Anyone think of putting a "like" button on threads and their respones, similar to what facebook has?

Ace Nova

I find myself scrolling through numerous threads that I actually either like the topic or some of the responses but don't always necessarily have anything to say other that a worthless happy face icon - or some similar short response. A like button would solve that problem...and it would count the number of likes and show which members liked the thread or the responses. Any thoughts of this becoming a possibility?

• Like 2

I would vote no. It would turn into an annoying popularity contest.

How so? It would basically just streamline the forum and eliminate worthless one word or emicon responses.

I can tell you with certainty that I'd still reply to certain posts with "lol" and " :rofl-lol: ", so no, it wouldn't. :)

Edited by bacardimayne

How so? It would basically just streamline the forum and eliminate worthless one word or emicon responses.

It would just give people something else to whine about. "Oh so you don't agree with it, but it got four positive reps so that makes me right" type of thing.

I agree that it wouldn't eliminate one word responses. I would still post them if I felt the need.

Like BBA said, who cares if someone likes your posts? We already have a star rating system anyway. If someone is that over the moon happy about a post, just write a comment on their wall.

It would just give people something else to whine about. "Oh so you don't agree with it, but it got four positive reps so that makes me right" type of thing.

I agree that it wouldn't eliminate one word responses. I would still post them if I felt the need.

Like BBA said, who cares if someone likes your posts? We already have a star rating system anyway. If someone is that over the moon happy about a post, just write a comment on their wall.

I just gave you 5 stars. :hug:

and eliminate worthless one word or emicon responses.

Says who?

It can if you want it to. If you still would like to post a :) or lol you're more than free to do so.

I like it and use it on all my forums without any problems. I don't know if it would work here, though.

It's pretty standard nowadays.

Who cares if someone does or doesn't like your posts? Seems rather pointless, imo ...

Just a "like" button to help eliminate the :);) etc.

I can tell you with certainty that I'd still reply to certain posts with "lol" and " :rofl-lol: ", so no, it wouldn't. :)

And no one would stop you. ;)

Happens on other forums like this and works well - you can't dislike things, but it's positive for good posts.

Yep, like I said, pretty standard.

Positive rep system (aka a 'like' button) - maybe.

Negative rep system - 1000% never. We're too small a community for a negative rep system to ever work IMO.

Agreed....now get to it, HV ;)

It's not that the community's too small, it's that we're so divided. A negative rep system would just devolve into a pissing contest between Axl fans and Slash fans downvoting eachothers' posts.

It's small enough for one or two people to hijack the entire system with a few extra accounts.