What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

On 4/21/2016 at 7:30 PM, Wagszilla said:

What's your guys and gals favorite movie of all time? 

Goodfellas

the funny thing before i watched it, narration and ridiculously long run times always turned me off...so the fact it blew me away and became my favorite film speaks volumes on how just dope it is...it also turned me into a big Scorsese fan aswell and i have seen almost every film hes made

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

Thrilla in Manilla (documentary).

Seen the fight like 100 times but never watched the doc. I actually didn't care for it. The whole thing is just so pro-Frazier/anti-Ali that it turned me off. I mean it had that feel during the whole movie. For really no good reason. Two of the best fighters ever, one of the best matches ever, no need for good guys and bad guys. You feel sorry for Joe already without making Ali a villain. I've heard about this doc for a long time and came away disappointed. 

Kiss Them For Me (1957)

The film that did so poorly for 20th Century Fox that they were contemplating dropping Jayne Mansfield from their "A" roster. How does it hold up almost 60 years later? I think it's enjoyable. It's lighthearted and fun, but I wouldn't consider it either Stanley Donen's or Cary Grant's best.

An Affair To Remember (1957)

Wonderful. However, I was slightly distracted by the fact that the scenes on the ship appeared to be shot on identical sets to Fox's earlier, wildly inaccurate take on Titanic. I wouldn't be surprised if they were indeed the same since sets were so often reused in those days. I was probably paying closer attention to that than some of the dialogue. :lol:

Excellent film though!

5 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I meant that I had 4 more to finish out my Westerns watchlist.

But the last 4 I've actually watched were: Stagecoach, Outlaw Josey Wales, Shane, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. 

Good Bad & Ugly and Unforgiven get all the love, but Josey Wales is my favorite Eastwood western.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I meant that I had 4 more to finish out my Westerns watchlist.

But the last 4 I've actually watched were: Stagecoach, Outlaw Josey Wales, Shane, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. 

Literally everyone of those films had a seismic effect on cinema.  They're seminal films, everyone of those.  Man, i thought you were like...digging into the crates or something, those movies are like the western equivalent of Sinatra standards.  Treasure of the Sierra Madre is one of the greatest pieces of film I've ever seen (Clint Eastwoods fav film of all time by the way).

What was your watchlist man, lemme see the whole thing :)  I love westerns, westerns were like my childhood superhero movies.  You need to check out Jimmy Stewart westerns like Winchester 73, The Man from Laramie...also Henry Fonda, you need to see every Henry Fonda Westen from the first to the last.  Gary Cooper is another one.  And if you wanna get a bit obscure have a look at Johnny Mack Brown. 

And check out your Western TV shows like Bonanza and Rawhide and Wanted Dead or Alive and Have Gun Will Travel.

Edited by Len B'stard

10 Cloverfield Lane 

Extremely dumb and unoriginal. Probably cost close to zero to produce and since the whole 'sequel' angle was tagged on, I can only imagine how bad the movie sucked in its original cut. I liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead better in the Thing prequel.

Brokeback Mountain

This isn't a gay western, it's a drama about two gay cowboys herding sheep and too soap drama'ish with so so performances from Gyllenhaal and Hathaway. I didn't buy the fast 'aging' storyline and thought the gay moments were laughably bad.