The Beatles

luciusfunk

Couldn't really find a thread that's not comparing something.

I heard a song by The Offspring on the radio and thought it sounded like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", so I decided to read about the song and found this:

"Lennon left the studio during a recording of the song (after several days and literally dozens of takes of the song, trying different tempos and styles), then returned while under the influence of marijuana, went immediately to the piano and played the opening chords much louder and faster than before. He claimed that was how the song should be played, and that is the version they ended up using."

:lol:

Full length Beatles albums from best to worst, imo:

1. Abbey Road (10)
2. Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band (9.8)
3. Rubber Soul (9.6)
4. Revolver (9.5)
5. Magical Mystery Tour (9.2)
6. A Hard Day's Night (9.0)
7. Help! (8.6)
8. The White Album (8.5)
9. Please Please Me (8.3)
10. With the Beatles (7.7)
11. Beatles for Sale (7.3)
12. Let it Be (Naked) (7.0)
13. Let it Be (6.0)
(if it counts) 14. Yellow Submarine (3.0)

I imagine I'll get some shit for underrating the White Album, so be it.
  • Like 1

Not from me. I've always thought The White Album was a little overrated compared to their other albums.

For me to do an actual ranking I'd have to go through them all again. I haven't listed to Revolver or Rubber Soul in ages, but "Norwegian Wood" was always a favorite of mine.

Full length Beatles albums from best to worst, imo:

1. Abbey Road (10)

2. Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band (9.8)

3. Rubber Soul (9.6)

4. Revolver (9.5)

5. Magical Mystery Tour (9.2)

6. A Hard Day's Night (9.0)

7. Help! (8.6)

8. The White Album (8.5)

9. Please Please Me (8.3)

10. With the Beatles (7.7)

11. Beatles for Sale (7.3)

12. Let it Be (Naked) (7.0)

13. Let it Be (6.0)

(if it counts) 14. Yellow Submarine (3.0)

I imagine I'll get some shit for underrating the White Album, so be it.

Favourites...

Help

Rubber Soul

Beatles for Sale (underated in my opinion. This is the record with No Reply, I'm a Loser and Babys in Black on it)

Revolver

With the Beatles

Abbey Rd (my favourite of the later albums).

Least favourites...

Let it Be

White Album

And Yellow Submarine

The white album is really just a bunch of solo songs played by one or more Beatles.

I heard a song by The Offspring on the radio and thought it sounded like "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", so I decided to read about the song and found this:

"Lennon left the studio during a recording of the song (after several days and literally dozens of takes of the song, trying different tempos and styles), then returned while under the influence of marijuana, went immediately to the piano and played the opening chords much louder and faster than before. He claimed that was how the song should be played, and that is the version they ended up using."

That laughing at the end was a "thank God it's over" one. John wanted to get the song over with after a bunch of takes, the White Album sessions were tense as fuck. Emerick and Ringo quit during the White Album sessions.

Throughout the preceding weeks I had noticed that John's behavior was becoming increasingly erratic — his mood swings were more severe, and they were occurring more frequently. That was definitely the case with the recording of 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.' One moment he'd be into it, acting the fool and doing his fake Jamaican patois, the next minute he'd be sulking and grumbling about how the song was more of Paul's 'granny music shit.' [...] So when Paul announced several nights later that he wanted to scrap everything that had been done so far and start the song again from scratch, John went ballistic. Ranting and raving, he headed out the door, with Yoko trailing closely behind, and we thought that we'd seen the last of him that evening. But a few hours later he stormed back into the studio, clearly in a highly altered state of mind. 'I AM FUCKING STONED!!' John Lennon bellowed from the top of the stairs. [...] 'I am more stoned than you have ever been. In fact, I am more stoned than you will ever be!' [...] 'And this,' Lennon added with a snarl, 'is how the fucking song should go.' Unsteadily, he lurched down the stairs and over to the piano and began smashing the keys with all his might, pounding out the famous opening chords that became the song's introduction, played at a breakneck tempo. [...] 'Okay, then, John,' [McCartney] said in short, clipped words, staring his deranged bandmate straight in the eye. 'Let's do it your way.' [...] The remake, I had to admit, was quite good.

—Geoff Emerick

http://www.beatleswiki.com/wiki/index.php/Ob-La-Di,_Ob-La-Da

Guest Len B'stard

Each Beatles album is as good as the other, full stop. My personal favorite has gotta be Please Please Me though. That and With The Beatles. I love em all equally really but i mean if i was really pushed for an answer, it's why i love The Beatles, i can sling on any one of their albums at any track and each song unto itself is like, legendary. Sounds like bluster and hyperbole on my part but it's not, they really are/were that fuckin' good, they had it all, the songs, the songwriting, the look, the wit, the style, the arrogance everything you need to have a perfect band.

Lock McCartney and Lennon in a room together and i reckon, on any given day they could pop out 8 to 10 hours later with an albums worth of songs better than anything heard in the last however many years, they were just too cool for school, they were like the Muhammad Ali's of pop music.

The famous Ali-Beatles meeting. They took those photos and when Clay was leaving he turned to one of his guys and said, ''so, who were those fags?'' He literally had not heard of the Beatles! Also, Sonny Liston was apparently watching the Beatles from the side when they were playing Ed Sullivan and he said, ''my dog can play drums better than the kid with the big nose.'

Guest Len B'stard

Also, John Lennon didn't wanna meet him, thought he was a loudmouth and an idiot and was like 'we should be meeting the champion!' (Sonny Liston). Ali dropped his famous 'you ain't as dumb as you look!' line on em to which Lennon replied 'no, but you are!'.

