The Beatles

luciusfunk

Guest Len B'stard

Sorry, WITH The Beatles, the one that begins with 'It Won't Be Long'. That album is one of the most joyous albums I've ever heard, it just sounds like...infectiously over the moon, celebratory, jumped up, it just leaps out the speakers at you.

The debut is probably my favorite, thinking about it, Chains, Anna, Saw Her Standing There, all fuckin top notch tracks, they just burn right through it, 14 hour session just roaring through em, wonderful :).

They were that sick they wrote In Spite of All the Danger aged like, 15 and its better than most artists fuckin' best...and its a ballad too, not some thickhead rocker.

Edited by sugaraylen

Ain't Chains a Goffin/King track from memory?

Fuckin love With the Beatles hence why I got a 3 metre long canvas of it in.me room but with Ringos head in line with the others. Defintely agree on the joyous ting. You just chuck it on and fuck your lungs harder than a pack of Benny Hedgehogs for the next arthur.

I also listened to McCartney's new solo album this week, I enjoyed it. Seemed almost like a back to roots album, but with modern elements. It left me feeling like if the Beatles were still together, this is the kind of album they'd be putting out.

• 8 months later...
Full length Beatles albums from best to worst, imo:

1. Abbey Road (10)

2. Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band (9.8)

3. Rubber Soul (9.6)

4. Revolver (9.5)

5. Magical Mystery Tour (9.2)

6. A Hard Day's Night (9.0)

7. Help! (8.6)

8. The White Album (8.5)

9. Please Please Me (8.3)

10. With the Beatles (7.7)

11. Beatles for Sale (7.3)

12. Let it Be (Naked) (7.0)

13. Let it Be (6.0)

(if it counts) 14. Yellow Submarine (3.0)

I imagine I'll get some shit for underrating the White Album, so be it.

I actually think The White Album should be lower. Some great songs on there but some not so great. A lot of them needed reworking. Albums like Please Please Me and With the Beatles were more cohesive. And Let It Be (Naked) is superior to the orignal Let It Be. I don't even count the original as a real album, it felt unfinished.

Abbey Road and Sgt. Peppers just proved how much of a genius Paul is. He really knew how to channel the band's talent. Lennon just wanted to rock and roll.

A couple of songs on The White Album was just Paul fucking around in the studio. The only reason Wild Honey Pie made the cut because Patti Boyd liked it. I guess he couldn't say no to her. Damn she was a fine looking woman.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

Full length Beatles albums from best to worst, imo:

1. Abbey Road (10)

2. Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band (9.8)

3. Rubber Soul (9.6)

4. Revolver (9.5)

5. Magical Mystery Tour (9.2)

6. A Hard Day's Night (9.0)

7. Help! (8.6)

8. The White Album (8.5)

9. Please Please Me (8.3)

10. With the Beatles (7.7)

11. Beatles for Sale (7.3)

12. Let it Be (Naked) (7.0)

13. Let it Be (6.0)

(if it counts) 14. Yellow Submarine (3.0)

I imagine I'll get some shit for underrating the White Album, so be it.

I actually think The White Album should be lower. Some great songs on there but some not so great. A lot of them needed reworking. Albums like Please Please Me and With the Beatles were more cohesive. And Let It Be (Naked) is superior to the orignal Let It Be. I don't even count the original as a real album, it felt unfinished.

Abbey Road and Sgt. Peppers just proved how much of a genius Paul is. He really knew how to channel the band's talent. Lennon just wanted to rock and roll.

A couple of songs on The White Album was just Paul fucking around in the studio. The only reason Wild Honey Pie made the cut because Patti Boyd liked it. I guess he couldn't say no to her. Damn she was a fine looking woman.

Let It Be was supposed to be a fun, stripped down album because the White Album sessions were grueling and tense. They should have just started out the sessions in John or George's home, brought the camera crew in for a few days, kick them out, and then go to Abbey Road and finish it up. There was all this other bullshit going on though.

What I liked most is that even though they had the fame and Beatlemania, they still were innovative in what they did in the studio and on film. Their musicianship needs to be more appreciated. Paul alone can record an album all by himself playing bass, guitar, keyboards, write and sing. He was a musical genius. Lennon wrote the best lyrics. George definitely edged out over Paul on the guitar. He and Paul were evenly matched for the End, definitely superior to Lennon's though I liked the sound. Something is one of the top five best Beatles songs, and that guitar was so good it can almost compared to Clapton's solo for While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Paul's an excellent bass player though. Definitely a better bassist than guitarists though he is a good guitarist.

Just a shame Lennon was murdered before a reunion could happen. It seemed like it was going heading that way. I remember in Shallow Hal when they talked of a Beatles reunion with George, Paul and Ringo with Clapton filling in for John. That would have been amazing. I can see Clapton, Paul and Ringo doing a few shows. Maybe have Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Elton John and others play. Who wouldn't want to do a Beatles tribute with the surviving Beatles?

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

He does but he is more viewed as a songwriter than a musician. I mean there's been other bassists from that era that overshadow him. James Jamerson, John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones. But his bass parts really stood out. Especially from Rubber Soul and on.

He really kills it on Abbey Road. They all did. First time since Revolver they've played like a real band. They played together on Sgt. Peppers but that album was just something they couldn't do with just the four of them playing, they had help. Abbey Road was them playing as a real band.

• Like 2

Magical Mystery tour is da shit.

But the fool on the hill,
Sees the sun going down,
And the eyes in his head,
See the world spinning round!

All those songs tell a tiny story but expand like elastic intentions and innumerable possibilities in your head conspiring with a bountiful texture of soundscape and wondrous texture.

He does but he is more viewed as a songwriter than a musician. I mean there's been other bassists from that era that overshadow him. James Jamerson, John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones. But his bass parts really stood out. Especially from Rubber Soul and on.

He really kills it on Abbey Road. They all did. First time since Revolver they've played like a real band. They played together on Sgt. Peppers but that album was just something they couldn't do with just the four of them playing, they had help. Abbey Road was them playing as a real band.

Yeah man, right on- I was thinking of "You Never Give Me Your Money" when typing that post actually :lol:

This post needs more than one like.

Nah man the guitars on Bathroom Window.

The whole second side of Abbey Road, basically. I think Paul wanted to do the whole album as one medley but John wanted individual songs so they compromised.

Has anyone else picked up the Criterion blu-ray of A Hard Day's Night?

It's bloody fantastic!

I have been iffy about watching the movies. Always find the idea weird. Like the Colonel pretty much sabotaged Elvis's music career having him to movies.