Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

What I liked: The acting, the subplot with the microchip thing, the fact that there wasn't as much destruction as in man of steel and how the heroes seemed like they were making an effort (at times) to try to avoid that, and (most of all) Wonder Woman and her music. Seeing the trinity work together was also pretty cool.

What I didn't like: Bruce's nightmares, the Justice League tie-in, Doomsday and everything that results from his appearance, the fact that Luthor is basically written to be like the Joker, the pacing, the fact that the actual "vs" part is so brief and barely ties into the story, the North Africa subplot that goes nowhere, the Netropolis destruction subplot from the last film still not really being resolved, the fact that it was edited like a comic book, and (most of all) the fact that the heroes kill a bunch of people and let many others die around them without seeming like they give a shit. 

So overall, it's not really a terrible movie like everyone is saying, but rather a film that shows lots of potential but then crumbles itself under too many subplots. I give it a 2.5/5

im no longer excited for the other DC films, as I feel like Snyder ruined all their origins in a tasteless and not-classy manner. Fuck that dude and his seemingly constant desire to appear "macho."

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

What I liked: The acting, the subplot with the microchip thing, the fact that there wasn't as much destruction as in man of steel and how the heroes seemed like they were making an effort (at times) to try to avoid that, and (most of all) Wonder Woman and her music. Seeing the trinity work together was also pretty cool.

What I didn't like: Bruce's nightmares, the Justice League tie-in, Doomsday and everything that results from his appearance, the fact that Luthor is basically written to be like the Joker, the pacing, the fact that the actual "vs" part is so brief and barely ties into the story, the North Africa subplot that goes nowhere, the Netropolis destruction subplot from the last film still not really being resolved, the fact that it was edited like a comic book, and (most of all) the fact that the heroes kill a bunch of people and let many others die around them without seeming like they give a shit. 

So overall, it's not really a terrible movie like everyone is saying, but rather a film that shows lots of potential but then crumbles itself under too many subplots. I give it a 2.5/5

im no longer excited for the other DC films, as I feel like Snyder ruined all their origins in a tasteless and not-classy manner. Fuck that dude and his seemingly constant desire to appear "macho."

Completely agree. It's not awful but it's not great. All the reasons you listed are exactly why.

• Like 1

Not great, not bad, it was good. The first half was a bit of slow go. If they tightened that up it had the chance to be great. Ben was better than expected as Bats. I hated how they did Lex at first but by the end of the movie I was digging him. So, it was just good. Not on par with the Dark Knight stuff, but it wasn't terrible or anything. I feel like I need to watch it again.

I'd go see a Wonder Woman movie in a second. Buy my ticket tomorrow.

SPOILERS...

Lex gains control of the alien ship mainframe.

"This ship contains knowledge from 100,000 worlds."

Lex: "Show me how to make a mindless monster to beat up Superman, because my ingenious plot to have Batman hate Superman isn't ingenious enough for me. 'Murica!"

You know, if I was Superman, and someone had kidnapped my mother, it would go something like this:

"Ok Lex, I'm going to start by slowly, VERY slowly, pulling off your testicles until you contact your goons and get a location for my mother..."

Yeah, this movie was way overblown. Not one scene of Alfred confronting Bruce about making a suit and weapons with the sole purpose of killing another being.

Weaponized plane and car. Sigh...

The senator (who I actually thought was Margot Kidder at first!) was an interesting character. Superman is as dumb as a rock. Batman and Affleck were great. The dream sequences were useless. It would have been much more interesting if Desrt Batman was actually in the movie on some other mission. It was a great look for Batman.

Christopher Reeve's Superman was concerned about collateral damage to the humans around him. Imagine Reeve's Superman in the courtroom. He'd be devastated after the blast. This Superman...  "...bummer..."

Edited by MrPoe

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Ok. After hearing a lot of bad things about this flcik and sad Affleck memes, I gotta ask: is it that bad?

Well don't get your hopes up, the movie is just ok, as I said before the first half is very slow and boring and as everyone said those dream sequences are totally USELESS. 

I would say the last 20 mins are pretty good.

But over all I din't find the movie that good, it was just ok, Im a very big batman fan and I was waiting for this since a long time, I am a bigger fan of Batman than Star Wars and when I saw Star Wars, I was like man this is just awesome. But after seeing this movie, I was like mehhh.

But well I am looking forward to the Wonder Women movie, I hope the Justice league movie won't suck. 

