Jimi Hendrix

Snake-Pit

21 hours ago, PappyTron said:

Right, but the ones who are beasts on the guitar are the ones who have the genetic gift in the first place. The ones who don't have it have already fallen by the wayside, years ago. Also, the higher up in skill level you go, in anything, the more difficult each increment becomes, so that extra 5% in speed/accuracy/technique for the very best, might in effect require 100% more talent.

Personally I dont think much of the genetic factor. Studies show that if you start practising pre adolsence your body changes actually. Which means if you start to play guitar or football with 6 years your body will change and you will be better than you could have been if you had started later. There is a genetic element but it's not that important imo. I have never seen a guitarist starting with 20 years and becoming as good as Steve Vai because he had such great genes.  But I have seen many that were forced by their parents and that came pretty close. 

12 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

Personally I dont think much of the genetic factor. Studies show that if you start practising pre adolsence your body changes actually. Which means if you start to play guitar or football with 6 years your body will change and you will be better than you could have been if you had started later. There is a genetic element but it's not that important imo. I have never seen a guitarist starting with 20 years and becoming as good as Steve Vai because he had such great genes.  But I have seen many that were forced by their parents and that came pretty close. 

Well, all of the great guitarists say that they practiced for 5-10 hours a day, so time is definitely a factor. Shawn Lane though, stated that he had all of his techniques done by the age of 16 or so!

Playing at super high speed is, like all other thinks, easier for some people than others due to underlying factors. In the same way that not everyone can dunk a basketball, no matter how much they practice, not everyone can play super fast, and people that are "pretty close" to Vai because they are only a couple of beats a second behind, are actually pretty far off as at the thin edge of the wedge each tiny fraction of a difference is huge.