Has Axl not put out a live DVD/CD because Slash would get royalties?

TheSeeker

Something to think about after reading this article:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/is-it-really-possible-to-retire-off-royalties-from-one-hit-song/

Songwriters receive royalties every time their song receives airplay, is sold, or is played publicly en masse (football stadium, advertisement, etc.).

All the royalties from Chinese Democracy went towards Axl and the members of NewGNR who crafted the songs.

Has Axl maybe not released any live performances of the new band on CD/iTunes/DVD/Blu Ray/Television because he doesn't want Slash and the other former members to receive songwriting royalties that they would be owed from NewGNR playing their songs?

Is this why the Vegas 2001 DVD was cancelled?

Is this why the 2006 Harley Davidson ad with "Paradise City" was never broadcast?

Is this why the London 2012 VH1 and Palladia broadcast was cancelled?

Is this why the Vegas 2012 DVD looks likely to never show up in stores?

Is this why we rarely hear GNR songs used in advertising?

Guest charlie555

Something to think about after reading this article:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/is-it-really-possible-to-retire-off-royalties-from-one-hit-song/

Songwriters receive royalties every time their song receives airplay, is sold, or is played publicly en masse (football stadium, advertisement, etc.).

All the royalties from Chinese Democracy went towards Axl and the members of NewGNR who crafted the songs.

Has Axl maybe not released any live performances of the new band on CD/iTunes/DVD/Blu Ray/Television because he doesn't want Slash and the other former members to receive songwriting royalties that they would be owed from NewGNR playing their songs?

Is this why the Vegas 2001 DVD was cancelled?

Is this why the 2006 Harley Davidson ad with "Paradise City" was never broadcast?

Is this why the London 2012 VH1 and Palladia broadcast was cancelled?

Is this why the Vegas 2012 DVD looks likely to never show up in stores?

Is this why we rarely hear GNR songs used in advertising?

No.

GnR classics are approved and used all the time in movies etc. See Tom Cruise's Rock of Ages as an example of Paradise City being used.

The 2012 releases have not been made because the current management team are inept and have no background in commercial activity.

Guns n' Roses material is on soundtracks to major movies on a regular basis. That surely makes more money than a DVD would. I think Axl gets the most royalties and also makes the call on what is licensed out.

You should pay me royalties for stealing my screen name and using it to make really dumb threads.

No, as, when Slash released Live in Stoke Axl gained royalties, and when Axl chose to play Rock and Rio 3 and 4, Slash gained broadcasting royalties.

I think Axl gets the most royalties and also makes the call on what is licensed out.

That is bullshit.

It's not technically true, but there's an element of truth to it. With this band now GH packages or classic songs are tainted. The one thing positive about the band is the current line up and possibility of a new record. If everything else is nostalgia.

No, as, when Slash released Live in Stoke Axl gained royalties, and when Axl chose to play Rock and Rio 3 and 4, Slash gained broadcasting royalties.

Right.

Let's say the new GNR Vegas DVD *does* get released.

It contains like 20 songs that Slash wrote/co-wrote and would get royalties for. For every DVD sold, Slash would get his songwriting royalty x 20 songs. That's a lot more than him getting royalties from just one song in a movie trailer or something.

I think Axl gets the most royalties and also makes the call on what is licensed out.

That is bullshit.

Well from what I've read the band worked out a complicated system to calculate writing credits for each song. Doesn't that play into how much royalties each member gets for the use of a given song? I also remember Mickey Rourke saying Axl gave him a good deal on the rights to use Sweet Child o' Mine in The Wrestler. Maybe he didn't really know how that deal was worked out, I don't know. Who makes the call then?

Slash co-wrote 9 of the 26 songs they played at that concert, not 20. Whatever Slash would make off of this DVD release would be much less than what he already makes from the previous GnR releases anyway. Can guarantee this is a non-factor.

And they did release the Harley commercial with Paradise City. The one with Better was the one that got shelved.

So Axl decided to record a live DVD/CD in 2001, 2006 and twice in 2012 and when it was ready for release he suddenly remembered those damn royalties? Doesn't sound right.

By the way, when GN'R has been streaming shows, do they have to pay all the original members for that too? Or when they played Jungle and Paradise on MTV in '02?

My theory is that they keep touring and it's played a part in holding back from releasing a home video of the concert.

There's bands that haven't put out concert videos, they're not known for being big sellers, same reason why most retail video stores and rentals had a small concert/music video section. Van Halen's never put out a concert with Roth. Tool's never released a concert video, either.

If Axl was hellbent against Slash getting royalties, he would've put way more new music out and maybe just saved the old songs for encores.

If Axl was hellbent against Slash getting royalties, he would've put way more new music out and maybe just saved the old songs for encores.

According to Slash, all the original members can play all the material live without paying royalties etc. But it's different when releasing for instance a DVD.

Guest charlie555

Right.

Let's say the new GNR Vegas DVD *does* get released.

It contains like 20 songs that Slash wrote/co-wrote and would get royalties for. For every DVD sold, Slash would get his songwriting royalty x 20 songs. That's a lot more than him getting royalties from just one song in a movie trailer or something.

No because the royalty rates are not the same - one song in a movie trailer has far more coverage than a GnR Live DVD and is priced accordingly.

Regardless, you are all assuming that Axl, Slash and Duff still own the rights? Most of GnR's rights are owned by Black Frog Music which is a bare trustee for a complicated trust setup that apportions royalties to the owners of the rights, with a small proportion going to the original members. Of $1.5million in fees GnR members (Past and Axl) would receive very little IMO.

So Axl decided to record a live DVD/CD in 2001, 2006 and twice in 2012 and when it was ready for release he suddenly remembered those damn royalties? Doesn't sound right.

By the way, when GN'R has been streaming shows, do they have to pay all the original members for that too? Or when they played Jungle and Paradise on MTV in '02?

Usually bands will enter into what is called an EUR Agreement (Existing Use Right - there are various names for it) which allows anybody credited with creating the song to perform and re-release it. This can only be done under their own name though (So Slash couldn't release a GnR Greatest Hits with Myles singing on it and call it a GnR CD). Most EUR's (at least the standard precedent Universal uses) guarantee that songwriters can at least perform the material, and many include a provision for that performance to be recorded and released with nothing payable to the owner of the rights.

I think the real reason Axl never released a live DVD was because he wasn't satisfied with his vocals. Can't say I blame him. We got Bridgeschool and Rock In Rio 2011 to enjoy until he actually releases something :)

I think the real reason Axl never released a live DVD was because he wasn't satisfied with his vocals. Can't say I blame him. We got Bridgeschool and Rock In Rio 2011 to enjoy until he actually releases something :)

This :D