2 hours ago, maynard said:

R-rated version coming to blu-ray with extra scenes like this one. :)

I'm really enjoying the DCU dark tone and can't wait for Justice League. I have a feeling WW will also be a very interesting movie.

What's R rated about that? 

Spoilers alert!

Mediocre at best.  Absolute horrid dialogue.  Amy Adams' character was absolutely useless.

I did love the cinematography and I hate to say it but Wonder Woman was the best part of the movie.  She looked more badass than dumbass "where is she?!" Superman.  Doomsday lasted 5 minutes, which is the same fucking problem a terrible flop, absolutely boring movie like Fantastic Four had.  While Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is not in the same level of bad, it seemed rushed at times with no real direction other than a lackluster plot overall.  To begin with, that was a terribly awful way to introduce new, future characters like Cyborg, Flash and Aquaman.

I don't agree with the "why so serious?" motion that critics have voiced since the release of the movie.  I loved the dark tone, it is how it was supposed to be done, but the script was terrible.  If you're going to make a dark, "serious" comic-based movie, then you need brilliant script, otherwise it turns into a boring fest.  I mean, we already know Superman loves Lois.  Stop wasting time pointing that out in the movie.

I liked Eisenberg's character but I did remind me of the Joker a lot.   Less psychotic and maniac should have been better for his role.

Anyways, it was a disappointing movie.  I'm looking forward to Wonder Woman movie and Suicide Squad.  I think Gal Gadot's movie will kick ass.  Her character was gorgeous.

I'll give it 6/10.

• Like 1

It wasn't dark though, it was just dull! And yes Superman was the dunce of the class. He has X-ray vision and super hearing yet he didn't notice the bomb hidden in the guy's wheelchair, "uhh, I wasn't looking for it Lois......" They could have explained that it was hidden under lead and his vision couldnt penetrate it, but no, he didnt spot it because he is a dumbass.

Then Lex tells him he has kidnapped his mother, at which point does he grab Lex by the balls and fly him to the edge of space and tell him, "you have 5 seconds to tell me where she is before I throw you into the sun", or even simply scan the whole city from up high USING THE X-RAY VISION THAT HE HAS... no he does neither of those things and instead agrees to go along with Lex's plan

So then he has his fight with Bats who hits him with a Kryptonite grenade, nice touch there, not something we've seen before on film. You can forgive Superman for getting hit the first time as he had no way of knowing about Kryptonite and its effect on him, but when it starts to wear off he lets Batman hit him with it again!!

Disappointed. Lots of plot holes, and the first 1 1/2 hour was boring as Hell. I mean, I can watch a movie with all conversations, but this is just dragging and dull. One bloated mess. The Martha scene, I know they are trying to portray that Bats found out Supes got a human heart afterall, etc., but man, did they execute it badly. The writing is so bad.

Affleck is a great Wayne/Batman, so theres that. I was hoping this will be good cuz Im a comic book fan. 4/10 for me. 

On 27 March 2016 at 0:37 AM, Chewbacca said:

Ok. After hearing a lot of bad things about this flcik and sad Affleck memes, I gotta ask: is it that bad?

No. It's just not that much fun.

It's like The Revenant of Batman movies.

There's a lot cool cinematography.

I could watch it again and I hate superhero movies. It has this existential dark vibe, a dejected world view like we fight each other as evil takes over. 

I liked it.

Obvious a lot was cut out, I look forward to the extended cut, but what was there I enjoyed. The Justice League stuff was lost on me since I grew up a Marvel kid but I liked the meat of the story. I dug Eisenberg's Luthor, especially knowing it was based on Max Landis.

Nolan's TDK films are some of my favourite films ever, and while this wasn't as good, I much preferred BvS to Man of Steel, which I saw once and have no desire to ever see again. I felt it was much better than Watchmen, there was still a bit too much slo-mo in some of the Bruce Wayne flashback scenes, but I actually would have liked some 300 style slo-mo + ramping up in the Batman fight scenes.

It's a weird time to be alive. An R-rated Deadpool, Batman v Superman, Civil War, X-Men Apocalypse... none of these would have even be considered by movie producers as viable material even a decade ago (BvS was a concept for years but not in its current form).

Apart from the first teaser I avoided all trailers for this, and when the trailer for Civil War came on before this I closed my eyes and put my fingers in my ears. I also avoided all trailers for Deadpool. I think that really helps with managing expectations and not being spoiled on a lot of scenes before seeing a film.

• Like 1