What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The Fog is one of my all time favorite movies of John Carpenter's. I had him sign my dvd when I met him. Also met a few other actors from the movie.

I watched The Revenant last night. OMG! What a movie! Leo and Tom Hardy were fantastic. Leo so deserved the Oscar.

also watched John Travolta in "I am wraith". Not a bad movie plenty of action.

The remake was terrible. I can't believe John Carpenter produced it. Sometimes I think he's just about the money.

The Hateful Eight is a great a movie. Tarantino just gets better and better. All the actors get to shine in his movies.

I really enjoyed it a lot. I highly recommend it.

quick story about The Fog. there is a scene where Janet Leigh is talking to someone in a bar...that bar is in a restaurant called DiNucci's which is on the way to Bodega Bay where part of the movie was filmed. i went there many years back and we had to wait in the bar for our table. the bartender was in that movie! he doesn't have a speaking part he just kinda stares at the camera during the bar scene. he was a funny guy, he told us old Playboy jokes as he served our drinks :P

22 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

that case was screwed up from the get go, imo. wow they really showed autopsy photos? that's messed up...

It wasn't too much or too gruesome. I guess the fact that you're looking at a six old girl with a rope around her neck and strangle marks, just didn't sit well.

on topic: The Killing Joke. I don't watch many animated films but this is good.

• Like 1

Just now, J Dog said:

It wasn't too much or too gruesome. I guess the fact that you're looking at a six old girl with a rope around her neck and strangle marks, just didn't sit well.

on topic: The Killing Joke. I don't watch many animated films but this is good.

i think i just saw it. i was only half paying attention cos i was checking football scores. they showed her but only like a partial shot of her face/neck area. there was a detective they had brought in and he said the marks were from a stun gun. was that the same one?

3 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Watched Cape Fear. De Niro is obviously scintillating, but Juliet Lewis is an appalling actress. Every time I see her in this film (or any other) I cringe. She appears to be mentally retarded in every single one of her roles.

julietttteespace1.jpg

28 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i think i just saw it. i was only half paying attention cos i was checking football scores. they showed her but only like a partial shot of her face/neck area. there was a detective they had brought in and he said the marks were from a stun gun. was that the same one?

Yep! Like I said, the pics themselves weren't that bad, but the whole idea behind everything makes them worse. You should try to watch the whole thing. A bunch of stuff went on that we didn't hear about, and it's all just as crazy as the stuff we know about.

Just now, J Dog said:

Yep! Like I said, the pics themselves weren't that bad, but the whole idea behind everything makes them worse. You should try to watch the whole thing. A bunch of stuff went on that we didn't hear about, and it's all just as crazy as the stuff we know about.

if i see it on again i will. i did pick up some of it here and there and it definitely caught my interest. seeing that poor baby was just too sad, she needs justice 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

if i see it on again i will. i did pick up some of it here and there and it definitely caught my interest. seeing that poor baby was just too sad, she needs justice 

Like, they had some serious suspects besides the parents. And every one of them seemed just as guilty as the parents. But, DNA cleared them all.

I doubt there will ever be justice. The police screwed up the crime scene so bad from the get go, besides a confession, I don't see them ever finding out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

She was quite brilliant in Natural Born Killers i thought!

On topic:

Ip Man 2 & 3

Mike Tyson, God love him, can't act for toffee.  Was still brilliant seeing him in it though!

I've not seen Ip Man 3 yet, but the first two are spectacular, if slight on historical reality being more a portrayal of the 'mythological' Ip Man, and to avoid recrimination from the PRC (it was actually the Chinese Communists, Ip Man was escaping when he left for Hong Kong, not as it were the Japanese). The second has a nice anti-English/colonial thing, which is often present in Kung Fu films; I grew up on Kung Fu films, so, if it isn't the evil Ching (Manchus), it is usually either the English and the other White colonial powers (cf. Once Upon A Time In China), or Japanese (Fist of Fury) as ghastly cardboard cut-out 'imperialists' being horrible to the innocent little Han Chinese.

''Wide Eyed Devil'' haha.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've not seen Ip Man 3 yet, but the first two are spectacular, if slight on historical reality being more a portrayal of the 'mythological' Ip Man, and to avoid recrimination from the PRC (it was actually the Chinese Communists, Ip Man was escaping when he left for Hong Kong, not as it were the Japanese). The second has a nice anti-English/colonial thing, which is often present in Kung Fu films; I grew up on Kung Fu films, so, if it isn't the evil Ching (Manchus), it is usually either the English and the other White colonial powers (cf. Once Upon A Time In China), or Japanese (Fist of Fury) as ghastly cardboard cut-out 'imperialists' being horrible to the innocent little Han Chinese.

