GNR Article on ESPN Grantland - Building a Better Democracy

guitarpatch

"For years, it was widely assumed Chinese Democracy would never come out; in retrospect, the delay is all anybody cares about."

Sums up the CD experience pretty well.

for the most ppl yes, but i really never care about the delay. Maybe i'm from a decade when you must wait for the good shit. Now is every "artists" is releasing new music every day, mostly shitty music just to pay the bills.

I know the next thing is "CD is shit", ok, i respect different opinions, if they are truthful.

Guest Manny Manner

This article overlooks the most valid aspects of Chinese Democracy and mostly looks at the album from a business perspective.

Is there really anything in that article that the GNR community can take away as valuable? A couple of stories we've heard countless times before and an ultimate 'lesson' that Axl should have sold out to preconcieved ideas of what GNR should sound like.

"Let's make the record that the majority of our potential listeners will enjoy."

Piss off, seriously. That's why the current music industry is so shitty. They conciously make music which doesn't flow from their sense of artistry, but is designed to make the greatest amount of capital. Essentially what this journalist is advocating is that Axl stay away from unique musicians like Buckethead and Robin Finck in favour of making an Appetite 2 with Dj ASHBA. That is not a praiseworthy position.

Edited by NGOG

Exactly, but then again we have those ppl, the majority, wanting the same shit over n over again, like AC/DC n Aerosmith.

Art is bad for business.

Axl should never, ever cater to those people musically. Anybody that advocates the contents of that article are hypocrites because they so vehemently oppose Dj ASHBA on a day to day basis. Yet, a major recommendation of that piece is that Axl shouldn't attempt to conquer new ground musically but instead become an inferior parody of a former GNR. Essentially he's suggesting Axl manifest the current way of touring into GNR's entire approach.

Exactly, but then again we have those ppl, the majority, wanting the same shit over n over again, like AC/DC n Aerosmith.

Art is bad for business.

Axl should never, ever cater to those people musically. Anybody that advocates the contents of that article are hypocrites because they so vehemently oppose Dj ASHBA on a day to day basis. Yet, a major recommendation of that piece is that Axl shouldn't attempt to conquer new ground musically but instead become an inferior parody of a former GNR. Essentially he's suggesting Axl manifest the current way of touring into GNR's entire approach.

Agreed

Guest Manny Manner

Art is bad for business

Finally, a bit of insight on this forum.

The songs don't sound finished.What?

Scraped.

What would finish it off for you?

Nothing in terms of actual songwriting. It's just the production - blips between vocals - sounds very cut and paste. I certainly hope it wasn't intentional, because it doesn't sound very good.

If I'm the only one that noticed it, I'll just sit down over there....

Naw, there was a lengthy discussion about that when the album came out. Some people were surprised at such an obvious cut & paste, others arguing it was intentional.

Right, I definitely remember that....either way, it's not a song I'm in a big rush to listen to.

Great article.

Can you point out what makes this a 'great' article? Is it the pretty language? His first bit of advice is that Axl shouldn't have allowed the hysteria which surrounded Chinese Democracy to detract from the real purpose of the process, the music. What the writer ignores is that it wasn't Axl who created and perpetuated such wild stories in order to garner an interest; it was people like Tom Zutaut.

He then goes onto say that Axl should have made a record more akin to what people percieve as GNR. Rather than attempting to reinvent GNR or make something remotely interesting, he advocates that Axl become a parody of a place which is now long gone. The writer recommends that Axl re-make a prior record with a slight spin or guise to make it seem 'new'. I personally would rather Axl exercise his sense of artistry and it completely go over the heads of the mainstream public than totally surpress his sense of artistry and make the record that everybody wants. I would rather he commerically fail and get eaten by the press for trying than to get on the cover of every single magazine by becoming an AC/DC churning out the same 'cock rock' record every so often.

Is there really anything in that article that the GNR community can take away as valuable? A couple of stories we've heard countless times before and an ultimate 'lesson' that Axl should have sold out to preconcieved ideas of what GNR should sound like.

"Let's make the record that the majority of our potential listeners will enjoy."

Piss off, seriously. That's why the current music industry is so shitty. They conciously make music which doesn't flow from their sense of artistry, but is designed to make the greatest amount of capital. Essentially what this journalist is advocating is that Axl stay away from unique musicians like Buckethead and Robin Finck in favour of making an Appetite 2 with Dj ASHBA. That is not a praiseworthy position.

This.

The result of this writers ideas are shit like Fallout Boy and Panic at the Disco LMAO!!

Great article.

Can you point out what makes this a 'great' article? Is it the pretty language? His first bit of advice is that Axl shouldn't have allowed the hysteria which surrounded Chinese Democracy to detract from the real purpose of the process, the music. What the writer ignores is that it wasn't Axl who created and perpetuated such wild stories in order to garner an interest; it was people like Tom Zutaut.

He then goes onto say that Axl should have made a record more akin to what people percieve as GNR. Rather than attempting to reinvent GNR or make something remotely interesting, he advocates that Axl become a parody of a place which is now long gone. The writer recommends that Axl re-make a prior record with a slight spin or guise to make it seem 'new'. I personally would rather Axl exercise his sense of artistry and it completely go over the heads of the mainstream public than totally surpress his sense of artistry and make the record that everybody wants. I would rather he commerically fail and get eaten by the press for trying than to get on the cover of every single magazine by becoming an AC/DC churning out the same 'cock rock' record every so often.

This again.