What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

11 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

The Battle of the Bulge - Henry Fonda, Robert Shaw, Robert Ryan, Charles Bronson, Telly Savalas and Pier Angeli, who i believe was James Deans bird.

Bit flawed that. Historically inaccurate if I recall.

You Only Live Once - Henry Fonda, Sylvia Sidney, directed by Fritz Lang. 

A guy released from jail, trying to go straight but finds it's a lot harder than it looks, ends up a kinda Bonnie and Cyde thing.  Brilliant film.  Sometimes you see a film and you think, in the hands of lesser artists what it might've been and in the studio system era it's easier to do that because of the cookie cutter thing they had going on and also because it shows you the power of genius under certain constraints, this film is a brilliant example of that.  First of all you can see the power of the director.  For example, a lot of amazing films were made in the 1930s  but one thing i notice about em is that in terms of like dialogue and in terms of the way they are constructed they trend to rattle.  Like everyones rushing to do their bit, giving the dialogue delivery and the pace of them a kind of scattergun feel.  You could see from really really early on how Lang understood the power of silence and more than that understood instinctively the directors function of taking the human eye directly to points of curiosity, using certain visuals like raining beating against a window or a street light shining through a set of blinds.  And then Fonda, Christ Almighty.  I don't know what it is about that guy but when you watch him in the movies, especially the ones from the 1930s (you get this quite a bit from Cagney as well though he came to exemplify that 1930s type of dialogue delivery) that he just appears to be of another time.  He's magnetic not just to look at but he seems to talk to a different beat than the rest of the actors. 

Fury - Spencer Tracey, Sylvia Sidney, directed by Fritz Lang.

Wrongly accused guy escapes a lynch mob and survives and goes about trying to see him hang for his own murder, another cracker of a film, highly politicised in terms of it's era in that its trying to make a point about mob justice, it reads out some kinda stat about 6,000 cases of lynching that year in America (1936 or 37), really class film from a director approaching his artistic peak.

I'm sitting here watching Stallone's Cobra. N I know he's trying to stop the slasher killings, which he finds out is a whole gang. N this whole gang is going after this chick that saw only one creepy dude standing in the streets. The gang pretty much fucked themselves. Why the hell did they even bother going after her? They had no reason to do so. After she sees that dude n speeds off, she makes no point in reporting it. N they could of kept going about their business in stabbing chicks. 

But fuck yeah! 80's action movies were flat out full of unlimited bullets n no nonsense explosions . The part where Stallone's in the back of the truck just throwing out lead st the motorcyclist n basically being immune to their bullets is awesome. 

The movie could of used some Jackie Chan though.

Edited by zeppelinrocksnexttognr

14 hours ago, zeppelinrocksnexttognr said:

I'm sitting here watching Stallone's Cobra. N I know he's trying to stop the slasher killings, which he finds out is a whole gang. N this whole gang is going after this chick that saw only one creepy dude standing in the streets. The gang pretty much fucked themselves. Why the hell did they even bother going after her? They had no reason to do so. After she sees that dude n speeds off, she makes no point in reporting it. N they could of kept going about their business in stabbing chicks. 

But fuck yeah! 80's action movies were flat out full of unlimited bullets n no nonsense explosions . The part where Stallone's in the back of the truck just throwing out lead st the motorcyclist n basically being immune to their bullets is awesome. 

The movie could of used some Jackie Chan though.

Love this movie! Well, Bridget was with Sly at this time, so he had to give her a part in his movie.  I love when the guy in the beginning says "one more step and I blow this place up" and Sly says, "go ahead I don't shop here!" lol

The fight scene at the end was cool.

Murder.com

Honeymoon from Hell

No escape

The Hateful Eight.

I enjoyed it the same way I enjoy all Tarantino films, but I'd have to rank this one near the bottom of his films. The acting was great all the way around though. Walton Goggins, that guy jumps off the screen in everything he does.

Bone Tomahawk. I actually like this better than Hateful Eight.

4 minutes ago, J Dog said:

The Hateful Eight.

I enjoyed it the same way I enjoy all Tarantino films, but I'd have to rank this one near the bottom of his films. The acting was great all the way around though. Walton Goggins, that guy jumps off the screen in everything he does.

I really liked Hateful Eight man, i was waiting for that boy to do a more pure western and I gotta say it delivered for me.

4 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

I really liked Hateful Eight man, i was waiting for that boy to do a more pure western and I gotta say it delivered for me.

Oh I liked it. Just as far as ranking all his films, I'd have to put under Pulp Fiction and Dogs and and Jackie Brown. And probably Kill Bill. That's what I meant by ranking it in the bottom half of his films, which isn't too much of a diss since I love all his stuff, and those I rank in front of it I hold in very high regard. I'm with you on the western thing, Django didn't really do it for me as far as westerns go even though I liked it, so I was pleased with the effort with Hateful Eight.

I liked the characters and the set up and the setting. And the music, loved the music. All the actors were great. Jennifer Jason Leigh surprised me. Sam and Kurt killed it. Like I mentioned Goggins jumps off the screen. And Tim Roth, I think I could watch a movie based on his character. I could probably do without the whole heads exploding when people get shot. That stuff fit in Kill Bill but in other movies it just seems extreme.

I still think he needs to do one more western. Take Michael Madsen and give him a Man With No Name type of role. He was just made for that.

Shiner - Michael Caine, Frank Harper

Caine plays a never-was boxing promoter/gangster whoose son gets a shot at a world title.  Everything goes fucking mental from there.  Really underrated film actually, Caines performance was brilliant, you get the feeling in better hands it might've ended up an exceptionally good film, not that it's at all bad as it is.

Also watched this, starring Charles Bronson, WW2 B movie:

• Like 1

I saw Enola Gay (1980) starring Billy Crystal on YouTube today, I liked it and then I liked it even more when at the end they said how much of it was based on real events and people. Today. I saw an Hiroshima documentary last night also on YouTube. 

Watched a few films on flights to and from Toronto.

Room - Pretty good, pace seemed a little too quick, found out later it was adapted from a book so I can see how that happened.

10 Cloverfield Lane - Pleasantly surprised, great acting from the 3 of them, especially John Goodman.

Zootropolis/Zootopia - Not bad, doubt I'd see it again, first Disney film I've seen in years.

And now I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... because I saw and loved Zoolander 2.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:12 AM, J Dog said:

The Hateful Eight.

I loved this movie. Tarantino gives all his actors moments to shine and this movie is no exception. When each character would talk, I either laughed or cringed. Samuel L. Jackson's speech had me laughing and feeling horror at the same time. I was surprised by the actor who came in at the end.

Loved when the action started because it never stopped.

3 hours flew by and listening to the movie's music score made me understand how it won best Oscar. The music fit this movie perfectly. It was haunting and just seemed to fit every frame of the movie.

Excellent!

Can't wait to see what Tarantino will do next!

I watched The Green Inferno by Eli Roth. I wish I could get that hour and a half back of my life! Yuck! Terrible. Didn't care about the characters at all. Stupid for even going to another country to change things you have no business trying to change. Eli seems to be all about gore now, and not character development anymore. whatever! I'm done.

• Like 1