Should we boycott the New GNR band?

AndreCC

Sad that this is even a topic.

I hope Axl, Beta and her children are checking out the forum and seeing the reaction to their recent "update" about the band.

Axl still has millions of fans that would love to be supporting him. Buying his records, buying merchandise, going to concerts, spreading positive comments........but for some weird reason, Axl, Beta and her kids are anti-fan. Wonder why they just want to ride the cash gravy train and not move GnR forward at all? Wonder why they don't care about Axl's millions of fans? It's a real shame for music lovers.

It is disappointing that the band hasn't shown any progress towards new releases.

You know how they probably developed such a distaste for this forum and its users though?

Someone from the GNR camp probably logs in to take a look every now and then, see what's up. How'd they like that latest show we just did? We had a lot of fun at it, we had saw people in the crowd having the time of their lives, it feels great to be working with GNR.

They skim around for twenty minutes and they are while there are some well-reasoned criticisms for the band by people who are obviously fans who just want to hear the new music, those sorts of posts are outnumbered at least ten to one by posts like this:

"Axl is fat. Axl needs to work out. Axl's voice sounds like shit. He sounds like Mickey Mouse. Where's the rasp? Axl looks like shit. Axl's hats are stupid. Axl's moustache is stupid. Axl's set list sucks. His band sucks. The solos suck. DJ sucks and looks like a hooray for tolerance!. DJ fucks up the solos. DJ does that fucking stupid ear thing on Welcome to the Jungle that makes me want to punch him the dick. Bumblefoot sucks. He doesn't play with tone. He doesn't play with soul. He just shreds. His solo songs suck. Dizzy sucks. Why is he even in the band anymore? Why is Chris Pitman in the band anymore? Beta sucks. Beta should stick to cleaning toilets. Beta is a cunt. Team Brazil sucks. Team Brazil hates the fans. Team Brazil is ruining GNR. DJ Ashba is ruining GNR. Axl is ruining GNR. GNR is dead. This isn't GNR. Axl sounds awful. Listen to this Youtube video, Axl sounds awful. This concert sucked. This tour sucked. This tour should have ended years ago. The setlist was the same and it sucks.Fuck Axl. Fuck Nu Guns. Fuck Chinese Democracy. Fuck Axl."

Then this person from the GNR camp is like, "I don't get it. I was just at that concert, everyone there loved it. Who the hell are these people anyway? We worked real hard to put on that show and everyone there had a great time. Most of these people weren't even there. What the fuck?"

Then they see a bunch of stupid joke threads and they don't really get why people like posting such stupid topics since they haven't been around on MyGNR enough to learn the culture, to learn who's being satirical, who's just trying to amuse people because there's nothing else to talk about, and who's just a cupcake or attention whore that no one on the forum actually likes or respects.

They decide, "What a waste of time. These people are idiots, these people are bitter, these people will never be satisfied with anything we do. Fuck them. I'm going to talk to people who are intelligent and respectful who won't piss all over everything me, the band, and the rest of the crew work for." And they log out and don't come back.

And then later when they're bored and just swapping stories with someone else on the crew, the other guy agrees, "Yeah, I went on that forum once. Those guys are dicks, don't worry about them. I heard that Bumblefoot went on there one time and these people were total assholes. Calling him a pussy and shit."

Thus, the picture they get of MyGNR is not really accurate, but it's very easy to understand how they can get such a negative perception of it.

Edited by Flayer
  • Like 1

Blunoze may have a point about the hardcore fan(atic) base versus the millions of casual fans who just about care enough to like the Facebook page. I don't think Axl has ever liked the type of fans who obsess enough to pick over his bones on internet forums, I think this is the reason he doesn't even bother with HTGTH. In real terms it's the casual fans, at least at this point in time, that represent the majority of his concert audience and therefore bring the money in. If all the GnR forums ceased to be tomorrow would it have any impact on him at all? I'm not sure it would.

If all the GnR forums ceased to be tomorrow would it have any impact on him at all? I'm not sure it would.

I think it might make life easier for the guys in the band if all the forums vanished. Must be difficult knowing every single word you say will be trancribed onto a dedicated fan forum for thousands of people to question, praise, analyse, get butthurt over.... I don't think the forums benefit GNR in the slightest. If they disappeared overnight everyone would just follow on facebook, twitter or sign up for their newsletter anyway. What benefit to GNR does Mygnr, Htgth, Evo, GnfnRoses etc offer?

It would probably be healthier for a lot of fans too. Atfer a few weeks without giving your daily $0.02, and seeing that GNR continues on regardless of your absense, you'd realise just how little they value your personal opinion. (Not aimed at you personally, aimed at all of us really)

Edited by downliner

Don't want to be negative at all, quite frankly i would prefer not to feel this way.

But as of the last announcement, we get the picture that nothing is actually coming out in a long time, and that we're going to have another 1-4 years of silence time span...

Anyone that has been following the band will know that if the band plans on doing something in 2014, it will end up coming true 2 or 3 or more years later.

I don't know if some of you share the same opinion, but i feel this has come to a drastic ridiculous point.

We have to admit that Axl has completely destroyed the good name of Guns N'Roses with his antics and let's face it, for this it would be better if GNR didn't even exist at this point.

My question to you is:

Should we completely boycott this band from now on? Should we don't even mention this new band and anything to do with it and solely speak about the Original GNR band.

What will be the point of devoting our time to the new band since nothing ever comes out of it successfully?!

Let's face it, they are a completely new band that should be on this project with the mindset that they should start from zero cause obviously none of the members have been part of GNR history besides Axl... even Axl himself should have that mindset and be humble enough to start from scratch, yet they act as if they were the "Classic Status" band that the name portrays all at the Original band's cost and do whatever they want to, which only damages the name further.

