Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

• 3 weeks later...

The Batman v Superman title is starting to grow on me. I hated it at first, but from a marketing/recognition standpoint having both their names mounted like that makes perfect sense. I can see all the "Pick a side" posters now.

Also, as a DC fan, the aspect of my two favorite superheroes going toe to toe in the same movie is just too damn exciting to put into words. Psyched.

• Like 1

I wonder if Lex Luthor will be the only villain on the movie. A more "human" touch this time wouldn't bother me, after Zod on MoS. But I also want to see Superman using his powers to the fullest, which would destroy Batman and Lex with no effort and that wouldn't work. 2 years to find out... :(

Not necessarily. Batman's advantage against Superman is that Superman is sort of an idiot and a government crony. Batman's intelligence is pretty much what enables him to beat Superman and any other of the Justice League, such as the Tower of Babel storyline as well as the Dark Knight Returns. Plus every episode of the JLA animated series Batman saves everyone's ass constantly.

I gotta disagree that Superman's disadvantage in a fight with Batman is that he's an "idiot". In fact, pretty much every time Batman has gotten the upper hand, it's because Superman has somehow held back during the fight. Most notably, in the TDKR, when he tells Batman that the idea of them fighting is "idiotic" and repeatedly tries to talk Bats down. If Superman really wanted to beat Batman, he could simply fry him with his heat vision from Earth's orbit.

I've heard it said that if Superman truly "beat" Batman, then he would cease to be Superman, as Batman would be dead in a matter of seconds, and that is not what Superman does. Even when Superman killed Zod, his physical match, at the end of MOS, it was only after a horriffic battle that culminated with Zod forcing him to make an impossible decision. Whereas Batman can give his all and use his abilities as a detective and scientist to humble Superman, because he is a mortal, making him the consumate underdog in the fight. The day Superman gives his all, it'd be a one panel fight in the comic, and wouldn't be remotely interesting.

That said, Chris Terrio is an amazing writer, and won the friggin' Oscar for Argo. I have a feeling that the politics behind why these two end up at odds is going to be very interesting. And I have a feeling that the inevitable "fight" between these two may not be exactly what we are all expecting.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

I wonder if Lex Luthor will be the only villain on the movie. A more "human" touch this time wouldn't bother me, after Zod on MoS. But I also want to see Superman using his powers to the fullest, which would destroy Batman and Lex with no effort and that wouldn't work. 2 years to find out... :(

Not necessarily. Batman's advantage against Superman is that Superman is sort of an idiot and a government crony. Batman's intelligence is pretty much what enables him to beat Superman and any other of the Justice League, such as the Tower of Babel storyline as well as the Dark Knight Returns. Plus every episode of the JLA animated series Batman saves everyone's ass constantly.

I gotta disagree that Superman's disadvantage in a fight with Batman is that he's an "idiot". In fact, pretty much every time Batman has gotten the upper hand, it's because Superman has somehow held back during the fight. Most notably, in the TDKR, when he tells Batman that the idea of them fighting is "idiotic" and repeatedly tries to talk Bats down. If Superman really wanted to beat Batman, he could simply fry him with his heat vision from Earth's orbit.

I've heard it it said that if Superman truly "beat" Batman, then he would cease to be Superman, as Batman would be dead in a matter of seconds, and that is not what Superman does. Even when Superman killed Zod, his physical match, at the end of MOS, it was only after a horriffic battle that culminated with Zod forcing him to make an impossible decision. Whereas Batman can give his all and use his abilities as a detective and scientist to humble Superman, because he is a mortal, making him the consumate underdog in the fight. The day Superman gives his all, it'd be a one panel fight in the comic, and wouldn't be remotely interesting.

That said, Chris Terrio is an amazing writer, and won the friggin' Oscar for Argo. I have a feeling that the politics behind why these two end up at odds is going to be very interesting. And I have a feeling that the inevitable "fight" between these two may not be exactly what we are all expecting.

Great post!

• Like 1

The Justice League movie will now be released in May 2017 (13 months earlier than originally planned)

This will be followed by a Wonder Woman spin-off slated for July 2017 and a Green Lantern/ Flash team-up film, set for X-Mas 2017

There is also another Superman film in the pipeline set for June 2018 which for now is being addressed as Man of Steel 2

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/justice-league-movie-to-hit-may-2017-wonder-woman-green-lantern-flash-crossover-coming-same-year-20140612

The Justice League movie will now be released in May 2017 (13 months earlier than originally planned)

This will be followed by a Wonder Woman spin-off slated for July 2017 and a Green Lantern/ Flash team-up film, set for X-Mas 2017

There is also another Superman film in the pipeline set for June 2018 which for now is being addressed as Man of Steel 2

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/justice-league-movie-to-hit-may-2017-wonder-woman-green-lantern-flash-crossover-coming-same-year-20140612

I'm surprised by the news of Man of Steel 2, I just assumed this Batman vs Superman was that film. I mean, are they gonna make a Batman vs Superman 2 after the Justice League film? The branding is confusing, I don't think they could call a film Man of Steel 2 now.

