What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Suspicion (1941)

Only the combination of Alfred Hitchcock and Cary Grant can make a movie where 95% of the screen time is newlyweds discussing their finances suspenseful and interesting. It's a nice play on the typical murder mystery formula. Great film with some excellent supporting performances.

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Suspicion (1941)

Only the combination of Alfred Hitchcock and Cary Grant can make a movie where 95% of the screen time is newlyweds discussing their finances suspenseful and interesting. It's a nice play on the typical murder mystery formula. Great film with some excellent supporting performances.

Like The Lodger before with Ivor Novello, Hitchock was forced to switch the character because of the star power of the main lead, i.e. you cannot have Cary Grant as a scheming murder.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Like The Lodger before with Ivor Novello, Hitchock was forced to switch the character because of the star power of the main lead, i.e. you cannot have Cary Grant as a scheming murder.

I think the change actually worked in the film's favour - the audience knows that Cary Grant can't be a murderer but at the same time you're just as unsure as Joan Fontaine (who was terrific and certainly deserved her Oscar). That in itself helped create the suspense. The resolution as a cautionary tale is a bit of break from the "reveal the murderer" norm. It's a fun film thanks to the performances and excellent dialogue. I'll have to check out The Lodger - I haven't seen that yet.

37 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

That quite explains your taste in movies considering the sparkling turd that Spectre really was.

I enjoyed it, I suppose, but would rank it as the worst Bond film Craig has done.

How can that be when Quantum of Soul-less exists?

On 2016. 02. 11. at 5:38 PM, Black Sabbath said:

That quite explains your taste in movies considering the sparkling turd that Spectre really was.

I enjoyed it, I suppose, but would rank it as the worst Bond film Craig has done.

Well, posting or even talking about a  post 60's James Bond film in a movie thread just shows if you got any taste in movies or not:lol:

I wasn't watched any "new"James Bond film since 2001 (when i was 13) :shrugs: Then i watched older James Bond's but quickly got bored

James Bond means generic turd in my book

I would rather watch b movies horror movies from the 70's than ANY James Bond film, it's just a complete waste of time

Same applies to the Mission Impossible series

Edited by Strange Broue

2 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Lethal Weapon 3 was worse than the first two. I will watch the fourth one tonight or later this week if I have time. The series was on sale at Target. 

1 and 2 are awesome. 

I like 4 better than 3 but nothing can touch the magic of the first two. I will say that it's a remarkably consistent series. It's great that Richard Donner did all four and kept the same cast even down to the most minor role. It's also great that to get all four movies costs about $6.

I did a double feature of the first two Terminator films last night since I recently upgraded the series to Blu-ray. What is there to say that can't already be said about these movies? As near to cinematic perfection as you can get. I personally prefer the second but it doesn't matter because they're both on the same level.

The self-sacrifice scene at the end of T2 still gets those emotions flowing... until you realize James Cameron borrowed the very same shot when Jack and Cal force Rose onto a lifeboat in Titanic. :lol:

8 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

The Kingsman - I enjoyed Colin Firth's character and the cinema pur aspects although I found the plot-lines undercooked and rather conventional.

Batman Bad Blood - Katherine Kane's character showed promise and I enjoyed child sociopath Robin but if you told me the script was written by a computer Batman script generator, I wouldn't be surprised. Awful. 

---

Someone recommend me something pretentious or by a French director. I need something challenging.

Le Samourai by Jean-Pierre Melville.

Terminator 3

The latest in my mini-marathon. It's a fun action flick but totally misses the feel and storytelling of the Cameron films. I'm fine with the whole "postponed judgment day" thing but their approach was terrible - why cheat Cameron's mythology and say "it's inevitable" when there was technically an arm still leftover in the machine at the end of T2? There's your stronger plot point. I know the Cameron films aren't without their paradoxes but T3 just comes across as lazy. They make John a total idiot (he would clearly know that Arnold is not the same terminator that they destroyed), they get his age wrong in the first thirty seconds of the movie, and the whole thing feels too contrived and convenient.

When the T-800 mentions that he was the one who killed future John because his appearance made it easy to trick him, I can't help but feel like that would have made a much cooler movie - T-800 infiltrating the resistance and trying to kill John in the future. Instead, we got a T2 rehash beat for beat and not nearly as memorable.

Now, do I torture myself with Salvation or skip to Genisys and pretend T3 and Salvation don't exist?