I don't mean to cupcake with this post at all, just serious discussion. Honestly i think it came to that point...

Let's see here....

Dizzy, Bumblefoot, Pitman, Fortus, and Stinson have all contributed to GnR history on CD, some even more.

Pitman, Fortus, Stinson and Dizzy have all been in the band longer than slash.

As I said earlier, all "boycotting" GN'R will do, and this is assuming we even get enough fans to boycott, would drive Axl back into his whole effectively assuring us all that we will never hear CD II, or see the DVD, or even see a GN'R show again, at least not in Axl's lifetime.

The only time to boycott something is when you have a full understanding of the situation (not just rampant speculations and rumor) and disagree on a moral/ethical level.

Now unless one of you is actually part of the GNR camp and have information that would fully explain, in irrefutable details, why we should boycott new GNR then go ahead, have your say and let people make their own judgment based on the facts.

What I refuse to do is base my decisions on "he said, she said", misread innuendo and blatant non truths.

Dont support GNR till they release new material??? Yeah, cause I imagine Axl is just champing at the bit to release a new song to people who have denounced the lineup of the band he has fronted for nearly 30 years.

Don't want to be negative at all, quite frankly i would prefer not to feel this way.

But as of the last announcement, we get the picture that nothing is actually coming out in a long time, and that we're going to have another 1-4 years of silence time span...

Anyone that has been following the band will know that if the band plans on doing something in 2014, it will end up coming true 2 or 3 or more years later.

I don't know if some of you share the same opinion, but i feel this has come to a drastic ridiculous point.

We have to admit that Axl has completely destroyed the good name of Guns N'Roses with his antics and let's face it, for this it would be better if GNR didn't even exist at this point.

My question to you is:

Should we completely boycott this band from now on? Should we don't even mention this new band and anything to do with it and solely speak about the Original GNR band.

What will be the point of devoting our time to the new band since nothing ever comes out of it successfully?!

Let's face it, they are a completely new band that should be on this project with the mindset that they should start from zero cause obviously none of the members have been part of GNR history besides Axl... even Axl himself should have that mindset and be humble enough to start from scratch, yet they act as if they were the "Classic Status" band that the name portrays all at the Original band's cost and do whatever they want to, which only damages the name further.

I don't mean to cupcake with this post at all, just serious discussion. Honestly i think it came to that point...

Let's see here....

Dizzy, Bumblefoot, Pitman, Fortus, and Stinson have all contributed to GnR history on CD, some even more.

So you're saying that if i have been working for a company longer than anyone else that i should be in the board of directors and not distributing the mail?

They can all be in GN'R for another 40 years if they don't create music that is on par with WTTJ, SCOM, Nightrain and November Rain(solos) they won't be in the same league as Slash.

Edited by Loaded

everyone on this forum could boycott but it would not cause a dent in the amount of fans going to gnr shows. their is enough soccer moms and casual fans who will want to hear sweet child o mine for the millionth time, and do not care about new music.

Just goes to prove my point is that people feel entitled to another album, The fact is that they don't owe us anything. Axl will create art when he is good and ready and has something to say. Songs don't come from nowhere. You know there is nothing that says that he just can't walk way from this all together either.

What you have to come to terms with, is that as a fanbase we a powerless. Many bands heed to everything their hardcores say, but GNR are actively boycotting us.

In a sense the boycott has already happened and has been happening since 1996 when Slash quit, and since 2001 for those who had faith in the new band. As Axl screws up again-and-again, more and more fans quit and the band are left reduced to playing bowling allys.

My question to you is:

Let's see here....

Really? what exactly did they contribute? 14 songs? :max:

In a sense the boycott has already happened and has been happening since 1996 when Slash quit, and since 2001 for those who had faith in the new band. As Axl screws up again-and-again, more and more fans quit and the band are left reduced to playing bowling allys.

I agree, the vast majority of the public have boycotted GNR since it became Slashless. Sure they may tokenly go to the gigs and take in the nostalgia, but would they fork out money for a GNR record featuring the current line-up? Chinese Democracy sold relatively well on the basis of intrigue, which evaporated quite quickly.

The only people with a true regard for modern day GNR have been boycotted and sneered at by Axl and management.

Sure, Axl could have handled many things better than he has, but he hasn't destroyed GNR. He could have done sooooooo many things worse than he has done. He could be releasing generic boring rock albums every year and no one would care. Instead he released one album that was good enough to not eliminate the GNR fanbase. And when it comes to GNR standards, that's a very big accomplishment. He could also have released albums full of Silkworms type songs. Now that would have destroyed the good name of GNR. He could also have released a re-recorded version of Paradise City with Fergie on vocals.

We don't know what Axl is doing right now. If he is writing new songs that are as good as the old stuff (including Chinese Democracy stuff) then it's a million times better that GNR still exists compared to that it didn't exist. The more great songs there are in this world, the better.

I admit that sometimes I'm just as frustrated as any fan when there's no news. But Axl doesn't owe us anything. Just because he happened to release a couple of great records doesn't mean that he has to spend the rest of his life pleasing his fans. He is free to take a brake and enjoy other stuff in life than just writing music and touring.

I'm not gonna boycott the band just because of that. Okay, I'm probably not gonna go to a GNR concert if they come to my country. But that's not because I boycott them. That's because I just don't care if there's no new music. Besides I've never really cared that much of concerts anyway. It's the albums that interest me more.

Guest cbgnr666

So, a few days ago we were discussing the questions we wanted to ask Axl all in good spirits and now some of those people are supporting a "boycott GNR" flag. Do you guys realize how ridiculous and contradictory you are :wacko: ?

That's ok its really funny to read people's stories.