When you say you want a GNR reunion, you really mean...

Guest NGOG

Axl-Rose-and-Slash-axl-rose-and-slash-15

Be honest about it. If there was some glorious formula to the classic line-up, why didn't you get off the GNR boat when Steven was fired, or when Izzy left? All the phrase 'GNR reunion' refers to is Axl and Slash being in the same line-up again. Even if Duff, Matt and Gilby didn't follow Slash out the door you would still be calling for Axl/Slash GNR. That's what it is in reality, an unyding yearn for Axl/Slash GNR, not any glorious 5 as you've kid yourselves into believing.

Edited by NGOG

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Manny Manner

Exactly. All this original/real GNR talk is a bunch of bs. If any of these people really believed in that they would have jumped ship when Steven was fired and/or definitely when Izzy left (especially since Izzy wrote more than anyone else aside from Axl and along with Axl was the only there when the band was actually named and formed). The magic formula for these people is:

1 bandana + 1 top hat = Real GNR

It's as simple as that.

Edited by Manny Manner

Guest Manny Manner

Exactly. All this original/real GNR talk is a bunch of bs. If any of these people really believed in that they would have jumped ship when Steven was fired and/or definitely when Izzy left (especially since Izzy wrote more than anyone else aside from Axl and along with Axl was the only there when the band was actually named and formed). The magic formula for these people is:

1 bandana + 1 top hat = Real GNR

It's as simple as that.

I agree!!!

Axl-Rose-and-Slash-axl-rose-and-slash-15

Be honest about it. If there was some glorious formula to the classic line-up, why didn't you get off the GNR boat when Steven was fired, or when Izzy left? All the phrase 'GNR reunion' refers to is Axl and Slash being in the same line-up again. Even if Duff, Matt and Gilby didn't follow Slash out the door you would still be calling for Axl/Slash GNR. That's what it is in reality, an unyding yearn for Axl/Slash GNR, not any glorious 5 as you've kid yourselves into believing.

Agreed. Axl's voice was made for Slash's guitar. Slash's guitar was made for Axl's voice.

Axl at least needs BOTH (not just one or the other) Izzy AND Slash back to make a proper GNR record/reunion. They're just much too important not to have on board. As much as I love Duff, Steven, and even Matt, at the end of the day he could have carried on without them with success.

Along with Axl, Izzy and Slash were the most essential ingredients as to what made Gnr Gnr. Izzy compliments Axl well as a songwriter, and compliments Slash more so than any other guitarist Slash has worked with. Even when it comes to just fleshing out guitar parts. And Slash is way too important to the actual sound of the band not to have around. He was always great at elevating Axl's and/or Izzy's song writing, and no guitarist Axl has worked with since has been as skilled complimenting Axl's moody emotional lyrics and voice like Slash's moody, emotional guitar passages.

If he even just dropped Bumble and Ashba, brought back Slash and Izzy, and for good measure, replaced Ferrer with just about any other drummer, it would be Gnr to me, and probably the masses again.

Edited by Bobbo

If he even just dropped Bumble and Ashba, brought back Slash and Izzy, and for good measure, replaced Ferrer with just about any other drummer, it would be Gnr to me, and probably the masses again.

If Axl were merely to replace Dj with Slash it would be GNR to the masses again. That's the superficial mentality which drives most people's desire for a reunion.

Axl at least needs BOTH (not just one or the other) Izzy AND Slash back to make a proper GNR record/reunion. They're just much too important not to have on board. As much as I love Duff, Steven, and even Matt, at the end of the day he could have carried on without them with success.

Along with Axl, Izzy and Slash were the most essential ingredients as to what made Gnr Gnr. Izzy compliments Axl well as a songwriter, and compliments Slash more so than any other guitarist Slash has worked with. Even when it comes to just fleshing out guitar parts. And Slash is way too important to the actual sound of the band not to have around. He was always great at elevating Axl's and/or Izzy's song writing, and no guitarist Axl has worked with since has been as skilled complimenting Axl's moody emotional lyrics and voice like Slash's moody, emotional guitar passages.

Great post. Agree on all points.

Edited by bacardimayne

In my case, Izzy's just as important. Duff and Steve are completely expendable, but Axl/Slash/Izzy were the AFD trifecta that made that album as good as it was.

Do you think an Izzy without heroin is any good musically? Do you think Izzy can achieve the level of performance delivered by Richard night on night?

If Axl were merely to replace Dj with Slash it would be GNR to the masses again. That's the superficial mentality which drives most people's desire for a reunion.

Essentially, to the masses, more or less. Especially if its just for touring.

But for a proper GNR reunion/new music, he needs Izzy too. Whether the public is aware of it or not.

Slash would never share the spotlight with 2 other guitar players. Especially 2 better guitar players.

That's what makes the current band a great band....no egos to ruin everything.

Duff expendable? Remove It's so Easy, Paradise City and Civil War from the setlist then.

