Roger Waters-The Wall Live Film (w/ Russ' review)

ohlovelyrita

Guest Len B'stard

Well bung a star of david on it and the immediate associations are not Orwellian I'm afraid.

The associations are clear when put into the context of everything else Roger Waters has expressed through the years, things that his fans - the audience of his show - are aware of. As for everyone else who is not aware of the context, well, you can't expect everyone everywhere in the world at every point to 'get' you and everything you say. Who cares?

Yeah but when you engage in a protest of this sort more people are exposed to it than just your audience. And quite frankly, that seems to be to be a bit of an arrogant and insensitive approach on the part of someone who allegedly is trying to make a humanitarian point. What you are effectively saying is that there's a good chance that he knew the potential of offence but didn't give a toss because, despite the obviously offensive connotations, he could always hide behind 'well anyone that knows my work that the pig symbolises X thing'. Which is fine, you can do that but don't piss and moan about the backlash when it comes, surely the idea of protest is that its designed in a way that the majority get it so it's a bit of a cocksuck to then insinuate that it was just meant for Pink Floyd fans to get.

Thats sort of like me burning the American flag and then when everyone gets in a flap about it turning around and going 'ugh, dummies, what i actually meant to do there was cleanse it through fire, my friends and family who know me and know that i like Rastafari culture will understand the connotations of and the correlation between fire and burning and cleansing...and i don't give a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks, i mean everyone can't get everything, can they?'

I might fuckin' get it when some mental yanks sticks a blade in my throat though eh? This is serious stuff that people take serious offence over and has serious repercussions, it's not some bullshit arty farty explanation of some silly album, people are dying over there in Israel, on both sides, whatcha mean 'who cares?', you go out of your way to make a statement...but don't care whether its not understood correctly? That makes sense.

Edited by sugaraylen

No ones saying you cant use it, just dont stick it on a pig unless you wanna insult the entire Jewish race.

How is it an abuse? Its an abuse in the same way as taking a shit on it is abuse. In the muslim and Jewish religion it is the highest insult you can possibly give to a thing or a person by aligning it with swine.

What's the craic with all that anyway? I mean what's wrong with pigs?

I believe it comes from them being considered unclean. Also something to do with split hooves and chewing and swallowing cud, i forget.

Its really a huge thing though, like a massive thing and like, one of the most cutting ways you can offend a jew or a muslim.

Pigs are remarkably one of the cleanest animals. Much cleaner than dogs and often more intelligent than dogs, so I really wonder where the perceptions came from?
Dogs ain't kosher neither. Its something to do with being a ruminant and the way they chew and digest food and something to do with how or whether they spit cud out or something, i cant exactly remember.
I'll help you out, Len.

Any animal which chews the cud and has a cloven hoof is ritually clean, but animals that only chew the cud or only have cloven hooves are not.[

Edited by TygerStryke

You know animals that be chewin'? It's what they be chewin'. :lol:

So you're saying that any animal that eats my best sweater and the arms of the couch are on the Jewish shitlist? Well that makes a lot more sense; I never liked the bastards either! :lol:

• 2 months later...

pink floyd are one of the best bands period. that is all.

Agreed and one of the most influential.

Roger Water's fruitful search: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2452473/Pink-Floyd-star-Roger-Waters-soldier-fathers-final-hours-WW2-revealed-dramatic-dispatches.html

That was a good read. This is one of the hardest Floyd songs for me to listen to because of what happened with Roger's dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfwwlEcowk

• 1 month later...

I've loved the album Amused To Death from day 1 but over the years I go through spurts where I fall in love with it all over again. I'm currently going through one of those times.

Anyone else dig this record?

Ashamed to admit I don't own it. I'm listening to the album now.

Beautiful, etheral music. Thanks!

• Like 1

I've loved the album Amused To Death from day 1 but over the years I go through spurts where I fall in love with it all over again. I'm currently going through one of those times.

Glad I could help! It's a very, VERY heavy album and I say that knowing that Waters wrote stuff like Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut.

Glad I could help! It's a very, VERY heavy album and I say that knowing that Waters wrote stuff like Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut.

I was thinking it was sounding like The Wall. Is it very Final Cut and the rest you said but it is also

strangely whimsical. The way he was singing with such emotion and his voice was dropping off was intense.

I'm guessing it is wayy to political (religious) to ever have been a Pink Floyd album at any point. I really love Waters but

his tempo is faster and seems more wordy than when he is in Floyd so not sure it's gonna be a favourite but is worth

owning!

I was thinking it was sounding like The Wall. Is it very Final Cut and the rest you said but it is also

strangely whimsical. The way he was singing with such emotion and his voice was dropping off was intense.

I'm guessing it is wayy to political (religious) to ever have been a Pink Floyd album at any point. I really love Waters but

his tempo is faster and seems more wordy than when he is in Floyd so not sure it's gonna be a favourite but is worth

owning!

Glad to hear you're digging it. It's very easy to come across on CD and it's well worth owning. As I said before, it's a really heavy concept but it's worth a listen. It never got much attention for a myriad of reasons one of which is that MTV banned the initial single, What God Wants Part I from ever airing.

owning!

Glad to hear you're digging it. It's very easy to come across on CD and it's well worth owning. As I said before, it's a really heavy concept but it's worth a listen. It never got much attention for a myriad of reasons one of which is that MTV banned the initial single, What God Wants Part I from ever airing.

I realized that I had heard that song. Maybe if he said Burger King french fries?! :P

I also was surprised to hear some sounds from Echoes!! Awesomeness! :heart:

First time I saw Rog' live Perfect Sense were the (completely unexpected) highlight of the show for me. Didn't even know the song before that gig. It was on his DSOTM tour, Arrow Rock Festival 2006. ^_^

So yeah, I really dig that record. His best solo effort imo.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

First time I saw Rog' live Perfect Sense were the (completely unexpected) highlight of the show for me. Didn't even know the song before that gig. It was on his DSOTM tour, Arrow Rock Festival 2006. ^_^

So yeah, I really dig that record. His best solo effort imo.

I'd pay a large amount of money to hear the whole album live. When I saw him live for the first time in 1999, he did a large chunk of it though. He did What God Wants Part I, Perfect Sense Parts I & II, The Bravery of Being Out of Range, It's A Miracle and Amused To Death. The whole show was awesome, but every ATD was amazing to hear live.

It's such a shame he hasn't recorded any album since Amused to Death. Has he ever given any reason for it?

I guess Ca Ira took a lot of his time. Both writing and performing it. And then there's the huge tours for DSOTM and The Wall which both lasted about 2 or 3 years. He did a few small releases though. The one for To Kill The Child and Leaving Beirut. And then there was that other movie song, Hello I Love You.

But I agree - I'd love to see him release another full-length album. Maybe he could have Dave or Nick make a guest appearance on a song too. :)

Didn't he at some time say he was working on 2 separate albums which both never materialized?

I also know there's a SACD for Amused To Death coming, as well as concert films for the recent DSOTM and The Wall tours.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

It's such a shame he hasn't recorded any album since Amused to Death. Has he ever given any reason for it?

He's given tons of reasons over the years, but honestly most of them just add up to "I don't feel like it".

He did finish and release his opera work Ca Ira a while back, but other than that he's just been touring on and off since 1999. He keeps saying he's got a ton of material written for one last album but he hasn't said anything about recording or releasing any of it for years.\

edit-

Was replying at the same time as username and forgot some of the one off tunes that he mentioned :)