was Axl addicted to heroin?

SoNobodyToldYaBaby

There seems to be a general consensus on youtube that Axl was addicted to heroin.. although Axl even said himself he wouldnt allowed himself to become an addict i even showed them the quote and they say stuff like 'of course he would deny it like all addicts' and 'you cant just believe it cause he said it'. I know Steven had a huge problem with drugs and still does to this day and Slash and Duff were really heavy drinkers which almost killed them but what about Axl?

He used it for a few months prior to them signing. He wasn't what one would call an addict, like say Slash or Izzy was.

He just tried it and luckily moved on.

Heroin is a very addictive drug and a few months using, even if not everyday, will lead to addiction. Granted, the withdrawal won't be as severe as someone pushing dope everday, but they will experience lethargy, runny nose, cramps, insomnia, ... ect.

But I have no ideal whether, or not, Rose was addicted. I do know that opioid addiction was not as taboo in the late '80s - early '90s as it is today. Too, heroin was much harder to find then as most production, that was previously coming from Afghanistan, had ceased due to Taliban prohibitions against the cultivation of opium poppy.

As a result, a lot of opiate use, then, was due prescription/pharmacy diversion, e,g; things like Dilaudid, MS Contin, Roxanol, Sufentanil, Fentanyl, ... ect. Keep in mind, some of those drugs are 10 to hundreds of times more potent than heroin(diacetylmorphine).

He used it for a few months prior to them signing. He wasn't what one would call an addict, like say Slash or Izzy was.

Heroin is a very addictive drug and a few months using, even if not everyday, will lead to addiction. Granted, the withdrawal won't be as severe as someone pushing dope everday, but they will experience lethargy, runny nose, cramps, insomnia, ... ect.

But I have no ideal whether, or not, Rose was addicted. I do know that opioid addiction was not as taboo in the late '80s - early '90s as it is today. Too, heroin was much harder to find then as most production, that was previously coming from Afghanistan, had ceased due to Taliban prohibitions against the cultivation of opium poppy.

As a result, a lot of opiate use, then, was due prescription/pharmacy diversion, e,g; things like Dilaudid, MS Contin, Roxanol, Sufentanil, Fentanyl, ... ect. Keep in mind, some of those drugs are 10 to hundreds of times more potent than heroin(diacetylmorphine).

As far as Axl. I'm only going by what Marc has said and by some random statements from those close to Axl and Axl. I think he said it just wasn't his thing. Slash may have mentioned something similar in his book as well. I also think if he was an addict at some point, he would have struggled with it a bit as the band took off. That's just my opinion though. Some people can just walk away from it.

Maybe he used it twice a week,idk? I know you can develope withdrawl symptoms after a few days of steady use

I'm not afraid to admit I know way to much about opiate addiction, if ya know what I mean. (I don't do anything anymore) :).

I would imagine most dope going into LA back then would come from Asia or through Mexico, but I honestly don't know for sure. I would only add, any addict can find they're drug in any town, especially a city like LA.

After the Soviets withdrew and the Taliban took over, heroin production took off as a means for them to make money. Afghanistan is/was the leading producer of heroin under the Taliban.

And to hell with pills, I agree 100%, there more dangerous than anything.

Edited by T.wa.T

Addiction is not guranteed to happen, and you can be a functioning person if you keep your heroin habit under control. Just as not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, not everyone who dopes is a dope addict. That said, it is one of the harder drugs out there to keep control of and it addicts fairly easily.

Most people don't believe in functioning dope users since the overwhelming majority of depictions in the media and pop culture show heroin users as hopeless junkies. Heroin, probably more than any other drug, gets used as a plot decide in movies, books, and other stories to represent self-destruction. A character who tries heroin in a movie or a novel will inevitably become addicted and will have no hope of survival unless someone intervenes and saves them.

That experience is accurate for many heroin users but by no means all of them. Axl's description of his occasional uses of it and his refusal to allow himself to make it a habit certainly is plausible. Yeah, maybe it could be the empty boasting of an an addict, if that statement was all we had to go on. The real key is to look at what the other guys in the band, and other people close to him, said about Axl's drug habits. I don't have the quotes in hand but I'm pretty sure a couple of them said Axl was not in the same boat as they were as far as substance addictions.

I don't think he had a terrible problem with it. Considering his best friend (Izzy) sold it out his window Axl had easy access. With the money he eventually made and doing it, it is truly amazing that he never had a serious problem with it.... Thankfully.

Edited by jimb0

There's a picture of Axl on the backstage of a concert back on the 90s. There's a bag of weed on the table.

There's a picture from the 2010 South American Tour where you can clearly see Vanessa holding a glorious bag of marijuana.

And some people say Axl was clearly drugged on Rock in Rio.

