What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Is French new wave like Godard? I remember liking A Bout De Souffle or Breathless( not the Richard Remake). Le Mepris was the best with Bardot, almost like french version of The Player. Weekend was kind of cool in parts, like the 30 min panning shot of the traffic jam and amateur hour with the protests. 

Blackhat I thought was just Mann trying to be more commercial. It's almost like a Mission Impossible movie. I enjoyed it but it's no LA Takedown. 

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

I've been watching the last couple of Kurosawa films I hadn't seen.

French New Wave is 50s-60s counter-cultural filmmaking so yeah Godard and Truffaut.

I thought Blackhat was almost anti-commercial with it's lack of handholding. I haven't re-watched it yet but I really appreciated it's approach to technology at minimum. 

I think the clue is it filmed in Shanghai in parts. It has a very commercial asian filmaking feel. I don't think it really pleased Mann fans as it developed away from Miami cool. It's actually fast paced inparts right? I enjoyed it, but it wasn't character focused as much. That was just my first impression. Blackhats is a cool topic but he actually kept it gritty. It wasn't Hackers was it. I just think my opinion is out of step with critics so I'm hedging my bets. 

I feel like the commercial shallowness aspects of it wereconscious. It doesn't have that brooding cool of Mann. Reminds me of Infernal Affairs or modern Hong kong cinema. In the end he chose movie not character. At some point it just goes action thriller full on. 

Truffaut is Jules et Jim. It's the sort of shit Michael Hutchence based his life on. 

Wikipedia Brechtian to prepare for Godard or just don't and let Tarantino style coax you. Le Mepris is sexy. Godard just makes me reassess my lack of dress sense. No cargo pants or hoodies in this bitch yo. 

On 5/15/2016 at 5:43 PM, Len B'stard said:

Once Upon A Time in America

Classic. You need to check out A Bronx Tale.

Hatfields & McCoys, mini series. About halfway through. Not bad for a History Channel movie. Even Costner isn't too bad.

1 minute ago, J Dog said:

Classic. You need to check out A Bronx Tale.

Hatfields & McCoys, mini series. About halfway through. Not bad for a History Channel movie. Even Costner isn't too bad.

I seen it man, it's pretty good.  Some of the scenes with the kids come off a bit corny now I'm older but overall it's pretty good.

Edited by Len B'stard

Gods of Egypt

I've always liked Egyptian mythology and this movie is basically one big real life cartoon version of it, but somehow it works! I remember the PC police raving on the predominantly "white" casting but everyone does a great job so who cares. If it'll look this great, I say bring on the white Cleopatra movie.

Edited by Bumblefeet

Bullet to Beijing - Michael Caine, Jason Connery, 90s sequel to the Harry Palmer films, pretty underrated i reckon

Wrong Box - absolutely hilairious film with probably one of the best casts I've ever seen Michael Caine, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Leonard Rossiter (though hardly in it!), Norman Rossington, Irene Handl, Tony Hancock, it's just a whos who, a PROPER British 60s movie.  What annoys me about British 60s movies is the way they are taken so literally in the sense that, y'know, the 60s was some immensely corny era where all these cute films were made that are an example of some sort of bumbling innocence of certain strands of cinema at the time, i say this because they absolutely miss the point that a lot of these films are deliberate farces, acutely self awareness and deliberately silly and done for comic effect.

Gambit - Michael Caine, Shirley Maclaine, cool little switcheroo movie with a sort of a non-linear (not really actually!) structure by way of like, an imagined sequence as it were.

Kidnapped - Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, nice movie, i think i understood Scottish history better i would have understood it better, all about Jacobites and Campbells and Stuarts and the British and all these redcoats going around killing Scots...but the redcoats were Scotish too, i thought redcoats were England...in fact i know redcoats were England.  Anyway this lad gets kidnapped and taken on a ship to be sold into indentured slavery, gets saved by joining forces with Michael Caine and then they're back in Scotland dodging redcoats and hiding out with various Scots, one of em ends up being a girl who goes with em after her old man is apparently killed.  Really good film.  Redcoats were fuckin' horrible, if thats historically accurate then it's quite frightening.

Midnight in St Petersberg - Michael Caine as Harry Palmer again, whoo hoo!

A Shock to the System - Michael Caine and Elizabeth McGovern, funny little movie, black comedy, Michael Caine plays this aging business exec' who gets passed over for a promotion and has a horrible wife so he sets about doing what any right minded human being would do, he kills the fuckin' lot of em :lol:  Gloriously ammoral film.

Seen em all before except Kidnapped which i think i saw a kid but i don't think i understood it at the time so it didn't make much odds either way.  I love Michael Caine, he's sort of the ideal of British cool, in the same way Steve McQueen is the ideal of American cool.  Michael Caines just got that thing, whatever it is, that just makes a person unmissable onscreen, I'm even gonna watch the Batman films to catch him in em, he's the dogs bollocks really, love the man ever since i first saw him in The Man Who Would Be King when i was like 6 or something.

Edited by Len B'stard

We're the Millers and Horrible Bosses, have watched both the movies before and they were great that time and they are still great.

We're the Millers is really a good time pass, I hope they make a 2nd part of it.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2016 at 2:58 AM, Bumblefeet said:

Gods of Egypt

I've always liked Egyptian mythology and this movie is basically one big real life cartoon version of it, but somehow it works! I remember the PC police raving on the predominantly "white" casting but everyone does a great job so who cares. If it'll look this great, I say bring on the white Cleopatra movie.

So is it worth the watch? Yeah people were complaining about the white cast, but thats not an issue for me, the trailer sucked balls and the VFX was just meh, so is the story any good? 

27 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

So is it worth the watch? Yeah people were complaining about the white cast, but thats not an issue for me, the trailer sucked balls and the VFX was just meh, so is the story any good? 

The movies' saving grace is the dynamic between the mortals and the gods which has some funny and cool moments. Definitely worth the watch.