So GNR Handed Over A New Album in 2010?

Millions

I heard this rumour today, and wondered if anyone else had heard about this?

Apparently the follow-up to Chinese Democracy was handed over to the record company 3 years ago, but was rejected.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Why was it rejected? Financial reasons? The quality of the songs? As a response to Axl's previous refusal to promote Chinese Democracy?

If this is true, what the fuck happens now?

I heard this rumour today, and wondered if anyone else had heard about this?

The source was MSL. He claimed that he received info which stated that Axl had handed in a self-titled new record in 2010.

It was never verified by anybody else.

MSL, from his board:

"The plan at one point was to release "Chinese Democracy" when they did and then release another new album a year or two later. Best Buy would have had the exclusive on the second album as well. I'm not sure if their rights to the next album expire at some point or if they had an option they could decline. But when Axl hinted at another album at the same time and place one year after Chinese, that is what he was referring to.

Obviously we did not get another album in November 2009. The band hadn't even hit the road yet to promote Chinese. Plans change based on market conditions, response to previous product, etc. So just because the plan at one point was to release two albums one year or two years apart doesn't mean over time that it might become clear that other plans have greater potential.

Had the label released a new album in the Summer of 2010, the subsequent touring would have been in support of BOTH albums. We've seen bands do this many times. Some examples from contemporary acts would be Metallica's Load & ReLoad, Radiohead's Kid A & Amnesiac, System of a Down's Mezmerize & Hypnotize, etc.

UMG chose for whatever reason to not release another album in 2010. They may have been caught off guard and didn't want to release it on short notice. They may have felt that the band still had to prove themselves by promoting Chinese before they would consider another album.

Axl has many options as far as how much material he wants to release with origins from the Buckethead days compared to how much material he wants to release with origins from recent years. Do you use some material from each? That's for him to decide. Had the 2010 album released, it would have been material that was ready to go before the 2008 album. For whatever reason, it didn't happen. So back to the drawing board you go. Whatever album we get in 2014 or beyond may have some of those songs or a lot of those songs. I don't know.

Artists are often whimsical in nature. He may have woken up one day and said fuck it, let's clear the vault and get that shit out in time for Reading. When he was told no, it's too soon, he may have been very upset. We know he quit the band and asked for all tour dates to be cancelled. He's a very emotional guy. He obviously has people in his life that care about him and encouraged him to change his mind. I'm glad they did because GNR is riding high right now and I think with some more luck, the next record has a chance at some level of mainstream acceptance."

If Axl really wanted the songs out there, the band would have performed them by now.

Billy Corgan put Machina II out without record company involvement for free online, I don't see why GNR wouldn't have done the same thing just to get the songs out there to the fans.

Maybe it was just the fact that the album became a drawn out ordeal that he didn't want to deal with Iovine's crew anymore, at least at that time.

It didn't turn out the way Axl wanted it to, and I don't think he's gotten over it, or ever will. But "it's show biz, Bubela".

It reads like bits of info he's received mixed in with his own Axl apologism.

I've got no clue if any of it is true or not. Wasn't it Manets who first brought us the rumour the next album would be self-titled or not? I still don't trust MSL because of Blood in the Water; the vocals I'm almost certain are Axl, but the rest is a Prostitute remix. Subsequently MSL and Hitman claimed it was a Prostitute remix with new vocals, but they never mentioned Prostitute when they first leaked the clip. And the Axl vocals are of a markedly lower sound quality to the crisp clean Prostitute remix bits which sound lie they were taken from Rock Band. But then how would MSL have those 15 or so secs of vocals in the first place? Who knows? I sure as hell don't.

At this point, it doesn't make a difference if what he says is true or not. We'll either get new music or we won't.

It reads like bits of info he's received mixed in with his own Axl apologism.

I've got no clue if any of it is true or not. Wasn't it Manets who first brought us the rumour the next album would be self-titled or not? I still don't trust MSL because of Blood in the Water; the vocals I'm almost certain are Axl, but the rest is a Prostitute remix. Subsequently MSL and Hitman claimed it was a Prostitute remix with new vocals, but they never mentioned Prostitute when they first leaked the clip. And the Axl vocals are of a markedly lower sound quality to the crisp clean Prostitute remix bits which sound lie they were taken from Rock Band. But then how would MSL have those 15 or so secs of vocals in the first place? Who knows? I sure as hell don't.

At this point, it doesn't make a difference if what he says is true or not. We'll either get new music or we won't.

Dude, Blood In The Water is a GNR remix. Yes, there's stuff from Prostitute thrown there, but it doesn't make it any less official.

And please remove the FALSE from the title. This is pretty much truth. MSL saying it's truth should be enough.

Edited by ManetsBR
  • Like 2

Manets, explain the huge difference in sound quality between the Prostitute remix bits and the "blood in the water" vocals (which sound like they're on loop)? I believe that about 5 secs is genuinely from a new song, the rest is padding and looping. Why? I don't know, but I hear what I hear.

Manets, explain the huge difference in sound quality between the Prostitute remix bits and the "blood in the water" vocals (which sound like they're on loop)? I believe that about 5 secs is genuinely from a new song, the rest is padding and looping. Why? I don't know, but I hear what I hear.

Have you listened to the vocals closely? It's actually very high quality, there's a lot going on there. Backing vocals, different voices and all sorts.

Updated the title to not cause any confusion. I'll keep the thread open if you guys want to discuss the delusions, unless the OP requests it be closed.

Not sure why this is suddenly a hot topic when it was already discussed back in 2010. I spoke about it here back then and it was being discussed on music industry websites as well.

As for Blood in the Water, everyone is going to have the whole song soon anyway, so no need for me to comment.

In conclusion, GNR turned in an album and wanted it rushed out in time for reading. UMG said it was too short of notice. It was discussed at the time. Old news. Now three years later a MYGNR moderator is claiming it's false even though he doesn't know what he's talking about. Lovely.

Are you referring to an official release or a leak?