What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

@Len B'stard

Have you ever seen A Shock To The System and Deathtrap, both with Michael Caine? Hilarious little movies.

I mentioned Shock to the System up there...as for Deathtrap is that the one with Christopher Reeves?  If so, yes and its hilairous!

21 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I mentioned Shock to the System up there...as for Deathtrap is that the one with Christopher Reeves?  If so, yes and its hilairous!

Yeah, soz; I completely missed that part of your post! :lol:

Yes, with Reeves.

"Don't worry, it's all been a success"

"A success? A SUCCESS?! I don't call getting gangbanged in the state penitentiary "A success"!!!".

:lol:

14 hours ago, PappyTron said:

Yeah, soz; I completely missed that part of your post! :lol:

Yes, with Reeves.

"Don't worry, it's all been a success"

"A success? A SUCCESS?! I don't call getting gangbanged in the state penitentiary "A success"!!!".

Loved that film, those are some of my favourite types of film too, limited setting character driven pieces, they have like a theatrical touch to them and the actors have to REALLY act. 

20 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

..but the redcoats were Scotish too, i thought redcoats were England...in fact i know redcoats were England. 

Kidnapped, the novel anyhow, is set in the mid 18th century which is after the Act of Union.

Just now, Len B'stard said:

So that was all Scots doing each other?  Was fuckin' brutal man.

It is a British Army, not an English Army. In brief the Union of 1707 amalgamated the English and Scottish regiments into a British Army.

Nothing much has changed since then. The British Army still has those Scottish regiments, Scots Guards, Coldstream Guards (where my uncle did his national service). The Royal Regiment of Scotland is a monstrous 'Blair' amalgam which has the lineages of all of those ancient Scottish line regiments, the Royal Scots and King's Own Scottish Borders, etc.

6 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Loved that film, those are some of my favourite types of film too, limited setting character driven pieces, they have like a theatrical touch to them and the actors have to REALLY act. 

Honestly, Deathtrap and A Shock To The System are two of my favourite films. Caine is amazing in both.

"That's when he realised that she was.... a witch!"

31 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Honestly, Deathtrap and A Shock To The System are two of my favourite films. Caine is amazing in both.

"That's when he realised that she was.... a witch!"

What always struck me about Shock is that, despite being a mainstream hollywood picture, it's almost completely amoral.  There is literally like...no overriding or underlying positive reconcilliation or moral justice to it, it's glorious :lol:

2 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

What always struck me about Shock is that, despite being a mainstream hollywood picture, it's almost completely amoral.  There is literally like...no overriding or underlying positive reconcilliation or moral justice to it, it's glorious :lol:

Yeah, the whole film is full of cracking jokes and piss-takes and everyone is an ass.

I like when the detective calls to tell him that his wife is dead and Caine's response is "Oh. Oh dear. How...shocking!"

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

Yeah, the whole film is full of cracking jokes and piss-takes and everyone is an ass.

I like when the detective calls to tell him that his wife is dead and Caine's response is "Oh. Oh dear. How...shocking!"

Now i think about it it has more than a little in common with American Psycho, satirising yuppies and that.

4 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Now i think about it it has more than a little in common with American Psycho, satirising yuppies and that.

It's just a brilliant film, Len.

"I've got more power in THIS fucking hand than all you know!!"

I could quote it from memory, all day.

the Intern

Girl House

Yeah, love Predator. Never get tired of watching it. I remember when it was being filmed. The interview with all the actors was funny because they would all work out in the gym together trying to be bigger than Arnold.  Awesome movie. The creature was so amazing looking. When that helmet comes off and Arnold says "you're one ugly mother fucker" you just have to laugh.

Felt like a Mission: Impossible film and I've watched Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation recently enough that I decided on the third. Halfway through it I realized I'm watching it just after it celebrated its 10th Anniversary. I can't believe it's ten years old already. It was a huge step back in the right direction after the disaster that was the second film. Philip Seymour Hoffman shines as the villain. The plot is the least inspired of the series (conveniently not telling us key details) but somehow it still works. Great set pieces and a lot of fun. Probably my third favorite in the series, although the only one I flat out think is a stinker is the second.

I rewatched a film with Pierce Brosnan called The Matador, where he plays this drunk, louche, sex crazed bisexual hitman who's in the middle of a nervous breakdown. Watching the former James Bond, who gets asked if he is a spy in the movie, extolling the fact that everything in Mexico tastes better, especially cock, is hilarious.