Is Axl Our Elvis?

jimb0

For some reason I got caught up watching Elvis from Hawaii or some shit. And I remembered his 69 comeback performance only years before where he had returned and although a little older was just as bad ass and hip as when he left for the army. But now, I think this was in 74, only five years later he was bigger and not up to his usual standard. The way he blasted through jail house rock in hawaii was a joke, just like the way Axl's blasting through the hits.

I noticed a definite lack of passion, weight gain, and voice change in both. Although Elvis's voice change can be viewed as pleasant because it's deeper.

Both have resorted to wearing ridiculous over the top gawdy outfits, even if Axl's still rocking jeans.

Axl returned... pretty lean... although the voice was weak at first it got stronger as he carried on. The guy even sported a six pack at the second HOB New Years go around. And he was pretty damn close to it again in 2006... if you've seen the pic with his shirt open.

But after both returned, years later they just seemed to let themselves go. The weight gain, the half ass performances, the drinking...

So is Axl our Elvis?

Different styles of performing, I think the one thing they had in common is how messed up they got after the women in their lives left. Lisa Marie's known Axl for a while and would probably be the person who could pick out the similarities and differences better than anyone.. she also attracts celebrity weirdos *L*.

For some reason I got caught up watching Elvis from Hawaii or some shit. And I remembered his 69 comeback performance only years before where he had returned and although a little older was just as bad ass and hip as when he left for the army. But now, I think this was in 74, only five years later he was bigger and not up to his usual standard. The way he blasted through jail house rock in hawaii was a joke, just like the way Axl's blasting through the hits.

I noticed a definite lack of passion, weight gain, and voice change in both. Although Elvis's voice change can be viewed as pleasant because it's deeper.

Both have resorted to wearing ridiculous over the top gawdy outfits, even if Axl's still rocking jeans.

Axl returned... pretty lean... although the voice was weak at first it got stronger as he carried on. The guy even sported a six pack at the second HOB New Years go around. And he was pretty damn close to it again in 2006... if you've seen the pic with his shirt open.

But after both returned, years later they just seemed to let themselves go. The weight gain, the half ass performances, the drinking...

So is Axl our Elvis?

Couple of things.....

Elvis was trim and in shape at the time of Aloha from Hawaii. He's tan, lean and had actually lost weight.

The reason he ran through the hits was because he felt they were "kid stuff" and honestly was sort of embarrassed by his early material. He felt that all those rock hits were kid stuff, at least for him, and he was more interested in his new material. That's kind of the opposite of Axl, who leans mainly on old material. Elvis ran through the hits and put his passion into his new material; Axl lingers in the hits and his "new material" is 5 years old. Even toward the end of Elvis' life, he was still putting out a record at least once per year. Axl hasn't done any in five.

Elvis' voice had already changed long before. Go compare Hound Dog to It's Now or Never. During the Army years his voice developed a sort of much deeper, operatic tone to it.

Elvis wore the jumpsuits, but in context, in 1973, so did pretty much every big rock star. In 1973, for instance, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, and David Bowie all wore a type of jumpsuit. Look at Mick Jagger's from the 1972 American Tour; it's not far removed from the Elvis jumpsuit. They were hip in the early 1970s. They became a joke when Elvis kept wearing them until he died. In contrast, do you still many other rock lead singers dressing as Axl does or wearing a Hulk Hogan mustache? One guy was hip for his time, Axl isn't.

Axl is definitely not Elvis in 1973. Axl's not playing specials that are being televised by satellite getting rave reviews with MILLIONS of people watching. Elvis in 1973 could sing great, was in great shape, and for that time was stylish.

Elvis' decline was a rapid one--from 1974 to 1977. But '73 was his last great year...And he began to degrade only after his divorce with Priscilla was finalized late in 1973.

Axl is more comparable to Elvis in 1977: Both were overweight, going on tours that never ended, visiting the same cities and areas over and over every single year with no passion in it, going through the motions, both shadows of their former glory, both wearing what were now considered gaudy, over the top, unflattering outfits, circling the drain. That's where Axl is.

So is Axl our Elvis?

Over the years I've drawn MANY comparisons between Axl, Elvis and Michael Jackson. With respect to the original line up split and the fan base, there's a ton of similarities with Pink Floyd as well.

Over the years I've drawn MANY comparisons between Axl, Elvis and Michael Jackson. With respect to the original line up split and the fan base, there's a ton of similarities with Pink Floyd as well.

Really? Just curious as to what those are. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan and I don't really see what the similarities are. I guess except for the refusal to reunite.

So is Axl our Elvis?

Couple of things.....

Elvis was trim and in shape at the time of Aloha from Hawaii. He's tan, lean and had actually lost weight.