''Wide Eyed Devil'' haha.

its really stirring stuff though, like yourself i grew up on Kung Fu movies but i've never known shit about the history of it so i was even more stirred by it :lol:.  To this day that 'WE ARE NOT SICK MEN' bit followed by that booming chinese music gives me goosebumps!

18 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

its really stirring stuff though, like yourself i grew up on Kung Fu movies but i've never known shit about the history of it so i was even more stirred by it :lol:.  To this day that 'WE ARE NOT SICK MEN' bit followed by that booming chinese music gives me goosebumps!

The Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese especially, are not afraid to alter their history, sufficing to say that their preoccupation is colonial repression (against themselves); now, in 90% of the these films, it is The Ching dynasty who were the imperialists. They were nomads who invaded from Manchuria in the 17th century, and infact were the last Chinese dynasty. You know that distinctive bald head/piglet hairstyle as demonstrated here, (cookie cutter evil Manchurians from Sammo Hung's 1977 classic Iron-Fisted Monk incidentally),

TheIronFistedMonk+1977-98-b.jpg

That is actually a Manchurian imposition: all Han (indigenous) Chinese were required to follow suit. The garish costumes (contrasted with the simply pyjamas) is also typical.

99.9% of Kung Fu films are basically this, evil Manchurians repressing innocent Chinese at some point in the 17th - early 18th century. The Shaolin Temple films? That place was - and this is very mythologised history - sacked by the Manchus, the few survivors managing to carry-on the Chinese fighting styles clandestine (so the people can one day rise up and overthrow the Ching).

That is about the only history you need to know haha.

And occasionally - if they are doing a later period film - they switch the Manchus for the colonial powers that began to chip away at China during the mid -19th century up until the Revolution.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

Dallas buyer's club again. The last scene with the bull is so perfect and the whole flick is just so fuckin' great. Who knew he could pull that shit so well. Shitty joker was also amazing I thought in this.

great movie! McCononaughey did a wonderful job. now he just needs to quit those Lincoln ads :lol:

There has not been a lot of good Kung Fu films since the Hong Kong film industry went tits up in the late '90s.

The golden age for (period piece) kung fu film is the late '60s - 1970s. This was when King Hu and Shaw Brothers were in their pomp and saw the birth and rise of Golden Harvest with Bruce and Mao Ying (et al.), then towards the end of the '70s it saw the short-lived comedy kung fu boom with the birth of Seasonal Films and the rise of Jackie - this continued into the early '80s for a year or two.

[The middle period was dominated by the modern set martial arts films featuring police and triads - Police Story was the seminal film here - as well as sub genre like the supernatural kung fu films (cf. Mr Vampire) and Lucky Stars series.]

Then there was a (period) Kung Fu revival in the early - mid '90s with the rise of new stars like Jet Lee and Donnie Yen, and films like Once Upon A Time In China and Iron Monkey - Chan also made Drunken Masters II in 1994.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

There has not been a lot of good Kung Fu films since the Hong Kong film industry went tits up in the late '90s.

The golden age for (period piece) kung fu film is the late '60s - 1970s. This was when King Hu and Shaw Brothers were in their pomp and saw the birth and rise of Golden Harvest with Bruce and Mao Ying (et al.), then towards the end of the '70s it saw the short-lived comedy kung fu boom with the birth of Seasonal Films and the rise of Jackie - this continued into the early '80s for a year or two.

[The middle period was dominated by the modern set martial arts films featuring police and triads - Police Story was the seminal film here - as well as sub genre like the supernatural kung fu films (cf. Mr Vampire) and Lucky Stars series.]

Then there was a (period) Kung Fu revival in the early - mid '90s with the rise of new stars like Jet Lee and Donnie Yen, and films like Once Upon A Time In China and Iron Monkey - Chan also made Drunken Masters II in 1994.

My period of expertise is 70s and into the 80s.

Vertigo (1958)

Poorly received at the time but went on to be considered by critics to be among the greatest films of all time. Unfortunately, I think that its reputation as one of the greats hurts it a little bit. It's extremely slow and probably not what most people would expect for "the greatest movie of all time" or whatever. I adore it though. Probably Hitchcock's deepest film despite not being plot heavy. Kim Novak and James Stewart are fantastic and once the film grabs you, you simply can't turn away.