Dumb and Dumber To

I heard it was cancelled. Read it in an article about Jim carreys declining career.

On July 9th, 2013, while on Late Show with Jimmy Fallon, [Jeff] Daniels confirmed the involvement of Jim Carrey, and stated that shooting will start in September 2013 for a 2014 release (marking the 20th anniversary of the first films release).

I heard it was cancelled. Read it in an article about Jim carreys declining career.

Carrey dropped out a while back, then joined again, but then the studio who owned it ditched it after Carrey's last movie bombed. That shows how far he's fallen: he used to make $20 mil a movie, and Dumb and Dumber To's production budget was only $35 mil and the studio still thought it was too risky.

But, Universal/Red Granite Pictures bought the rights after the other studio gave them up, so the movie is definitely being made now.

• 9 months later...

Can't wait for this. I have high hopes. Haven't watched a good comedy in ages. I'm counting on you, Jim and Jeff.

They know how high they set the bar with the first film, so they wouldn't even do it if they didn't think it would be good. I'm excited for this as well. The first film is still the funniest movie ever imo.

i hate to say it, but i feel like the sequel is inevitably going to have a lot of 'oh, they're doing that again' moments, if only because with sequels like this, you're kind of stuck doing that.

good example is anchorman 2. if they had gotten rid of the 'brick is stupid' gags, along with all the other character quirks and scene homages (the mandatory musical moment, the 'epic battle' at the end with celeb cameos, etc.), people would have been pissed that they changed everything that made the first movie a hit. at the same time, it's kind of a been-there-done-that thing. i guess another good example is the hangover trilogy, where they kept repeating the same core ideas, and then with the third movie they tried to switch it up a little bit and it didn't quite work.

i'm very excited for this movie because i do love the original, but you can bet it will inevitably end up disappointing a lot of people and recycling certain gags.

• Like 1