Dumb and Dumber To

Anchorman is another movie that was lame as fuck. I didn't even bother with Anchorman 2. What do you guys find "funny" about them?

always felt the original was a bit overrated but then again it may have just been fratboys quoting lines ad nauseam that killed it for me. who knows. it's still a pretty dumb, silly kind of flick.

i hate to say it, but i feel like the sequel is inevitably going to have a lot of 'oh, they're doing that again' moments, if only because with sequels like this, you're kind of stuck doing that.

good example is anchorman 2. if they had gotten rid of the 'brick is stupid' gags, along with all the other character quirks and scene homages (the mandatory musical moment, the 'epic battle' at the end with celeb cameos, etc.), people would have been pissed that they changed everything that made the first movie a hit. at the same time, it's kind of a been-there-done-that thing. i guess another good example is the hangover trilogy, where they kept repeating the same core ideas, and then with the third movie they tried to switch it up a little bit and it didn't quite work.

i'm very excited for this movie because i do love the original, but you can bet it will inevitably end up disappointing a lot of people and recycling certain gags.

I dont even care if it uses old gags, as long as it is good!

• Like 1

Dumb and Dumber is my favourite straight out comedy of all time. If this sequel is only one-tenth as funny as the original I'm sure it will be worth the ticket price.

I would haves thought we would have had a trailer for this by now,

• Like 1

Only reason I will see is it is because the film was shot 2 miles from my home.

Traffic was a nightmare during filming so, I'd like to see just what kind of acting/quality/scene sets clogged up my

streets.

Anchorman 2 was shot in Georgia as well, near Newnan I think.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll pop up at a theatre near you. ( pipe dream sheri, just a pipe dream )

Dumb and Dumber is my favourite straight out comedy of all time. If this sequel is only one-tenth as funny as the original I'm sure it will be worth the ticket price.

I would haves thought we would have had a trailer for this by now,

I know, I've been waiting for a trailer.

Edited by Sheri_Rose

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes. I hate to say it, but that really doesn't look very good, does it?

Pretty much exactly what I feared, forced references to the first movie ("I like it a lot," the mouth spray gag, etc.), and an over-reliance on potty humor that isn't quite as clever as the original. The Farrellys at some point really just lost touch with their balance between crude and sweet, it's why their recent films have all sucked.

Also, just me or does it look strangely low-budget? Like the set pieces look very...fake?

Sorry, I realize it's just a trailer and I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but these are my first reactions to the footage.

Wow, years of anticipation for this. That single handily destroyed all expectations and excitment. I was worried they would make it too ridicolous and vulgar. Of course they did, I didn't laugh once. The feel of the original is also completely absent from this. That looks like such shit. Fuck...

I'll reserve judgment. It's a trailer for a comedy. If it's good, everyone complains that they used all the good jokes in the trailer and spoiled the movie. If it's bad, everyone complains that it looks shit.

The first joke and the phone part made me laugh.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

The dusty hand scene at the end made me laugh.

It's just a trailer though. Here was the trailer for the first film. Can't say the trailer was all the great either:

The first movie killed because many of the bigger jokes didn't make it in the trailer. I'm hopeful that this is the case here as well. Nothing worse than when the trailer reveals all of a film's funniest moments.

Also, I don't begrudge them reusing some of the old jokes from the first one and putting them in the trailer. Helps continuity IMO.

• Like 1

Wow, this looks just... very very awful. I'll admit, I never had fond feelings about the first one. I always thought it was a little overrated, but I got the gist of it and liked parts. It seemed like a comedy they made for themselves that happened to find a cult audience and I was happy for it in that respect. But this new one just looks terrible. Don't think I laughed once and all the stuff seemed way over the top, reaching a very unfunny climax.

The trailer just left me feeling dirty and not in a good way. Someone said the cinematography quality looked like a funny or die sketch and I agree. I don't know if they were working with a super low budget or what, but the film quality just looks rubbish and their makeup and set pieces look so garish.

I realize this isn't Rashomon we're discussing or anything but seriously. The first movie is so endearing and fun. This just looks like another dumb and dumberer.

This thread seems to run counter to the general sentiment I see all over the net and on Facebook. Most people upon seeing this thread seem to be voicing optimism and excitement. I wonder if that's just the common sentiment of being a GNR fan these days :P

The storyline seems very lackluster... i'm surprised they agreed to do it. You'd think they would know the repercussions of making a 2nd Dumb and Dumber and it failing. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the trailer makes it out to be.

The storyline seems very lackluster... i'm surprised they agreed to do it. You'd think they would know the repercussions of making a 2nd Dumb and Dumber and it failing. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the trailer makes it out to be.

Like I posted above, watch the trailer for the first movie. I won't generalize or speak for others, but based on the trailer for the first movie I wouldn't have guessed the film would prove to be so funny.

These movies are nothing more than expositions in physical, slap-stick comedy. When the first film debuted over twenty years ago, they pushed the envelop in that genre. But the bar has risen so far since the first one that everything now seems kind of derivative.

If this movie works it will be based solely on the strength of the two lead characters. Nobody has done dumb quite as well as Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels since the first movie came out. I have enough faith that neither would reprise their roles if they didn't think the material justified it.

Edited by downzy