Funnily enough, Sonny Liston ended up starring in The Monkees movie, an interesting move considering they were always considered like, a pale Beatles immitation.

Has the offspring song "why don't you get a job?" ever admitted to being a direct ripoff? I discovered this one day by accident. I always felt the offspring song sounded awfully familiar but didn't put the pieces together untill I heard them back to back on my mp3 player one day. It was on shuffle, so it was complete luck. I then proceeded to listen to them both over and over again. I was always amazed by this complete theivery. They are litterally the same damn song, just different lyrics.

I know a few different women that really like offspring, and this song. One girl liked it so much that it was her call back ring tone. I had to be the one to set the record straight and tell them that they stole that song. But maybe thats what I should do? Play the music to come together but completly change the lyrics, make a hit song, make loads of money, and fool the world in the process.

I just checked wiki and they say it was "influenced" by obli di olbla da. That is horse shit. It's the biggest ripoff that I have ever heard, and I say that as a huge zeppelin fan. Zeppelin did steal many things, but they always made them their own. But this song is a complete ripoff, plain and simple.

Edited by Mike420

Has the offspring song "why don't you get a job?" ever admitted to being a direct ripoff? I discovered this one day by accident. I always felt the offspring song sounded awfully familiar but didn't put the pieces together untill I heard them back to back on my mp3 player one day. It was on shuffle, so it was complete luck. I then proceeded to listen to them both over and over again. I was always amazed by this complete theivery. They are litterally the same damn song, just different lyrics.

I know a few different women that really like offspring, and this song. One girl liked it so much that it was her call back ring tone. I had to be the one to set the record straight and tell them that they stole that song. But maybe thats what I should do? Play the music to come together but completly change the lyrics, make a hit song, make loads of money, and fool the world in the process.

I just checked wiki and they say it was "influenced" by obli di olbla da. That is horse shit. It's the biggest ripoff that I have ever heard, and I say that as a huge zeppelin fan. Zeppelin did steal many things, but they always made them their own. But this song is a complete ripoff, plain and simple.

Never heard that Offspring song, but man is that a ripoff if I've ever heard one. Other times people have sued -- successfully -- over people ripping off their songs and I've just never really heard it, but this one is without a doubt a copy.

Wiki also mentions "Cecilia" by Simon & Garfunkel. I'm not extremely familiar with that song, and I've only heard The Offspring song that one time.

That laughing at the end was a "thank God it's over" one. John wanted to get the song over with after a bunch of takes, the White Album sessions were tense as fuck. Emerick and Ringo quit during the White Album sessions.

Throughout the preceding weeks I had noticed that John's behavior was becoming increasingly erratic his mood swings were more severe, and they were occurring more frequently. That was definitely the case with the recording of 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.' One moment he'd be into it, acting the fool and doing his fake Jamaican patois, the next minute he'd be sulking and grumbling about how the song was more of Paul's 'granny music shit.' [...] So when Paul announced several nights later that he wanted to scrap everything that had been done so far and start the song again from scratch, John went ballistic. Ranting and raving, he headed out the door, with Yoko trailing closely behind, and we thought that we'd seen the last of him that evening. But a few hours later he stormed back into the studio, clearly in a highly altered state of mind. 'I AM FUCKING STONED!!' John Lennon bellowed from the top of the stairs. [...] 'I am more stoned than you have ever been. In fact, I am more stoned than you will ever be!' [...] 'And this,' Lennon added with a snarl, 'is how the fucking song should go.' Unsteadily, he lurched down the stairs and over to the piano and began smashing the keys with all his might, pounding out the famous opening chords that became the song's introduction, played at a breakneck tempo. [...] 'Okay, then, John,' [McCartney] said in short, clipped words, staring his deranged bandmate straight in the eye. 'Let's do it your way.' [...] The remake, I had to admit, was quite good.

Geoff Emerick

http://www.beatleswiki.com/wiki/index.php/Ob-La-Di,_Ob-La-Da

I would love to have been there. Edited by luciusfunk

Never heard that Offspring song, but man is that a ripoff if I've ever heard one. Other times people have sued -- successfully -- over people ripping off their songs and I've just never really heard it, but this one is without a doubt a copy.

It's more "in the spirit of". A lot of rock bands, including The Beatles, blatantly did it and got sued.

Am I the only one who hears a similarity? I was a member of a Kevin Max forum for about seven years before it closed down, and very few people agreed with me on this one. But most of them were worse than so-called "Axlites".

He's got another song that, as a demo, was a complete ripoff of Imagine. The finished version sounds nothing like it though. I can't find the demo on YouTube, so : shrugs:

Edited by luciusfunk

Guest Len B'stard

It's more "in the spirit of". A lot of rock bands, including The Beatles, blatantly did it and got sued.

The Beatles were the best ripper off-ers in the world, their excellence at it reflected by no one clocked a lot of it until they pointed it out and when they point it out it's like 'how the fuck did i not see that?!?!' Like for instance the 'c'mon c'mons' in Please Please Me are just pure Roy Orbison, as Paul rightly pointed out. They were on the bus with him at the time, working a bill alongside Helen Shapiro.

The Beatles were the best ripper off-ers in the world, their excellence at it reflected by no one clocked a lot of it until they pointed it out and when they point it out it's like 'how the fuck did i not see that?!?!' Like for instance the 'c'mon c'mons' in Please Please Me are just pure Roy Orbison, as Paul rightly pointed out. They were on the bus with him at the time, working a bill alongside Helen Shapiro.

The funniest one is how George Harrison wound up owning the publishing to "He's So Fine".

The funniest one is how George Harrison wound up owning the publishing to "He's So Fine".

Or how Allen Klein thought he could get away with switching sides during the trial :lol: