New Manic Street Preachers song/album

Georgy Zhukov

Richey and Nicky went to university. I think Richey did politics and history. They kind of did the lyrics because they knew more and thats all they could do.

Then after uni started reading rock bios and out that the idea for GT was born. Shoegazing was the music scene in the UK and SAW pop. So the idea was where are all the heroes now. Oasis kind of stole this idea and combined with Stone Roses.

Although GT sounds like motely crue its really a deconstruction of rock n roll. Condemned to rock n roll. Thats the one i think they used session musicians.

Even on GATS. Nostalgic Pusshead is attack on Rolling Stone era, label execs.

Holy Bible is really where Richey took over lyrically. And if you listen long enough to Yes, Faster, Mausoleum, 4 st 7. His ideas are kind of like worshiping the things he hates. He ends up admiring anorexics, identifying with aushwitz prisoners, and is kind of likening the band to whores in a fatalistic way. I think he felt like he could visually and intellectually handle it. Then on EMG lyrically you can see he passed through it. Cutting himself and anorexia had become boring. Plague Lovers seems very much like from inside the asylum. William's last words are him saying goodbye. Bag Lady to me is like Richey on the run in defiance.

Richeys lyrics are a deep critique of western culture and rock n roll. Very iconoclastic.

Nicky is a lot more constructive and socially aware.

Prologue to History "or my former friend whos now undercover"

I think he jumped. He was listening to In Utero in his car. He left his passport on his bed and a copy of catcher in the rye.

The Manics biography written by Simon Price is a great book.

Richey did talk about the perfect disappearance. I mean its not impoosible. He could have lost his mind. He could have joined some homeless people. Had himself committed to mental institution. One fake passport and he could go anywhere.

I dont feel he could do that to his parenta or band.

The Manics biography written by Simon Price is a great book.

Yep. The Richey Edwards biography hardly adds anything to it.

Did you ever read that novel Richard? It's written from his perspective and jumps back and forth between the start of his disappearance (when they know he was still alive) and the early days of the band. It's really weird. I'm not sure what I expected from it but it's just odd. I'm not really sure why it exists.

James wrote the lyrics on his solo album which is worth a listen, in a similar kind of vein to SATT musically.

It was crazy watching the DVD with the Generation Terrorists reissue. I always forget James used to be this muscly little nutter. Now he's doing sitting down shows in Rough Trade playing Spectators of Suicide on an acoustic guitar with his lovely singing voice.

As much as I'll always love Richey and Richey era Manics James really is the lifeforce of the Manics.

When you take into account their 'marxist division of labour' and some of the mad things Nicky and Richey have written and said over the years James has really had to bring it vocally and musically to be able to carry their ridicuousness.

I actually enjoyed Postcards (Golden Platitudes is a beauty) but I'm pleased they've gotten over their 'one last shot at mass communication' thing and gone back to Manics being Manics.

James is very humble. I thinks its becos they grew up together. I think James may have just wanted to play guitar, he really just wants to serve the song.

Is the book called Richard? i saw a couple of docs on tv. Ill look for the book on kindle.

Rewind the Film seem like another This is my Truth. Very rooted in Wales. Im up for the one they finished off in Berlin, krautrock Holy Bible. But I wonder if they have any Richey lyrics left.

I need to get their solo records.

James never aspired to writing lyrics until later on when he felt he has experienced enough to express aspects of his personal life into song. Ocean Spray was about his mother dying from cancer. He also wrote I Think I Found It.

I manged to get Nicky's solo album. I have James' shipping from the U.K. which is very hard to find.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

Do you think it'll be a James solo effort live (like Some Kind of Nothingness) or do you think Nicky might take over? James seemed so uncomfortable doing Richard Nixon live I can't imagine he'd be looking forward to singing the lower bits of Rewind The Film.

It's not the first proper single really so maybe it won't become much of a live staple. I'm guessing because these first few gigs are pretty small they'll be new album heavy so maybe they'll have a bunch of guest appearances.

It's a good sign if they're going to play a lot of the album live because it shows they've got faith in it. The shows where they played Journal in full were amazing. The live strings on This Joke Sport Severed were great. When Postcards came out it was completely different. They did Strictly but they hardly played any of the album live. At the National Treasures gig they didn't seem into the Postcards singles at all. It's that standard Manics thing of hype up an album and then trash it straight afterwards.

Quite a number of Postcards have backup singers. Not easy to do live I guess.

Postcards from a Young Man is one of the best rock songs I've heard in recent years.

I remember being put off by the lead single (It's Not War) Just the End of Love. I really like it now but they save the best songs for the album release. I think that will be the case for Rewind the Film.

Rewind isn't the first single from the album as I understand it.

If I remember correctly all the songs on Postcards came very easily they said, accept Postcards from a Young Man. They had to work at it to make a real Manics single.

Just wonder if they'll have a big Tolerate song on Rewind the Film. Show Me the Wonder could be it.

There's a lot of guest vocalists on Rewind. And no solos!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewind_the_Film

it seems designed for UK market. Manics with female vocalists.

I'm looking forward to Holy Bible 3 more.

Postcards is really easy to listen to. So is Life Blood. SATT is also has a nice warm sound.

But then when you want something a bit more rewarding there's Plague Lovers.

I think I've thought this is the last record since TIMTTMY.

I like the more melodic stuff and the more punk influenced albums.

I wish they'd have done Pantera meets Screamadelica like Richey planned after Holy Bible.

James says it won't be as crazy as The Holy Bible but in the lead song he sings half of it in German.

:lol:

My money's on some Sean trumpet on one of these records.

I go back and forth on This is my Truth. Sometimes it seems like a dream and sometimes it feels a bit plodding and dull.

This version of Ready For Drowning is fantastic

Edited by Chinaski