The reason why although Better is the most catchy GNR song ever, it never became a hit

ManetsBR

Better is perhaps the most catchy and radiophonic Guns N' Roses song ever. Better is the prove that an album being a success or not has nothing to do with the music on it. Street Of Dreams and IRS are also very catchy.

That recent Grantland article made me think... Maybe there was an agenda from the industry to flop Chinese Democracy to teach all the other bands a lesson: "Art is bad for the business. Don't you ever try to make something new or to evolve. Keep up with your easy selling Rock N' Roll everyone likes."'

Black Ice is just a modern - and worse - version of Back In Black and Death Magnetic... The riff from The Day That Never Comes resembles so much One that it's even kind of pathetic.

Edited by ManetsBR

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they'd come out with SOD as a first single it might've given people some kind of hook to hang their hat on, but Better was weird enough, and such a departure, that people probably went "that sounds nothing like GNR, I'm out."

Edited by moreblack

How weird. I've been wondering myself lately how Better didn't become huge. It was definitely damaged by its premature release but also, it just wasn't exposed enough. I didn't hear Better myself until I bought Chinese Democracy. It would have been aided by a video too.

LOL this.

I agree with you completely, Manets. But I do think if Axl/Ashba write a stripped-down power ballad that resembles old GnR, people would be receptive.

The only other song they've written as catchy and straight forward is YCBM. Before you all start yes I know GNR have loads of songs that people sing along to but none as simple yet catchy as Better.

Edited by NGOG

The intro ruins the song plus Axl's voice fits rock songs, not semi industrial songs. If only Axl himself would realize that...

Better contains one of Axl's most ferocious vocal moments.

Better is perhaps the most catchy and radiophonic Guns N' Roses song ever. Better is the prove that an album being a success or not has nothing to do with the music on it. Street Of Dreams and IRS are also very catchy.

That recent Grantland article made me think... Maybe there was an agenda from the industry to flop Chinese Democracy to teach all the other bands a lesson: "Art is bad for the business. Don't you ever try to make something new or to evolve. Keep up with your easy selling Rock N' Roll everyone likes."'

Black Ice is just a modern - and worse - version of Back In Black and Death Magnetic... The riff from The Day That Never Comes resembles so much One that it's even kind of pathetic.

You're wrong. It's just the way it is.

Oasis was the biggest band in the world at the time they released Be Here Now. It was standard rock and roll with no new tricks, some catchy song and cheesy lyrics that rock fans typically lap up. Everyone hated it. Radiohead left everything they did rock wise behind 3 years after Be Here Now came out and the record, Kid A, is now considered one of the best of the last decade by most serious music fans.

Artistic Integrity and innovation can trump traditionalism when done right. Kid A was done right, Chinese Democracy was done wrong.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

The videogame guitar shredding prevents that song from being a mainstream hit.

Any decent mixing engineer could chop it up into a punchy, straightforward, catchy song. But instead, it's just a great idea buried under a slathering mess.

Guest cbgnr666

I actually heard it for the first time in ages on the radio couple of weeks ago and it just stood out as something a bit unique as compared to the usual daily playlist.

I like The Day That Never Comes. Great song. I especially liked it when it was called "Rain" by The Cult.

That cacophonous pedal tone at the beginning sounds like a European ambulance siren. Hurts my ears. The whole is cut & paste misery. Song is shhhhhhhhit.