He perhaps enjoys some pot every once in a while. Who doesn't? :lol:

I think Axl was pretty open about it back then. If I remember correctly , he said he did it for a week with some girl and they had a great time fucking and doing heroin but he just made himself stop after that because he wouldn't allow/didn't want to become addicted.Slash has also said on more than one occasion that Axl was never addicted to anything. I don't see why either one of them would have a reason to lie, it's not like they had to protect a squeaky clean image or anything, the other guys drug use was very well known even back then.They weren't exactly into hiding their chemical intake or addictions at the time.I think Axl probably tried or dabbled with every drug but as far as anything I've ever heard, he was never an addict of anything.

Addiction is not guranteed to happen, and you can be a functioning person if you keep your heroin habit under control.

Strongly disagree my dude. And comparing alcohol to heroin is like apples and oranges.

Being a heroin addict means heroin is the number one thing if your life, you let something like that be number one in your life you are never in control.

Axl even said himself he wouldnt allowed himself to become an addict.

I think there's certainly signs that he's got some kind of problem with substance abuse these days. Probably not anything major but it's certainly affecting his physical fitness if recent photographs are anything to go by.

After the Soviets withdrew and the Taliban took over, heroin production took off as a means for them to make money. Afghanistan is/was the leading producer of heroin under the Taliban.

And to hell with pills, I agree 100%, there more dangerous than anything.

Initially yes, but as the Talibs gained control, they prohibited the growing of poppy

EDIT: to add, not a lot of heroin was coming out of Mexico in the late 80s, and what did was mostly the black tar. Re the Asian dope: a lot of that China White was actually not heroin- it was sublimaze.

Addiction is not guranteed to happen, and you can be a functioning person if you keep your heroin habit under control. Just as not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, not everyone who dopes is a dope addict.

You're confusing apples and oranges. Opioid addiction is a completely different animal than addiction to most other drugs in that the addiction is physical; not psychological(it is psychological too, but). And yes, everyone that abuses opioids, if they abuse them for a few weeks, will developed Opioid Withdrawal Syndrome.

Edited by Thelonious

Axl even said himself he wouldnt allowed himself to become an addict.

I think there's certainly signs that he's got some kind of problem with substance abuse these days. Probably not anything major but it's certainly affecting his physical fitness if recent photographs are anything to go by.

Think it's just booze and watered-down fitness regimen, tbh. He was in great shape in 2006 with his kickboxing and whatnot.

Think it's just booze and watered-down fitness regimen, tbh. He was in great shape in 2006 with his kickboxing and whatnot.

Agreed but he's clearly drinking too much and it's affecting his ability to perform.

neither Slash nor enyone else from the band ever accused Axl of being an addict. and they would certainly do if they had a chance, especially after "it will be the last show if certain members of the band will not stop dancing with Mr. Brownstone" episode

Edited by netcat

Agreed but he's clearly drinking too much and it's affecting his ability to perform.

I think part of the reason why he didn't do publicity for ChiDem and made appearances was because he gained weight. He's got that cane when he's walking around and probably needs knee surgery or a hip replacement, and needs a year of down time, which he's put off.

One of the questions they should be asking Axl is "what's up with the cane"?

I have a cousin whose addicted to heroin, and you can tell pretty easily. If you need to question if someone is addicted, they're probably not. Severe shortness of breath, droopy weak appearance, scabs from picking at themselves, slurred speech, no motivation, no hygiene, etc.

I think axl drinks, but I don't think he's addicted. When you're heavilly addicted to alcohol you drink so much you stop eating and actually lose wieght. I think if he ever had an alcohol addiction, it would be the late 90's to early 2000s. There are some scary looking pictures from the end of 2001 of axl.

I have a cousin whose addicted to heroin, and you can tell pretty easily. If you need to question if someone is addicted, they're probably not. Severe shortness of breath, droopy weak appearance, scabs from picking at themselves, slurred speech, no motivation, no hygiene, etc.

Your anecdote is not representative of addicts. The symptoms you describe are not from opiate intoxication or addiction. I have personally known scientists, health care workers(including doctors and nurses), legal professionals(including attorneys), business professionals, and many others.

Unless one is intimately associated opiate abuse treatment, or spent a lot of time with addicts, there is no way one could determine if someone is "using" without specific tests. One thing I know for sure- what you are describing is not a manifestation of opiate abuse.

In some of those reality cop shows the cops themselves can't determine is someone is intoxicated by, simply, looking at them, so they have them cover their eyes, and then, uncover them, quickly. The premise behind the practice is that opiate use decreases pupil size; darkness increases pupil size. If a person is not "using", and they cover their eyes, the pupils will be large when uncovered... as opposed to "pin like" if intoxicated.