I'm not trying to say Duff and co weren't important at all. But Axl, Slash, and Izzy were, by far, the most essential, and they probably could have carried on without the others with significant success.

But for a proper GNR reunion/new music, he needs Izzy too.

I agree with you. But do you honestly think that new music would feature as part of a reunion? If anything I'd imagine that management would keep GNR out of the studio, in order to preserve the tour.

In my case, Izzy's just as important. Duff and Steve are completely expendable, but Axl/Slash/Izzy were the AFD trifecta that made that album as good as it was.

Do you think an Izzy without heroin is any good musically? Do you think Izzy can achieve the level of performance delivered by Richard night on night?

Does it really matter? A reunion would be about nothing but a nostalgia tour. New music would never play a part and no one would care about how well the rhythm guitarist was playing live. Seeing the three guys responsible for AFD being good playing together again would be awesome.

Duff expendable? Remove It's so Easy, Paradise City and Civil War from the setlist then.

It's So Easy is an unremarkable album track. Good for him for helping write three great musicians write two good songs though. I'm sure no other person on the face of the earth could have pulled that off. :rolleyes:

Edited by bacardimayne

Slash would never share the spotlight with 2 other guitar players. Especially 2 better guitar players.

That's what makes the current band a great band....no egos to ruin everything.

Technically better, Bumble, sure. Haven't heard enough from Fortus to say either way. But bullshit, pointless arguments aside, it doesn't matter, point still remains the same as what Axl would need to do to make legit Gnr music. Whether Slash accepts the scenario or not, who knows?

Seeing the three guys responsible for AFD being good playing together again would be awesome.

In Izzy's case, maybe for one night only. But ultimately only Slash would enhance the current crop of guitarists. Fortus plays the material head and shoulders above Izzy.

But for a proper GNR reunion/new music, he needs Izzy too.

I agree with you. But do you honestly think that new music would feature as part of a reunion? If anything I'd imagine that management would keep GNR out of the studio, in order to preserve the tour.

It's all hypotheticals, and I'm talking more or less, if Axl got creative again as well. If a reunion happens, I'm sure there could be room for both touring and creating.

Seeing the three guys responsible for AFD being good playing together again would be awesome.

In Izzy's case, maybe for one night only. But ultimately only Slash would enhance the current crop of guitarists. Fortus plays the material head and shoulders above Izzy.

I can't say I've listened to Izzy's recent performances with Axl closely enough to pick out if he's been doing a good job or not. I never noticed any glaring errors though, so I don't see the problem. Fortus may be a more talented guitarist than Izzy, but does that really matter when Fortus's output with GNR is limited to live covers of Izzy Stradlin's rhythm tracks? Fortus may be a "better live performer" than Izzy, but does that really matter when, despite all of this charisma he supposedly oozes, 98% of the people in the average GNR crowd would take boring ol' Izzy on stage over him in a heartbeat?

Edited by bacardimayne

Fortus may be a "better live performer" than Izzy, but does that really matter when, despite all of this charisma he supposedly oozes, 98% of the people in the average GNR crowd would take boring ol' Izzy on stage over him in a heartbeat?

I think you're overestimating most people's insight into the role of Izzy in old GNR. As far as I'm concerned, given that new material with old GNR is out of the question on the basis of tour sustainability, it's a matter of who plays the material best. Does a noodling Izzy top Richard Fortus? No. Does Slash top Dj? Easily.

Fortus may be a "better live performer" than Izzy, but does that really matter when, despite all of this charisma he supposedly oozes, 98% of the people in the average GNR crowd would take boring ol' Izzy on stage over him in a heartbeat?

I think you're overestimating most people's insight into the role of Izzy in old GNR. As far as I'm concerned, given that new material with old GNR is out of the question on the basis of tour sustainability, it's a matter of who plays the material best. Does a noodling Izzy top Richard Fortus? No. Does Slash top Dj? Easily.

In that case, bring in Myles Kennedy to replace Axl.

Have you heard Myles do GNR? What I mean to say is, have you heard Myles try to do GNR? Obviously, of all people to do GNR, you have Axl and Slash as your first choices.

Have you heard Myles do GNR? What I mean to say is, have you heard Myles try to do GNR? Obviously, of all people to do GNR, you have Axl and Slash as your first choices.

I've experienced it live and it was pretty fuckin' good. Not as good as Axl from 2006-2010, but definitely better than one of his average 2011-13 performances.

And to be honest, I'll go as far as to say that I've never heard Axl Rose sing SCOM live as well as Myles does on a day-to-day basis, even in his prime years.

Edited by bacardimayne

I've experienced it live and it was pretty fuckin' good. Not as good as Axl from 2006-2010, but definitely better than one of his average 2011-13 performances.

And to be honest, I'll go as far as to say that I've never heard Axl Rose sing SCOM live as well as Myles does on a day-to-day basis, even in his prime years.

How can you have reservations about Axl's clean style, yet find yourself endeared by Myles' style? Axl at times has resemembled a bag of cats, Myles prides himself on sounding like a bag of drowning cats.