The reason he ran through the hits was because he felt they were "kid stuff" and honestly was sort of embarrassed by his early material. He felt that all those rock hits were kid stuff, at least for him, and he was more interested in his new material. That's kind of the opposite of Axl, who leans mainly on old material. Elvis ran through the hits and put his passion into his new material; Axl lingers in the hits and his "new material" is 5 years old. Even toward the end of Elvis' life, he was still putting out a record at least once per year. Axl hasn't done any in five.

Elvis' voice had already changed long before. Go compare Hound Dog to It's Now or Never. During the Army years his voice developed a sort of much deeper, operatic tone to it.

Elvis wore the jumpsuits, but in context, in 1973, so did pretty much every big rock star. In 1973, for instance, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, and David Bowie all wore a type of jumpsuit. Look at Mick Jagger's from the 1972 American Tour; it's not far removed from the Elvis jumpsuit. They were hip in the early 1970s. They became a joke when Elvis kept wearing them until he died. In contrast, do you still many other rock lead singers dressing as Axl does or wearing a Hulk Hogan mustache? One guy was hip for his time, Axl isn't.

Axl is definitely not Elvis in 1973. Axl's not playing specials that are being televised by satellite getting rave reviews with MILLIONS of people watching. Elvis in 1973 could sing great, was in great shape, and for that time was stylish.

Elvis' decline was a rapid one--from 1974 to 1977. But '73 was his last great year...And he began to degrade only after his divorce with Priscilla was finalized late in 1973.

Axl is more comparable to Elvis in 1977: Both were overweight, going on tours that never ended, visiting the same cities and areas over and over every single year with no passion in it, going through the motions, both shadows of their former glory, both wearing what were now considered gaudy, over the top, unflattering outfits, circling the drain. That's where Axl is.

Great and realistic points. Now that I think back Elvis was quite slim in Hawaii. I was never HUGE into Elvis so please pardon my mistakes, of which... you've definitely brought up great and legit points.

Really? Just curious as to what those are. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan and I don't really see what the similarities are. I guess except for the refusal to reunite.

Are you a Roger Waters Guy? Are you an Axl Guy?

One guy from each situation made it clear that he felt he was the biggest reason for the glory days of each (Axl/Waters). Fans in both situations took a very "Them Or Us" stance. Fans would regularly come down on fans who claimed to be fans of both sides or at least the side they didn't agree with. With both, there was a big continued uproar in the press and public for years over who really deserved the band name. That's the type of stuff I mean.

One guy from each situation made it clear that he felt he was the biggest reason for the glory days of each (Axl/Waters). Fans in both situations took a very "Them Or Us" stance. Fans would regularly come down on fans who claimed to be fans of both sides or at least the side they didn't agree with. With both, there was a big continued uproar in the press and public for years over who really deserved the band name. That's the type of stuff I mean.

I guess I see what you mean. I guess the way I saw it was "no Waters, no Floyd". What I meant in relation to Guns N Roses was I didn't see Pink Floyd drop everyone and try to continue with a fully different band. The new Pink Floyd (which I never accepted) was three core members, and Waters didn't try to tour as Pink Floyd, he just didn't think they should (which I agreed with). So I see Axl being in both Gilmour and Waters in that respect. Its not like Waters toured on his own and called it Pink Floyd. He was very clear it was a solo career, whereas Gilmour, Mason, and Wright took the Axl approach and continued touring the same material and passing the show off as Pink Floyd, which you can't have without Waters.

I do see what you mean though.

So is Axl our Elvis?

Couple of things.....

I agree with all of this.

I would also add that Elvis did not treat his fans like excrement and continued to release new material.

The thing that needs to be remembered is that Wright wasn't part of the Floyd when they carried on and really didn't come back on board full time until the 87 tour. Mason was in fact the only original member. The big difference is that Floyd were always a 'faceless' band after Syd left which made acceptance easier. It's a lot easier than Axl's situation, losing a huge star like Slash.

Some similarities, but Elvis remained awesome till the end.

Before I say this, I should clarify that I'm a HUGE Elvis fan but, not many people would agree that Elvis was awesome til the end. Again, not only am I a huge fan but my personal favorite era is 70-77 so I personally believe that. I'm just saying most people out there use the phrase "Old, fat Elvis" and they're usually referring to any time after 1970 when they do. That's incredibly inaccurate as Elvis didn't even get "fat" until around 1976, but I digress.

You can find kick ass pictures of both Axl and Elvis at age 42 but you can also find wildly unflattering pics of both too. Same thing with audio; you can get some incredible performances from 1977 of Elvis, but you can also easily find some awful ones.