What if Axl had 'caved in' on what Slash, Duff and the poodlehaired drummer replacement wanted in the 90's?

phaeryen

Duff probably would have died and/or had been hospitalized due to his substance abuse.

Slash would have powertripped through the next album, then left to pursue something self-destructive. like a solo album anyway. which would have failed even more horribly than the snakepit things did.

Gilby or izzy or whoever would have been hired there to round out the frontlines would have gotten annoyed at the druggie squad, then left and replaced.

Axl might have grown to be more of an adult than he is now. or been broken down. GNR would have ended in some sort of a miserable firestorm anyway. Maybe it wouldn't have been so hard on Axl if he would have played less power games to take over things, so he wouldn't have the morality issues and self explaining/justification problem, that he has been unsuccesfully dealing with for over 10 years now(sheesh!)

just some speculation for you guys here.

feel free to join in.

It's not like we are going to have any real news to talk about anyway.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd probably have one or two more good GNR albums than we have now.

Based on the Snakepit material Slash was coming up with it would have sucked donkey balls and GNR would have been the next Poison and Motley Crue

There's this thing called collaboration. Songs evolve in the process.

And you guys are trying to make fun of imaginary haterzzz/reunionissss...... :rolleyes:

Was there any way to reconcile the creative differences of Axl and Slash? Use Your Illusion was a melting pot of both influences. Axl pulled away in the direction of November Rain and Slash pulled in the direction of Civil War.

What Slash is doing today is traditional GNR and what Axl is doing he would perceive to be progressive GNR. Is there any desire on the part of either to try the other? I doubt it.

Remember that the premise is that Axl is caving in.

So what Slash would have wanted over him would have stood.

The band kind of spent all the lee-way they had with The Spaghetti Incident?, the next album would have needed some decent singles.

did they still have ballads "vaulted" from the good old days? Don't cry was from the early eighties originally.

Based on the Snakepit material Slash was coming up with it would have sucked donkey balls and GNR would have been the next Poison and Motley Crue

Of shush. If Axl had sang on it you'd have praised it into the heavens as the greatest music ever made.

I like the idea you're getting at, but is that really a premise worth looking into? There's more hope of the commander of Al-Qaeda draping himself in the stars & stripes and singing happy birthday Mr. President live on Omegle. Edited by NGOG

I like the idea you're getting at, but is that really a premise worth looking into? There's more hope of the commander of Al-Qaeda draping himself in the stars & stripes and singing happy birthday Mr. President live on Omegle.

I don't know. Why not though? If people stay somewhat civil something interesting could be said. And as I originally pointed out, not much to talk about with our bowling alley GNR anyway. I appreciate this thread of conversation, not so much interested in another TB bashfest, or DJ Ashba swag appreciation talk, or fucking bumblefoot saying how they've yet to get paid to be in a room together to jam out songs. ....... :(

I reckon the Snakepit record could have been like Draw the Line. If they had then broken up without Axl owning the name. Then when they needed to they could have done a normal reunion.

But with Axl forseeing what was going to happen secured the name. Slash n Duff carried on and tried to kill themselves. So Axl became the bad guy.

But say they carried on in Guns releasing whatever and Axl just singing on whatever. They would have come to the same end. But Axl wouldnt be the badguy. It would be a mid career slump. Then maybe Izzy might have come back for a record. They may have finally got back on track when Slash did Slither and Fall to Pieces. Then in 2005 with getting sober everone would be like hey Axl remember those ballads? and theyd finally make an album with TIL and Twat on it and GNR would now be touring behing an album a bit like UYI.

Edited by wasted

And based upon that fucking wreck of an album Chinese Democracy they would have been relegated to playing t he hits from 1987

Duff probably would have died and/or had been hospitalized due to his substance abuse.

Slash would have powertripped through the next album, then left to pursue something self-destructive. like a solo album anyway. which would have failed even more horribly than the snakepit things did.

Your entire premise is flawed, and this is why:

Your scenario is based on Axl being completely changed: he isn't an asshole dictator control-maniac in your fantasy.

Yet, you don't give that same treatment to Slash or Duff; you assume that, while Axl gets to change for the better in your insane fantasy, Slash and Duff are the same assholes they always were.

Your scenario is based on Axl being completely changed: he isn't an asshole dictator control-maniac in your fantasy.

Yet, you don't give that same treatment to Slash or Duff; you assume that, while Axl gets to change for the better in your insane fantasy, Slash and Duff are the same assholes they always were.

What makes my fantasy "insane"? It's just a what if, on the premise of Axl caving in. Why and how did it hurt your feelings so much so that you had to do a 180 and come attack me like that? Chill out. Here Axl caves in and does what the druggie squad tells him to do. In reality, and the all of the other topics here, he can be the control freak circus or whatever it is you want him to be. :)

I think doing Snakepit as GNR suited Slash, it would be easy for him. I'm not sure if Axl could come up with lyrics for it though. He'd have to write retro GNR lyrics.

Edited by wasted

The biggest problem with GNR in the late 90s was that Axl didn't want to do anything. No tour, no album, no videos, nothing. WTF is up with that?

GNR could have released an album of Slash and Duff farting for 60 minutes and they would still make $100 million on a tour in 1996. Just look at Metallica and all their crappy albums (especially Lulu). Metallica is still a respected band and they never have to worry about money in this lifetime.

But for some reason Axl had to "take it to the next level" which apparently means sulking in his mansion for the prime years of his life and then sitting by as the most important members of his nu band quit.

A new record would have the guys back off drugs a bit and try to focus on new material. We'd eventually have a Slash solo record and an Axl solo record and maybe they would have found a way to tolerate each other.

The only thing for sure is that there'd be an album out there much better than CD.

What makes my fantasy "insane"? It's just a what if, on the premise of Axl caving in. Why and how did it hurt your feelings so much so that you had to do a 180 and come attack me like that? Chill out. Here Axl caves in and does what the druggie squad tells him to do. In reality, and the all of the other topics here, he can be the control freak circus or whatever it is you want him to be. :)

Axl wasn't gonna ever cave. Fuck, he still hasn't. For anyone. For all intensive purposes he threw away the prime of his career to prove the fact he would never cave. And that's just sad. So much music lost forever, so many incredible live performances that never came to fruition. And I still find the " it's Axls fault" position a tired and unintelligent argument. Slash fucked everything up just as much as Axl. There were two differences. One looked at the situation and decided "fuck this, I'm gonna be proactive, And do something about this" the other shot some more dope, demanded the next GNR record be his way or nothing at all, said fuck it, and wrote an album with another band to prove he didnt need anybody, named it after himself (a clear case of " look at me, look at me ") wrote it chuck full of lyrics attacking his real lead singer. Then came back expecting everyone to fall in line. When it didn't happen, he took his guitar and went home. All of this, even without intricate detail explains pretty clearly why one will never have anything to do with the other, and why the other knows he fucked up, and has tried everything short of a live television apology to get back in good graces, and would jump at the chance of returning. If Slash was ever truly fucked over by Axl in the beginning of all this, his pride as a man couldn't allow for it. Just my opiniun. But in the end. There both a couple of assholes that can't get over each other, and the only thing they achieved in this was never fulfilling the true greatness that never was. Edited by ll_tj1