I'm surprised by the news of Man of Steel 2, I just assumed this Batman vs Superman was that film. I mean, are they gonna make a Batman vs Superman 2 after the Justice League film? The branding is confusing, I don't think they could call a film Man of Steel 2 now.

yeah I think it's just a working title until they can come up with something more marketable like Superman: Rise of (whatever)

yeah I think it's just a working title until they can come up with something more marketable like Superman: Rise of (whatever)

There's even a "Rise of the Tomb Raider" now.

The Batman v Superman title is starting to grow on me. I hated it at first, but from a marketing/recognition standpoint having both their names mounted like that makes perfect sense. I can see all the "Pick a side" posters now.

Also, as a DC fan, the aspect of my two favorite superheroes going toe to toe in the same movie is just too damn exciting to put into words. Psyched.

You know most people will side with Batman.

I think the writer to that blog, messed up. This is the sequel to Man Of Steel.
  • Like 1

I think they just put "Man of Steel 2" because it's going to be a standalone Superman flick that's currently untitled, as Batman v Superman is technically the direct sequel to Man of Steel. I highly doubt the official title of the next standalone Superman movie in 2018/19 will be "Man of Steel 2".

Also, after Affleck shoots BvS & Justice League, he has a couple other projects lined up. I would be willing to wager that we'll see a standalone Batman film in 2019, a couple years after Justice League drops, with Affleck both starring and directing.

What did everyone actually think of Man of Steel?

Watched it today and thought it was pretty decent. Hated all the other Superman films.

Everything about this upcoming film sounds terrible, but hopefully Synder can pull it off. I've liked the majority of his stuff.

I like Man of Steel better than Superman Returns and I didn't mind Superman Returns.

Watched it today and thought it was pretty decent. Hated all the other Superman films.

Everything about this upcoming film sounds terrible, but hopefully Synder can pull it off. I've liked the majority of his stuff.

I like Man of Steel better than Superman Returns and I didn't mind Superman Returns.

I like Returns much better. It was corny but at least it stayed true to the character that Superman was. Yes, the dead-beat dad thing was stupid, but he didn't know he knocked up Lane.

Man of Steel was nothing but sexism and meat-head violence

I like Returns much better. It was corny but at least it stayed true to the character that Superman was. Yes, the dead-beat dad thing was stupid, but he didn't know he knocked up Lane.

But Russell Crowe though...

But Russell Crowe though...

true, he was awesome. He was one of the few redeeming qualities of that film

MOS was great. Always wanted to see Superman doing more than saving people/the world. Fights were over the top as they should be. Russel Crowe and Krypton deserved a film of their own...

Agreed, I loved MOS. Definitely the best Superman flick since Superman II.

For some reason, Superman has the hardest time universally pleasing audiences. When Superman Returns came out in 2006, although it was received well with critics, fans cried to high heaven about how boring it was and that Superman didn't fight anyone or that there wasn't enough action. MOS comes out 7 years later, does well, yet a vocal minority still moaned about how there was TOO MUCH action and destruction. No other superhero faces the kind of scrutiny that poor Supes does. Maybe since he's the first?

He's such a universally recognized and revered character, these days it's almost like putting out a Superman movie is on par with doing a movie about Jesus Christ. Everyone has their own personal idea about who he is and what he should stand for, it's easy to piss a lot of people off. Man of Steel proved that in spades.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2

MOS was great. Always wanted to see Superman doing more than saving people/the world. Fights were over the top as they should be. Russel Crowe and Krypton deserved a film of their own...

Agreed, I loved MOS. Definitely the best Superman flick since Superman II.

For some reason, Superman has the hardest time universally pleasing audiences. When Superman Returns came out in 2006, although it was received well with critics, fans cried to high heaven about how boring it was and that Superman didn't fight anyone or that there wasn't enough action. MOS comes out 7 years later, does well, yet a vocal minority still moaned about how there was TOO MUCH action and destruction. No other superhero faces the kind of scrutiny that poor Supes does. Maybe since he's the first?

He's such a universally recognized and revered character, these days it's almost like putting out a Superman movie is on par with doing a movie about Jesus Christ. Everyone has their own personal idea about who he is and what he should stand for, it's easy to piss a lot of people off. Man of Steel proved that in spades.

You speak the truth. I liked both Returns and Man of Steel, ultimately I think I prefered MOS. For me the problem was not the destruction per se, it was the fact that nobody seemed to care? We see one brave cop in Metropolis trying to lead people to safety but that's it. When the army finds out about the world engine they don't start an evacuation of the city, they start looking up the etymology of the word 'terraforming.' Everybody (including Supes himself) is just a little bit too nonchalant about the catastrophe which is unfolding around them

• Like 1