'stard

Len is right, everyone else is wrong.

Jimi played on the chitlin circuit, he was the real deal. Other people might play the blues, or be inspired by it, but it's not the same thing Allman brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others are southern rock, not the blues anyways. They are great, I'm not taking anything away from them, but something is lost in translation.

The closest ANYONE has come to being a true bluesman since Hendrix was Stevie Ray Vaughn. I might accept him, but not the Allman's.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

No ones saying you can't sing it, or play it, even do it excellently, Lord knows Eric Clapton did, many whiteboys did.  What I mean by TRUE BLUESMAN is being of a specific social experience where the blues comes from.  Even Jimi was at least somewhat removed but he's enough from it and enough exemplified it musically to where he had it.  You could even argue that whiteboys are the reason why anyone even remembers the blues, it's the same reason why black guys can't do authentic cowboy music...they can play it...and some have but it's a facsimillie. 

This argument sounds familiar haha!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

The Blues aint just about the South though, otherwise Little Walter couldnt be said to be authentic, the blues is a black thing, the rhythms of the blues and the call and response have their roots in Africa.  Which isnt to say it came fully formed from Africa cuz it didnt, its a distinctly American art form and elements of it are even taken from white American musical tradition but in its core it comes from a specific racial experience, like i said, that dont mean to say whiteboys cant play it and cant be brilliant at playing it, its just not theirs, they can be great even, what I've heard of SRV is pretty brilliant, same with Eric Clapton, who even some of the greatest bluesmen said was fantastic but...they'll never sound like Robert Johnson just like there aint a black man out there who can sound as real as Hank Williams at Country or pull off that Appalachin type shit.

We all come from something special, thats the beauty of human culture, it just so happens that the musical lineage that black people come from is lauded more in our culture, its like nobodys gonna play sitar better than Indians like Ravi Shankar, no ones gonna do Polka better than Polish people, the best Spanish guitar players are from Spain, I'm not tryna be exclusive and its not a dig, its just the way the world seems to me.

I'm not even saying it's a southern thing, it's a life thing. I can see an argument against Clapton or Zep, even though they played it great, really they just heard the blues and were like, oh shit that sounds good let's play that. Allmans, Skynyrd, SRV, they just didn't hear the blues one day and like it and decide to play it. The blues were a part of their upbringing, it was a part of their life. Them boys didn't even think like, let's put some blues in here. The blues were just in them from the start. It was a part of them. Just because they didn't crank out Muddy Waters rip offs every song don't mean shit either, Jimi didn't do that either. And I love Jimi and not trying to knock him, just saying that I believe it's possible for some of these cats to feel the blues too.

Do you consider Eminem hip hop, or just a white boy that can rap?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Len is right, everyone else is wrong.

Jimi played on the chitlin circuit, he was the real deal. Other people might play the blues, or be inspired by it, but it's not the same thing Allman brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others are southern rock, not the blues anyways. They are great, I'm not taking anything away from them, but something is lost in translation.

The closest ANYONE has come to being a true bluesman since Hendrix was Stevie Ray Vaughn. I might accept him, but not the Allman's.

sorry but not following your logic how SRV is more valid as a bluesman then the Allmans or Johhny  Winter for that matter