What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Just now, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The original from the 1950's. I love that movie.

The Gallows

Yeah, the one with James Arness and the crazy old English professor. :lol:

I've seen it loads of times, but it's still a great film no matter how many times you watch it.

Charade (1963)

I had never seen it before I watched it the other night. It's been often cited as "the best Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never made" and I can see why. Tightly crafted plot, great twists, outstanding dialogue, and it stars Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. What more could you want?

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

Charade (1963)

I had never seen it before I watched it the other night. It's been often cited as "the best Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never made" and I can see why. Tightly crafted plot, great twists, outstanding dialogue, and it stars Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. What more could you want?

A lovely, lovely film. Audrey flings herself at Carey at every turn! Great supporting cast, too, with people like George Kennedy and James Coburn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PappyTron said:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Got terrible reviews when it came out y'know.  Very much a movie that the people loved and the critics came round to.

Pound for pound, performance-wise, Eli Wallach acts everyone right off the screen in that film.

3 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Got terrible reviews when it came out y'know.  Very much a movie that the people loved and the critics came round to.

Pound for pound, performance-wise, Eli Wallach acts everyone right off the screen in that film.

"I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, smokes cigars and he's a pig!"

Tuco was a wise man, despite all of his foolishness.

"When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PappyTron said:

"I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, smokes cigars and he's a pig!"

Tuco was a wise man, despite all of his foolishness.

"When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk!"

'when that rope starts to pull tight, you can feel the Devil bite your ass' :lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

What's the best Bond movie? I've only seen the newer ones. 

I guess it's kind of ironic that I didn't list one. :lol:

From Russia With Love and On Her Majesty's Secret Service are both wonderful. Those are my "desert island" picks and most critics seem to widely consider those two the best along with Goldfinger.

• Like 1

Monkey Business (1953)

It's funny how sometimes retrospective releases can skew your opinion on a film. The box set version I have proudly proclaims that Marilyn Monroe is Cary Grant's leading lady, and she's even all over the box art and menu screens. Needless to say, I was surprised when it turned out that she was barely in the film as a side character (although they did have good chemistry).

Okay film with some charming moments, but even Howard Hawks didn't particularly care for it as one of his better comedies.

On 4/20/2016 at 3:51 PM, Wagszilla said:

I'm only drinking whiskey and watching Westerns for the rest of April.

I'm watching Silverado and going back chronologically from there.

How about a top 3 or top 5 or something when you finish.

Fallen. Not Denzel's best, but not bad. Kind of creepy, cool ending. Plus they play this throughout the movie...