The Beatles

luciusfunk

The Beatles are the greatest band ever IMO, I put them up there with Zeppelin. I love every album they made, but the first one that turned me on to them was actually Help and not songs like lucy in the sky or let it be; I started listening to them at about the age of 10, so it's been a long time! I love the Magical Mystery Tour album and Sgt. Peppers too, but Help and Rubber Soul are awesome, specially Rubber Soul. I think that they just created this sort of mixture of folk and rock n roll that was later used by every band in the 70's. Revolver is also a great album, they probably created the psychedelic genre with that one. Then, I listened to Abbey Road. I mean, WOW, what a fucking great album that was!

It had everything. Everything was so well done and made! And up until that point I only listened to like Guns N Roses and Nirvana, so you could imagine how I must have felt with this huge sounding difference between these bands. Abbey Road is the highest point in musical history IMO and I think the only band that could come close to that was like Led Zeppelin with songs like Kashmir and Carouselambra. Anyways, hats off to the Beatles.

Am I the only one who hears a similarity? I was a member of a Kevin Max forum for about seven years before it closed down, and very few people agreed with me on this one. But most of them were worse than so-called "Axlites".

He's got another song that, as a demo, was a complete ripoff of Imagine. The finished version sounds nothing like it though. I can't find the demo on YouTube, so : shrugs:

I definitely hear what you're talking about with that Kevin Max song, but I'm not sure it's enough the same to say it's a ripoff. But it's definitely based off of it.

But if you say that's a ripoff, then you might have to call a lot of other songs Beatles ripoffs, too, like Cheap Trick's "If You Want My Love" being kind of a rip off of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

Check 1:09 to 1:27, especially, but much of the rest of the song, too.

And compare to this. There are many elements of the Cheap Trick songs that are basically a sped-up version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

Cheap Trick have always been pretty up front about how much they were influenced by The Beatles, though. And for the record, I love Cheap Trick and have seen them many times.

Loved them from the first time I saw them on the Ed Sullivan show.

John was my favorite because he was funny and I think he had the best voice. My all time favorite Beatle song is " You've got to hide your love away". I love that song and wish it would have been longer. John sounds amazing singing it. It's just one of those songs that really touches you.

I loved their two movies too. They were all so special in their own way and the music world was so much better with them in it.

Since I noticed the sig bacardi, I have to ask...thoughts on that mixtape?

The good tracks are good, but there's a lot of shit. A lot of times it's listenable just because it's like listening to two good songs at once, but when they work it's magical.

Yeah, some of the choices they use are kinda weird and don't really work. The Hey Jude/We Major mashup is gold, however.

Also if anyone else wants to listen: http://www.audiomack.com/album/tutankhamun-brothers/whats-a-black-beatle

• 2 months later...

What I really love about Revolver was that whilst it was dead bang in the middle of their golden era, the songwriting is at its most solid point. I can't help but blow my lungs out singing to that album everytime in the car. Not saying I don't for my other two favourites, Abbey Road and Peppers, but just moreso with Revolver.

I just kinda hate it when people say Peppers is the best because odds are they're merely regurgitating what some critic said :lol:

What I really love about Revolver was that whilst it was dead bang in the middle of their golden era, the songwriting is at its most solid point. I can't help but blow my lungs out singing to that album everytime in the car. Not saying I don't for my other two favourites, Abbey Road and Peppers, but just moreso with Revolver.

I just kinda hate it when people say Peppers is the best because odds are they're merely regurgitating what some critic said :lol:

I guess people (like me) who weren't old enough to remember Sgt Pepper's actually coming out don't properly understand what a big deal it was, though I tend to agree.

Abbey Road, White Album and Let It Be would definitely be my favourites, at the risk of sounding like "one of those people".

They are a bit more hit and miss than the earlier stuff but stuff like "You Never Give Me Your Money" is just fucking incredible...I have a real thing for "Rocky Racoon" too

The ironic thing is, so many people (critics, journos, fans) for such a long time have went, ''revolver or rubber soul are much superior to the overated Sgt Pepper'' - as if they are being trendy and kicking convention in the balls - that, it is probably more trendy and unconvential these days to cite Sgt Pepper as the greatest Beatles album! Me? I like Help and, ehh, Rubber Soul.

• Like 1

I loved The White Album when I first bought it, but since then it's been kinda...meh as a whole.

I hear that. I first heard it when I was 8 but it's one of those albums that's just sort of reinvented itself to me over and over. I think that's why it sticks with me as #1.

Guest Len B'stard

I think every Beatles album is flawless. Thats why they are so great, there's not one bad song on any one of their albums. Sounds like hyperbole but i truly believe that and i can (and have, Lord, have i :lol:) break it down album by album song by song and tell you why i think they are all so perfect, thats why they are, along with The Sex Pistols, the greatest band ever, cuz all the songs were perfect, the attitude was perfect, every member played his part and did his thing uniquely perfect, there simply is no comparison to The Beatles as far as bands go, no comparison at all.

It's fantastic for me as a fan because depending on the time any of their albums at any given time could be my favorite, i just have love for all of them and have at one point of another gone through an obssessive period with each and every one of their albums.

Meet The Beatles is probably my favorite...that and A Hard Days Night...and Help...9 songs off of Help were written over one weekend, FUCK ME, how amazing is that?!?!?!?! White Album is fantastic too...their debut just knocks my fuckin' socks off and is probably their most underrated album. In fact, you could call the debut my favorite. This is just a pointless exercise for me because to me they are all evens. Just love em, love em all.

None of their albums are meh, nothing they ever did was meh, they were just totally 100 million percent the best thing that ever happened to popular music, along with the aforementioned Sex Pistols.

Edited by sugaraylen

With The Beatles vs Meet The Beatles, Lenny? I'd go the latter for the fact that it is more Lennon/McCartney, less covers but it ain't a proper album to me still not being British release and that.

That being Til There Was You is my favourite on there, hands down. Great vocal from Paul.